Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 61,947 times

Advertisements

I have a few positions which I am considering in three different states. What I have seen of Kentucky appeals to me. The job opportunity which I am considering is in Williamsburg. I have a few questions about the area.

If I were looking at a property in the 3,000 - 3,500 sq. ft. range ($250K - $325K) on a plot of land between .5 acres and 3 acres, what sort of property taxes could I expect to pay?

I have a wife and three boys (ages 5-14). All three boys are involved in sports (e.g. baseball and martial arts primarily but also basketball and football). Which area would be best suited for us? I would like to have some land (room to play baseball and move around).

Any advice or comments about the area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
Question, how much of commute to work would you consider?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I am NOT a fan of public schools in Kentucky and think that they are border-line terrible in terms of educational quality. However, considering that there are not any private schools in the region that I know of (except for Cornerstone Christian in London, and I'm not a big fan of most Christian schools, either,) your best bet might be just to live in the country near Corbin, pay an annual tuition rate and send your kids to Corbin Independent Schools.

If I had to live in that part of the state--which I wouldn't if I had $1B dumped on my lap--and had kids, I might just do that. Also, Corbin is the regional hub of the tri-county area (Laurel, Whitley and Knox Counties), so you are more likely to find leagues of extracurricular activities in which your kids can participate.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
If I had to live in that part of the state--which I wouldn't if I had $1B dumped on my lap--and had kids, I might just do that. Also, Corbin is the regional hub of the tri-county area (Laurel, Whitley and Knox Counties), so you are more likely to find leagues of extracurricular activities in which your kids can participate.
Believe me, we don't want you living here either. Especially with your attitude, grow up already.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Question, how much of commute to work would you consider?
My current commute is 1-1.5 hours each way, so as long as the commute was less than that I would be happy.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM

Since the topic of schools has been raised, what are opinions regarding the school systems in Williamsburg, Corbin, and London? My youngest child will be going into first grade in September. The middle child will be in seventh grade. The oldest will be a freshman in high school.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1836 View Post
Since the topic of schools has been raised, what are opinions regarding the school systems in Williamsburg, Corbin, and London? My youngest child will be going into first grade in September. The middle child will be in seventh grade. The oldest will be a freshman in high school.

Corbin schools are very good,IMO. Our kids go to Laurel County schools (London), and I have several issues with Laurel Co. I'll elaborate later, but the short answer is Corbin.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Believe me, we don't want you living here either. Especially with your attitude, grow up already.
Yes, and you give me nice, warm, tingly feelings inside with your Appalachian cyber-hospitality and -warmth...

Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Does anyone know much about the Somerset area or Wayne County? Would either of these areas be too far to commute to Williamsburg? If not, how do they compare with Corbin and London?

Given their proximity to Lake Cumberland, they appear to have some beautiful property locations. Any opinions?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Between Somerset, Monticello (Wayne Co.), London, Williamsburg, and Corbin, go with Corbin just by virtue of the public schools alone.

London is the nicest town of all listed, but their public schools (again, like most in KY) leave something to be desired.

Somerset, Monticello and Williamsburg will just be a waste of your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky