Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
Nashville 30 50.00%
Cincinnati 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree. Notice, and even you pointed this out, that I said "almost". What that means is that most, not all, just most. Take a look and you would see that many, many mid-sized cities in the US have schools that have fit the description you just gave. Of course, the results are totally objection here, but most cities have institutions of higher learning that are more than capable in many ways.

No not really. If you will notice... I said that has a good national reputation as well. Yes, maybe the schools in the area have set up positive action in the area of the city, but not so much on a national level. Its hard for schools to do so, and will have to take a lot of time, money and action.

So sorry, not even close to "almost every" good sized city has a college that has deep roots and a good repuatation NATIONALLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 25,208 times
Nashville, Nashville, Nashville. Not even close.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM

180 posts, read 596,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
No not really. If you will notice... I said that has a good national reputation as well. Yes, maybe the schools in the area have set up positive action in the area of the city, but not so much on a national level. Its hard for schools to do so, and will have to take a lot of time, money and action.

So sorry, not even close to "almost every" good sized city has a college that has deep roots and a good repuatation NATIONALLY.

I'm not going to split hairs with you but trust me, ever city has a institution of higher learning that is good at something. Deep roots are very common with any. Do you think these schools are springing up overnight? The endowments are there and have been for years so the roots argument is just flat wrong. Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Cincy, Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Omaha, Columbus, and many more all have some great schools with national recognition in one or more of their majors. Some of those cities, like Nashville, have more than one school actually!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
I'm not going to split hairs with you but trust me, ever city has a institution of higher learning that is good at something. Deep roots are very common with any. Do you think these schools are springing up overnight? The endowments are there and have been for years so the roots argument is just flat wrong. Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Cincy, Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Omaha, Columbus, and many more all have some great schools with national recognition in one or more of their majors. Some of those cities, like Nashville, have more than one school actually!
Ok, well your still not getting it. I am talking about well known on a national level. Whether it be from acedemics or sports. Louisville, Cincinnati, and Nashville do. But there are smaller cities, and even larger ones that do not have so much of a well known national repuation. It local areas or even states, these schools may be well known, but nationally, not so much. Take Xavier in Cincinnati or University of Louisville, they are well known schools that get a lot of attention on a national level.

With Omaha, I can think of Creighton, but nationally you can ask someone in Jacksonville and they would not be able to tell you were Creighton is.

And not really, I do not think "these schools are springing up overnight." That combats what I have been saying. I have been saying that schools need to establish roots and long tradition in a community.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM

231 posts, read 849,390 times
Tough call, we're moving back to Cincy because we miss all there is to do (and friends) but Nashville is really nice too. I say you can't go wrong with either one!!

Just depends on what you like more..More music or more sports.. Cincy zoo is one of the best in the country!! We spent 6+hours there one day and still didn't see everything..

with nashville you have a better chance of running into a famous country singer or two... faith hill comes to mind

Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Hilarious post! Especially considering it's coming from a Mod! Eitherway, city populations mean nothing, it's the MSA population numbers that matter. I really do take exception to your last sentence. Especially the part about walkability. You do realize that Cincy is set among some rather steep bluffs and hills don't you? That's not exactly the most "walkable" terrain. Eitherway, I'd love to see some comparisons from you to back your claims up with.
You do realize that I quoted MSA populations right? Can a mod not have educated opinions? I do not think you read my post clearly or you would see that I quoted MSA populations based on 2008 census estimates. Nashville and Louisville aren't far off in that category, and Cincy is a good clip larger. Cincy is INFINITELY more urban than Nashville. In many respects, Louisville is also more urban than Nashville. Louisville still retains a larger urbanized area, which is defined as contigious census tracts of 1000 or more people per square mile.

In short, Nashville can't hold a candle to the urban neighborhoods of Cincinnati, or Louisville for that matter (which is around 300k smaller in MSA). Why does having hills make a city not walkable? That is nonsense in my book. Where in Nashville do you have urban structures like in Over the Rhine? Historic art deco highrises? Multiple walkable urban areas with history like Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, Clifton, etc? To be frank, even Covington, KY is more urban than most of Nashville.

Nashville has a nice, tourist friendly, compact downtown. It has really only two nodes of pedestrian activity, which are Broadway and 2nd street. There is very little in the way of non tourist oriented retail. The attractions focus on nightlife which I admit is great if you love country especially.

The west end of Nashville is nice, fairly walkable, somewhat historic, and upscale. Still, it pales in comparison to the urban vitality of a Mt Adams or Hyde Park or even Highlands in Louisville.

Nashville is a great town, but sometimes its residents and people think it is bigger than it is....

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-29-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Nashville's music scene and nightlife are not all connected to just country music. There is a variety of music entertainment in Nashville.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM

180 posts, read 596,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You do realize that I quoted MSA populations right? Can a mod not have educated opinions? I do not think you read my post clearly or you would see that I quoted MSA populations based on 2008 census estimates. Nashville and Louisville aren't far off in that category, and Cincy is a good clip larger. Cincy is INFINITELY more urban than Nashville. In many respects, Louisville is also more urban than Nashville. Louisville still retains a larger urbanized area, which is defined as contigious census tracts of 1000 or more people per square mile.

In short, Nashville can't hold a candle to the urban neighborhoods of Cincinnati, or Louisville for that matter (which is around 300k smaller in MSA). Why does having hills make a city not walkable? That is nonsense in my book. Where in Nashville do you have urban structures like in Over the Rhine? Historic art deco highrises? Multiple walkable urban areas with history like Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, Clifton, etc? To be frank, even Covington, KY is more urban than most of Nashville.

Nashville has a nice, tourist friendly, compact downtown. It has really only two nodes of pedestrian activity, which are Broadway and 2nd street. There is very little in the way of non tourist oriented retail. The attractions focus on nightlife which I admit is great if you love country especially.

The west end of Nashville is nice, fairly walkable, somewhat historic, and upscale. Still, it pales in comparison to the urban vitality of a Mt Adams or Hyde Park or even Highlands in Louisville.

Nashville is a great town, but sometimes its residents and people think it is bigger than it is....

I'm not going to argue with you about this.

In terms of urbanity and all that jazz, I never EVER said Nashville beat either city. You are putting words in my mouth to try and back up flimsy claims you have made throughout this thread.

If you want national exposure, nightlife, wealth, and oppurtunities, Nashville is the hands down leader. Both Louisville and Cincy have had some good times, but they are not on the level of Nashville in growth or oppurtunity. I think the numerous publications that have Nashville ranked as THE top, or next to the top, places to live, work, play, etc. should back that up. Louisville, well, it took a NCAA tournament game in Nashville for Ricky P. to decide he needed, and Louisville needed, a new arena downtown. Now the ENTIRE state is paying for that boondoggle project that is a joke! I suppose what I am trying to say is, new downtown arena, 4th Street Live....sometimes immitation is the best form of flattery. Been to Nashville in the last couple of months, recession or not, it isn't the same.

Now let's try to get back on topic please.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
I agree with Michael. Nashville destroy's Louisville on a national level. You got country music, two PROFESSIONAL sports teams, tons of tourist attractions...even better hospitals. To be fair, I don't know that much about Cincy, so I can't say much about them.

Tennessee overall is gaining good growth. Kentucky is getting...??? Not much. Clarksville is slated to take over Chattanooga and become the 4th largest city in the state. Kentucky could be a mirror image of Tennessee if they were actually progressive. Example: put more tourism in the mountain area of KY like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
I've been to Nashville and was underwhelmed. Seriously from what I saw I don't get the buzz. Outside of downtown the place just seems not that city-fied (which is maybe what people like about it, dunno).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky