Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Kentucky was neutral in the Civil War and did in fact have a Confederate Government in Bowling Green, KY even though it was short lived. Kentucky is represented by the 13th star on the CSA Battle Flag, so to say that Kentucky was a Union State is false. In addition, Kentucky and Louisville became very sympathetic to the Confederate cause after the War. I am so tired of people pretending Kentucky is something it is not. Kentucky was not ever and is not today Midwestern, AT ALL. There is some Midwestern influences, but minimal and mostly confined to extreme Northern Kentucky counties (Boone, Kenton, Campbell). I will not deny that there are some Midwestern influences in Louisville, but to classify Kentucky and Louisville as anything but Southern is laughable to me. Come to Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cincinnati, Rochester, DC, New York City and ask them what region Louisville and Kentucky belong in...I bet most would say the South, because that is what it is. There is nothing to be ashamed about with being in the South, in fact, the South is the fastest growing region in our nation today. But please, quit trying to portray Louisville as Midwestern, it is not at all.
Despite the fact I'm a New England Yankee, I can honestly say that your post if quite factual. KY is a part of the upper South and not the lower Midwest. People just simply attempt to rewrite history or misrepresent the facts. Wikipedia is not always factually correct and often times mistakes are presented as fact. I don't know of single person in the Northeast that would consider KY a part of the Midwest. This seems to be a problem with people that live in the Midwest. Perhaps they have expansionist ideals in mind for the future? LOL

BTW. I do enjoy reading some of the posts on KY in this forum especially those from natives. It gives the uninitiated like myself an introduction to some of the culture of the state and also allows us a way to see how people in KY view their state vs. people that don't live in KY.

Being from Connecticut I have more than once seen people claim CT is a part of NY and not New England. Same kind of rubbish the people of KY have to put up with by the people claiming it is a part of the Midwest. Enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Despite the fact I'm a New England Yankee, I can honestly say that your post if quite factual. KY is a part of the upper South and not the lower Midwest. People just simply attempt to rewrite history or misrepresent the facts. Wikipedia is not always factually correct and often times mistakes are presented as fact. I don't know of single person in the Northeast that would consider KY a part of the Midwest. This seems to be a problem with people that live in the Midwest. Perhaps they have expansionist ideals in mind for the future? LOL

BTW. I do enjoy reading some of the posts on KY in this forum especially those from natives. It gives the uninitiated like myself an introduction to some of the culture of the state and also allows us a way to see how people in KY view their state vs. people that don't live in KY.

Being from Connecticut I have more than once seen people claim CT is a part of NY and not New England. Same kind of rubbish the people of KY have to put up with by the people claiming it is a part of the Midwest. Enough.
My parents moved from NY to Cincinnati to teach at University of Cincinnati and they thought Cincinnati was the South. For a NYer or New Englander Cincinnati and Kentucky probably feels like the Deep South lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
My parents moved from NY to Cincinnati to teach at University of Cincinnati and they thought Cincinnati was the South. For a NYer or New Englander Cincinnati and Kentucky probably feels like the Deep South lol.
Cincinnati does not feel like the South to me though. But I also have family from Texas and in Texas. But when you get a few miles South of Cincinnati past the border towns across the river from downtown Cincinnati you can tell that you are in the South.

I've been to the Deep South before and it is a little bit different than the upper South. Just like there are differences from the Southern New England states vs. the Northern New England states. Same region to be sure but there are some small cultural differences.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Quote:
Cincinnati does not feel like the South to me though. But I also have family from Texas and in Texas. But when you get a few miles South of Cincinnati past the border towns across the river from downtown Cincinnati you can tell that you are in the South.

I've been to the Deep South before and it is a little bit different than the upper South. Just like there are differences from the Southern New England states vs. the Northern New England states. Same region to be sure but there are some small cultural differences.
It seemed SOUTHERN to them moving from NYC but the old joke is VA seems like the Deep South to Northeasterns. Obviously looking back it is more Midwestern with some Southern and Appalachian overtones.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:32 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:

I am not arguing KY is Midwest. It is pretty inland southern. East of Lexington is Appalachian which is way different. But it DOES have some Midwest culture and most all of it is Louisville or NKY.

Also Louisville was squarely Union and in fact a major union stronghold as the second largest city in the south at the time

Here is one of the best articles on this in awhile. There is even a Louisville accent. It's not truly southern, or Midwestern. It's really its own dialect in many ways, and Cincinnati has its own dialect too.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/6...ord-erin-hills

Louisville is very Midwest in so many ways, and this gets argued all over the net for years. Usually, there are "know it alls" who are secretly jealous of Louisville (and the south's) recent success so they call Louisville southern as a "put down" to prove that (insert decaying legacy city name) is culturally superior to Louisville. A lot of the TRUE southern culture in Louisville (or Cincinnati), are from miles away in rural KY or other remote part of the rural south and have moved to Louisville (or Cincinnati) usually for labor or manufacturing jobs. In fact, Louisville got ranked by Forbes number one for manufacturing

But this article sums up what many find so special about this part of the country as well.

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-27-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's all truly interesting. I personally enjoy looking at and learning about various demographics and how they relate to different states.
My only point is that since Kentucky is not, never has been a Midwestern state nor classified as one, why is this topic even in the Kentucky forum as you've already alluded to? I'm just asking. The Purchase area of Kentucky, Louisville and the most northern tip of KY closest to Cincinnati are not classified as part of the Midwest despite who has moved there or their geographic locations. How a person feels about an area or it's vibes, doesn't change what it factually is.
None of Kentucky can easily be classified as Midwestern or even lower Midwestern because factually it's not a Midwestern state. If one wants to discuss demographics without trying to reclassify what a state is, that's different.
I never knew a single person in Kentucky, Tennessee, or in the Midwest states that border Kentucky with the Ohio River that claimed Kentucky is a Midwestern state.

After I moved to Texas, I've run in to some people from Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi who do not claim Kentucky as a Southern state.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't remember hearing anybody ever proclaim Kentucky as a bonified Midwestern state. The way I've heard the proclamation stated is "Kentucky's not in the South" or "Kentucky ain't Southern".

Old 06-29-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I never knew a single person in Kentucky, Tennessee, or in the Midwest states that border Kentucky with the Ohio River that claimed Kentucky is a Midwestern state.

After I moved to Texas, I've run in to some people from Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi who do not claim Kentucky as a Southern state.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't remember hearing anybody ever proclaim Kentucky as a bonified Midwestern state. The way I've heard the proclamation stated is "Kentucky's not in the South" or "Kentucky ain't Southern".
Ditto. My Father's Father was from Texas and settled in Connecticut. I used to spend time with him as a youth and an adult. He would talk about growing up in TX and the work he did while there. We also spoke about the issue of southern states and northern states at least once. I don't recall him ever mentioning that KY was a part of the Midwest or even a Northern state.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 652,790 times
Quote:
I have ran across people from Central and Southern Alabama that don't consider Kentucky, Tennessee, or even Northern Alabama (pretty much any Upper South location) to be southern. Those areas although Southern are a bit different than say East TX, LA, MS, the southern halves of AL/GA, much of SC, and the FL Panhandle. If the South were Chocolate, think of the Upper South (S MO, KY, TN, far NE MS, N AL, N GA, NC, and much of VA and WV) as Milk Chocolate and the Deep South as Dark Chocolate.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:56 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Usually, there are "know it alls" who are secretly jealous of Louisville (and the south's) recent success so they call Louisville southern as a "put down" to prove that (insert decaying legacy city name) is culturally superior to Louisville.
That's a little paranoid wouldn't you say.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I have ran across people from Central and Southern Alabama that don't consider Kentucky, Tennessee, or even Northern Alabama (pretty much any Upper South location) to be southern. Those areas although Southern are a bit different than say East TX, LA, MS, the southern halves of AL/GA, much of SC, and the FL Panhandle. If the South were Chocolate, think of the Upper South (S MO, KY, TN, far NE MS, N AL, N GA, NC, and much of VA and WV) as Milk Chocolate and the Deep South as Dark Chocolate.
Those people are insular and uneducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky