U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 15,382 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me find the right towns to check out real estate? We want to move from CT because we need a slightly bigger house and I want enough land to have a horse but to have these things in CT you need to have a lot of money.
We need a low priced house - 4 bedroom 1.5 bath - no greater than say $75,000 in a nice town with nice friendly people - but not too friendly. lol. A town with easier on the pocket zoning for horses - like maybe no zoning or 1 or 2 acres required. You know, a rural town. We need a well - but I noticed a lot of the properties have a public water supply. We're sour on that because our water company in CT just upped the rates 40% ON TOP OF THE $40 something A MONTH WE ALREADY PAY!
I like the country but my husband doesn't want to drive more than say 10 miles away to get to civilization.
Hopefully there is a decent high school for the kids?
I would appreciate any help!
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM

108 posts, read 697,963 times
That certainly is a tall order to fill Horsejane but I'll try and see what I can do to help you out. I'll try to narrow this down step by step.

Quote:
I like the country but my husband doesn't want to drive more than say 10 miles away to get to civilization.
We'll start with this since this will probably be the easiest thing to narrow down. The vast majority of Kentucky is very rural. A generalization for most of the state would be huge areas of farmland/woodland with the occasional small country town. This is especially true in the Southern, Western, and Eastern portions of the state where would can travel several hours before reach the next bastion of civilization. This fact (in my own opinion) is one of the reasons why Kentucky is still such a beautiful state and one reason why I think you would enjoy living here.

I have no clue what your husband considers "civilization"...whether he would like a community of greater than 20,000 or greater than say 75,000. Or he could simply be refering to areas that have rich cultural/city like atmospheres. Because I don't really know what he is wanting, I'll er on the conservative side and assume that he would like to live relatively close to at least a mid-sized metro area (greater than 250,000). If I am wrong in assuming this, I would be happy to provide additional information on smaller areas.

10 miles away to get to civilization and with low priced housing...This probably isn't going to fit well with the numbers I gave in the above paragraph (especially since you'd like some lower price housing/land areas). But, all is not lost. How about a smaller sized community (say, 20,000 to 50,000) that is within30-45 minutes of a larger sized city? That way, you can still enjoy the rural setting, but your husband has access to a town (or if he would like to drive a bit farther, a large city)? Assuming this is still A-Okay with you, I'll continue.

Quote:
We need a low priced house - 4 bedroom 1.5 bath - no greater than say $75,000 in a nice town with nice friendly people....A town with easier on the pocket zoning for horses... We need a well - but I noticed a lot of the properties have a public water supply. Hopefully there is a decent high school for the kids
Okay, assuming my previous suggestion was acceptable, we'll take a look at some of the communities you might like, in and around the commonwealth. As for horses and regulations, I don't really have a clue about that...you'll need to either talk to someone else on here or contact the local communities you're looking at. I have a feeling that most places have fairly relaxed regulations (so long as you aren't neglecting the animal, etc..). Kentucky is famous for its horse industry and as you can imagine, horses are especially popular in the state. It terms of a well, a lot of rural areas have them...one thing to note though, you have to boil your well water for it to be safe to drink. Others, you might end up with a bad case of...well, you know...

Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Now on to the fun stuff. Based on your post and what I have listed so far, I'll give you three areas you may want to look into:

Louisville area (not the city itself but several of its smaller, surrounding communities). Louisville is Kentucky's most populous city with a population of 699,827 (Census estimate for 2005). The metro area is 1.2 million. This would be good for your husband, especially if he enjoys a larger city feel (do a search for Louisville on wikipedia.org to find out about the community/cultural activities/sports/etc..). For you though, we'll look at several smaller communities nor farther than 30-45 miles outside of Louisville. These are in no particular order.

1. Bardstown, KY - Bardstown is a city in Nelson County, Kentucky. The population was 10,374 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Nelson County. It has the Federal Hill mansion at My Old Kentucky Home State Park (the house that inspired the state song "My Old Kentucky Home"). Bardstown is also ant important site for several distilleries. The zoning codes for the city allow no livestock or horse to be raised within the city limits (but you can easily live outside the city). It is approximately 40 miles from Louisville.

http://www.visitbardstown.com/

http://www.cityofbardstown.org/

2. Shepherdsville, KY - Shepherdsville is a city in Bullitt County, Kentucky, just south of Louisville. The population was 8,334 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Bullitt County. Still a very rural area, many of the communities residents commute to Louisville for work. One nice aspect (from your husbands POV is that shepherdsville, while rural, is located only 20 miles from Louisville (and that is all the way downtown).

http://www.shepherdsville.net/

Bulitt County school system is a pretty good school system and regularly plays Louisville schools in athletics (if your children are into that). If you are willing to drive, Louisville offers a number of private schools (both single sex and co-ed).

3. Mount Washingtown, KY. Mount Washington is a city in Bullitt County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 8,485 at the 2000 census. From what I have heard, it is a very nice community to live in (along with Bardstown). School situation is the same as shepardsville. It is approximately 25 miles outside of Louisville.

No official website, so here is one for Bullit County...should be helpful.

http://www.kyhometown.com/mountwashington/

http://www.bullittcounty.org/

4. Elizabethtown, KY - Elizabethtown is a city in Hardin County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 22,542 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Hardin County. The town is regionally referred to as "E-town." It is notable as one of two larger towns (the other being Bowling Green) along I-65 between Louisville and Nashville. It is about 44 miles from Louisville and from what I have been told, is also a very nice city.

Elizabethtown High School (part of the Elizabeth town Independent Schools District. Overall, the district ranks 15th in the state. The district is state renowned for excellent academics. E.I.S is also a member of the KY High Performing Districts' Alliance Project).

John Hardin High School is part of the county school system.

http://www.elizabethtownky.org/

5. Shelbyville, KY - Shelbyville is a city in Shelby County, Kentucky. It was founded on land donated by William Shannon in 1792 and named for Kentucky's first governor, Issac Shelby. The population was 10,085 at the 2000 census. It was approximately 32 miles from Louisville.

http://www.shelbyvillekentucky.com/

6. La Grange is a city in Oldham County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 5,676 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Oldham County. It is approximately 25 miles from Louisville and has been experiencing steady growth the lkast few years.

http://www.lagrangeky.net/

You might also want to consider Southern Indiana (Clarksville, Jeffersonville, or New Albany). Each of those is fairly developed, but if you move far enough out (like 10-20 miles), you’ll be in farmland.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 PM

Northern Kentucky region for which I’ll use the Cincinnati metro area (Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Gallatin, Grant, Pendleton, and Bracken Counties). Each of the three core counties (Boone Kenton, Campbell) has at least one major center of population: Florence in Boone County; Covington, Erlanger, and Independence in Kenton County; and Newport and Fort Thomas in Campbell County. Immediately on the other side of the Ohio River is Cincinnati, Ohio. However, the entire core region is densely populated, with these cities surrounded by many smaller towns which have little other than a city limit sign between them. The southernmost parts of the three core counties are still primarily rural in nature but are rapidly being consumed by urban sprawl. The four outer counties (Bracken, Pendleton, Grant, and Gallatin) are still primarily rural, although suburban development is starting to reach them. Combined with part of Indiana, and Southwestern Ohio, all seven counties are a part of The Greater Cincinnati Metropolitan Statistical Area, which has a population of over 2 million.
Today, many people residing in Northern Kentucky consider themselves "Cincinnatians" and the area has often been nicknamed "Cincinnati South". However, this term is not used often by those in this area. As a result, based on what you said, I will limit my discussion to Bracken and Pendleton (these two are still very rural and kentuckian in nature).

1. Falmouth, KY - Falmouth is a city in Pendleton County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 2,058 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Pendleton County. It is VERY rural, with Cincinnati located approximately 40 miles away. School system is Pendleton County High School.

2. Bracken County is even more rural. The three largest cities are Brooksville (589), Augusta (2,004) and Germantown (190). The closest cities of Note are either Cincinnati or my home town, Maysville (7,343).

3. Maysville, Kentucky - Maysville is a city in Mason County, Kentucky, along the Ohio River. As of the 2004 census, the city population was 7,323. It is the county seat of Mason County. Cincinnati is aproximately one hour away as is Lexington. Maysville has two school. St Patrick’s High (private) and Mason County High School. Very small, typical Kentucky town with a very rural surrounding.

http://www.cityofmaysville.com/articles/home.asp (broken link)

Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Sorry to cut this last one short but got to run pretty soon.

Lexington, KY area - Lexington, Kentucky, known as the "Horse Capital of the World," is located in the heart of the Bluegrass region. It is the second-largest city in Kentucky, after Louisville. The Lexington-Fayette Metropolitan Area (consisting of Fayette and four of the five surrounding counties) had a population of 429,889 as of 2005 estimates.

1. Paris, KY (9,183 people) - 15 minutes from Lexington.
2. Georgetown, KY
3. Nicholasville, KY
4. Danville, Ky
5. Mount Sterling, Ky
6. Harrodsburg, KY

I know that my posts were not entirely descriptive (sorry about that), but basically was just trying to highlight some of the communities I think would fit your interest. Also wanted to give you a starting point on where to look. If you have any further questions, or if you would like to know more about a particular city/area I mention (I know the most about Louisville/Northern Kentucky since those are the places I have lived)., feel free to ask. Good luck in your hunt!

Last edited by Marka; 07-11-2006 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 AM

"I know that my posts were not entirely descriptive (sorry about that)"

Your posts were great! Much more than I expected! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the different areas and in so much detail Is this because you are from Kentucky or because you are just nice anyway? lol. My husband and I always make jokes about when someone is snotty and rude, "They must be from CT" we say.... or if they are friendly and kind, "They must be from down South or over West..." lol.
I'm really looking forward to moving!
Thank you again~!
Jane

Old 07-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Is this because you are from Kentucky or because you are just nice anyway?
I'd like to think it is both. Anyway, if you want to know more about a certain area...feel free to post a question. We'd be happy to help!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:30 PM

Hi again. It's Jane.
Could you tell me what is going on with Columbia KY -- Adair County? It looked like it had a high unemployment rate. Do you know if it is a nice place to live? As in nice people? Low crime rate? I cant seem to find that out either.
Anyway, would you mind giving me your opinion on the town and county?
Thank you!
Jane

Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM

Sorry about this one but I don't have a lot of information to give. Never been to Columbia, KY (and honestly, I had never even heard of it). Best I can do is throw some quick facts at you:

Columbia is a city in Adair County, Kentucky, just above Russell Creek. The population was 4,014 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Adair County. Columbia is also the home of Lindsey Wilson College, a private four year college. The median income for a household in the city was $22,861, and the median income for a family was $31,344. Males had a median income of $23,906 versus $21,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,836. About 19.9% of families and 26.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.4% of those under age 18 and 17.9% of those age 65 or over.

Adair County High School is a U.S. high school (grades 9 to 12) in the small town of Columbia, Adair County, Kentucky. It is the county's only public high school.

In 2005 the school had some 746 students and 45 teachers, and was eligible for Title One support (provide technical assistance and support to families, school communities and district offices in implementing all mandates of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001).

http://www.columbiamagazine.com/

As for whether it is a nice town or not...I have no clue. High unemployment is not uncommon in southern/Eastern part of the state. These regions have tradionally struggled economically and are still dominated by coal mining and agricultural based economies. What the particular situation in Columbia is currently, however, I don't know. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

Last edited by Marka; 07-15-2006 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-20-2006, 05:35 AM

No -- you were very helpful!
Thank you again
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or