U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 53,194 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Virginia Beach, but I am looking for a change soon. Kentucky seems to be a good match. From what I can see I am sure that I would prefer Lexington over Louisville. I am an elementary school teacher, and my wife is a restaurant manager. Are the job markets for those professions doing well in Lexington and the surrounding areas? What are some of the things fun to do around the area?

My main concerns:
Crime
Friendliness (especially those in stores and eating establishments)
Climate (want all 4 seasons, with mild winters and summers)
Traffic

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Default Come on Down! The Price Might be Right!

What about Mississippi if ya'll want to venture further afield ---- there was an article in the local paper recently that I recall- The Clarion Ledger-- about needing teachers and restaurant folk... on the Miss. Gulf Coast -... everything will be "new" Might wanna check it out...

Old 07-08-2006, 03:53 AM

108 posts, read 698,173 times
well, since I can't talk you into moving to the Ville (sigh), I guess I'll suck it up and tell you about our little neighbor to the East (Lexington).

Lexington, Kentucky, known as the "Horse Capital of the World," is located in the heart of the Bluegrass region. It is the second-largest city in Kentucky, after Louisville. In 2005, the population estimate given by the U.S. Census Bureau was 268,080 (i.e. Lexington's population = Fayette's population).

Anyway, on to your main concerns:

Crime

Crime in Lexington is not too bad...there are a few rough parts and UK's campus does have some issues, but overall, the city is pretty safe (I mean, come on, it's Kentucky...pretty much every city in Kentucky is safe). Honestly though, I really don't think this would be an issue. I'd give it an A-

Friendliness (especially those in stores and eating establishments)

I have had mixed experiences in Lexington. A lot of people tend to say the Lexington is friendlier than Louisville (makes sense as it is a smaller town) and I have had several friendly visits there. Overall, I'd say most of the people in the city are pretty nice and laid back (you'll understand if you move here).

That being said, I have had some times when I get annoyed with what I call the "Lex attitude". Some (not all...just trying to be balanced) people in both the city and stae look at Lexington like a gem and have a condosending attitude towards the rest of KY. Also, I have found that if you are not a UK basketball fan, you may have some problems relating to people (again, not all, just some). If you are a duke fan.....don't move here....Racial issues have been told to me by some of my friends, but I have no way to confirm that.

On the whole, I'd give Lexington a B on friendliness. It is a pretty friendly town and most of the residents are laid back (except for UK basketball or the State rivalry..or in extreme cases...Louisville). There are many nices areas of the city too (particularly outside of the city....the horse farms are beautiful). Only negative marks are some UK fans (they get pretty passionate), a somewhat condoscending attitude (didn't really factor much though because you get this everywhere), and the fact that there is perhaps, a more narrow niche for you to fit into (white, middle class, UK fan, etc).

Climate (want all 4 seasons, with mild winters and summers)

Before I rate Lexington Climate wise, I'll tell you I am a tad bias. I have lived in KY 21 years, so I am use to the weather here. People from the deep south find our weather great while far northerners find it horrible in the summer. Also, if you are going to compare Kentucky's climate to say, Hawaii, it is going to be bad. So instead, I'll try to take a more balanced approach and describe the weather to you.

The average temperature in Lexington is 54.9 F (13 C). Annual precipitation is 45.68 inches (1.2 m). Lexington and the Bluegrass have four distinct seasons that include cool plateau breezes, moderate nights in the summer, and no prolonged periods of heat, cold, rain, wind, or snow. Summers can be very hot and humid; however (last summer it was in the 90s with 70-80% humidity...KY is god aweful when it is like that). Usually though, the only unbearable part of summer hits late july and August. Winters are pretty mild (compared to most places) with the forst of the cold usually coming in February. Some years it has been in the 60s in December. Snow in Kentucky does occur during the winter months, but it usually doesn't last more than a day or two. Spring and fall are pretty much perfect weather in KY (no humidity and in the 60-70s)

Lexington has the dubious distinction of being recognized as the #1 worst city for spring allergies in the fall of 2005 by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (Kentucky is bad in this area overall especially if you have allergies already).

Spring: A+
Summer: B (until Late July and August/September...if it is a good year B, if it is a bad year it is a D).
Fall: A+
Winter: B (it is mild but I like cold and a lot of snow so I am bias)

Traffic

Lexington is strategically located at the intersection of Interstates 64 and 75. However, the city's downtown is not served by any controlled-access highways, and traffic congestion is a significant problem. New Circle Road (KY 4) acts as a beltway around the city (not limited access freeway which is what is needed). Both it and Man-O-War can be horrible and from what I hear, after UK games, traffic is aweful. From my own experience, traffic can be hit or miss...my friend who travel to lexington though, hate driving in it. I give it a C- on this aspect (simply because a city of this size should not have the traffic problems they do).

Old 07-08-2006, 03:55 AM

108 posts, read 698,173 times
Overall, Lexington is a beautiful town, has a lot to offer the right person, has pretty good weather most of the year, and has a lot of unique features to it. Only complaints are a somehwat self inflated attitude that some residents hold, some of the UK fanatics (not ordinary fans...they are fine even if I don't root for their team...I'm talkiung about the other ones that go a little too far), and a somewhat smaller niche for residents who move to the city to fit into.

Hope this helps and hopefully, some of my fellow forum members will rate the city as well.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 21,433 times
I was born and raised there and find it a good city to live in. I will say that it seems they are building a new restaurant every time you turn around. Your wife wouldn't have trouble getting a job and I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 33,018 times
Lexington was ranked #2 behind Boulder CO., for Best Cities to Relocate a Family. The study was conducted by Primacy Relocation in 2005. It ranked the cities in the categories of cost of living, schools, crime, taxes and home appreciation.

While traffic is a bit congested on the main streets during rush hour and major events, I am in sales and can get around town almost any time of town in 20 minutes or less.

I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky