U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 AM

25 posts, read 167,319 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying some land in Sandy Hook, KY. Does anyone know anything about this area? What should I expect to pay per acre in this area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 PM

64 posts, read 301,979 times
Sandy Hook is sort of isolated and only reached by winding, two lane roads. Parts of the area are scenic, but there is virtually nothing there. For a town so small, there is a serious drug problem. Not much in the way of job opportunities either. Morehaed is fairly close. It is a nice enough smaller, college town, but rural. Don't know what you would have to pay for property, but I can almost guarantee the land wont be flat!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 AM

22 posts, read 120,409 times
I think that area is totally beautiful. We went to Cave Run last year, right near Sandy Hook, looking for a retirement home. I would have chosen that but for the fact that there's a waiting list for a boat slip that will outlive us. We are too old to put a boat in and out every time we want to fish. I believe that area is growing and we didn't have any trouble finding Walmart, fast food and grocery stores. Lots of 2 lane roads but that's not unusual for an area like that. And last but not least. It's NOT flat. Beautiful but not flat.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 AM

22 posts, read 120,409 times
I forgot to add that when we were there, the land was pretty reasonable. I can't quote any prices but check on www.realtor.com (broken link).

Old 04-26-2007, 09:46 AM

The land we're looking to purchase is going to be for recreational purposes/investment. We will be using it on weekends as a get-a-way kind of place. The pricing we found on Realtor.com seems to be all over the place! From 1000 - 4500 per acre. Just curious to hear from someone familiar with the area. Thanks for the input!!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM

323 posts, read 1,009,670 times
Well.. I'm moving to Morehead on June 1, but don't know what a local would about the area. I do however want to mention for your benefit that Sandy Hook has a Medium (but can house Maximum) security prison and a Minimum security prison camp outside the Medium fence... Not sure, but that certainly may have an affect on the surrounding land value/prices.

It is a very beautiful area though, in the rolling foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I personally can't wait to get settled in to Morehead!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:37 PM

thanks desiree, that's the kind of info I am looking for!!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,501 times
Default Sandy Hook Ky

We moved to Sandy Hook in Oct of 2006,,,we purchased a farm with all rolling hills. We will never leave this place because it is beautiful and the people here are friendly and very welcoming. My ancestors were born here and during a visit to a cemetery we found we loved this place. My daughter loves her school and says the other students are great fun. The deversity in nature is absolutly wonderful. If you are looking for a peaceful quiet place with wonderful nieghbors Sandy Hook is where you would love to live... Not much employment but it is worth the travel time to have a home like this.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,550,033 times
Bumping this back up in hopes for more responses.

We currently live in extreme rural TN and love it. This is the exact type of area we love. Friendly neighbors, the town revolves around but is not buried in church, great love of country and deepest respect for our military.

However, we really want much more land that we have - 7.25 acres. We bought an awesome home to raise our family, but in the next 4 years the youngest will be moving out. Once she does, the house goes on the market. We're hoping that sometime in this coming year we can purchase a bigger piece of land and build our home.

A friend of mine sent me a link to 90+ acres in Sandy Hook. I can't beat the price anywhere and I'd love to get more info on the town. However, what bothers me is the page for the town on here says there are 22 to 1 sex offenders!!! Now, I'm no pansy. Hubby and I are both retired law enforcement and with 90+ fenced acres and 2 rottweilers I'm sure we'd be fairly safe, but 22 to 1??? Then I read there is a prison in the town. Maybe they are counting the inmates as residents and that's where it comes from??

Also, does anyone know anything crime data wise? There's no crime data listed for the town.

And any other general Sandy Hook info would be good. I'd have to give up my job in Nashville and travel somewhere else to work. I currently drive 2 hours each way, so travel is no problem.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 15,501 times
The sex offenders are part of the prison system we have here. We have one grocery store and they are very good to this community. 90 acres would be mostly rolling or steep hills. There are a few places like Subway, Frostee Freeze, Giavoni's, and I hear we are getting Mcdonalds. We have a small Library, Court House,Outlet store, 2 Gas stations, County school, Church. Sandy hook is located about 24 miles from Morehead and 30 miles from Grayson, both have Krogers, Food Lion, Sandy Hook has a Dentist also. Being in the rural part I dont hear much about the crime rate but since the population is so small I dont see that as a problem...Maybe you should come and stay at one of our State parks near here Like Carter Caves or Greenbo State Park and come visit Sandy Hook and check it out......Your always welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or