Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Personal anecdotes aside, almost every study I've seen says that illegal immigrants are actually less likely to commit a crime than legal immigrants or natural citizens. Which makes perfect sense -- if you want to stay in this country, you don't do anything to draw attention to yourself.

I have little hope you will actually read what I am about to post since it does not already fit into your political philosophy, but if anyone is interested in facts and not scare stories, here they are:

Center for Immigration Studies

See also:

Study: Immigrants don't raise U.S. crime rate | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/171109 - broken link)

And see also:
Immigration: No Correlation With Crime
Immigration: No Correlation With Crime - TIME

Ironically, most studies show they are the victims of more crime than they are the perpetrators. Mostly since they are easy targets who will not go to the police.

And here irony for you: A study by the Public Policy Institute of California, found that, "cities with large immigrant populations showed larger reductions in property and violent crime than cities without large immigrant populations! Reductions in crime!

So the facts just do not back up your argument. Again, from my point of view, your strongest arguments are bigotry and fear. If those were my strongest arguments, I might do some serious re-thinking about my opinion.
His question was have I ever been robbed by an Illegal, the answer was yes. Where did you get argument out of that?
I've read articles like these before and it makes a lot of sense in small towns and Cities with small populations of Illegals as the risk of being outed is great. In areas like LA with entire areas of nothing but Illegal Immigrants that is just not so. Take a look at the 10 most wanted in LA or San Diego. It has continuous ratio of 40-60% Illegal Alien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Living & working here illegally and getting away with it tends to make these criminals more bold. The thrill of it all just tends to encourage criminal behavior. Why not rape a little girl or take a few things from the store, when the most they'll do is drop you off on the other side of the border? Just do it all over again. That's if you ever get identified...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
Again, personal anecdotes and scare stories are just fine to whip up emotion, but the facts just don't back up any of your assertions. If the facts don't matter in this debate, that's fine, but then let's not pretend you're using any kind of logic or reason here. You guys are making a base play to appeal to the worst side of people and nothing more.

Come up with some rational arguments backed by legitimate research and I'll be happy to respond. I've never said your side doesn't have any arguments -- I've just said that you lean way too heavily on bigotry and fear.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
"bigotry and fear" equates to expecting job applicants to have identification that is not forged?

I thought the people who brought up the race card when anyone disapproves of Obama's policies were whackos.

Seems the ones who revert to the " bigotry and fear" card when discussing ILLEGALS are just as whacky.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Again, personal anecdotes and scare stories are just fine to whip up emotion, but the facts just don't back up any of your assertions. If the facts don't matter in this debate, that's fine, but then let's not pretend you're using any kind of logic or reason here. You guys are making a base play to appeal to the worst side of people and nothing more.

Come up with some rational arguments backed by legitimate research and I'll be happy to respond. I've never said your side doesn't have any arguments -- I've just said that you lean way too heavily on bigotry and fear.
I agree, and the fact is that illegals are a plague that needs to be stopped

Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Still waiting for something other than name calling or scare tactics from you guys. Let me know when you post a logical argument based on accepted and supported evidence. Shouting "boo" or denigrating fellow human beings doesn't do much to persuade me.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Np, Off Topic--------why don't you tell us how ILLEGALS can work at places like poultry processing plants or meat packing plants without using faked/forged documents.

Maybe in Louisville Kentucky using forged/fake documents is legal and not a crime, but everyplace else in the US it is illegal and considered a crime.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Np, Off Topic--------why don't you tell us how ILLEGALS can work at places like poultry processing plants or meat packing plants without using faked/forged documents.

Maybe in Louisville Kentucky using forged/fake documents is legal and not a crime, but everyplace else in the US it is illegal and considered a crime.
LOL! Your continued use of "illegals" in bold caps reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in Tombstone:

Ike Clanton: Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog. Law don't go around here. Savvy?
Wyatt Earp: I'm retired.
Curly Bill: Good. That's real good.
Ike Clanton: Yeah, that's good, Mr. Law Dog, 'cause law don't go around here.
Wyatt Earp: (Barely paying him any attention to Ike) Yeah, I heard you the first time.

So I may start calling you Ike! Seriously, we got your point about the tenth time you made it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you are such a supporter of the strict and full application of the law. Without question, there have been three times in your life where you did not report income on your taxes -- from a yard sale or a poker game or whatever. That's mandatory jail time. And my bet is that there are three times this past year where you exceeded the speed limit by more than 10 miles an hour, which is a lost of license. So I am assuming that unless you are a hypocrite, you are posting from a federal penitentiary without a driver's license.

I'm more than willing to accept your sole argument that this conversation begins and ends with the fact that they have broken the law, so long as we apply the same standard to yourself.

IMO, this issue is far, far more complex than just a simple assertion that the law is the law. I know that it's comforting to boil this issue down to one simple thought, but that is hardly all there is to this.

Now, unlike me with your comments, you have continued to miss my point although I've said it three times. (Which I would think would be enough.) I'm not saying this isn't a problem. I'm not saying they aren't wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't do more to prevent illegal immigration. I'm saying that I'm surprised at the constant appeal to our worst nature by those agreeing with your position, by the constant exaggerations and even outright lies made by those agreeing with your position, and in some, the barely hidden or even outright open bigotry of those agreeing with your position. And not one word you or the others have written have changed that opinion. It is nothing more than a string of innuendos, scare tactics and racial fright. If your position is so obvious, why can't you use calm and logical reasons to make your case? As I said before, if everyone on my side of an argument was mainly using lies, scare tactics and bigotry to support that position, I might be tempted to review my opinion.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM

I guess the 14 year old girl who was raped by an ILLEGAL in broad daylight,on a bike trail, 15 miles from me is a bigot.

I doubt the 4 kids who were killed by an illegal who shot thru a stop sign at high speed and broadsided a school bus were bigots.

Could these same things be done by a US citizen?
Yes, ( but it wasn't!)

These, along with many ,many, more henious crimes, are being committed by people who are here illegally.

Yes, OffTopic---------it is so "complex" (sarc)

Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM

What is funny (or in a way, almost sad) is that you don't realize that with every single post, you are doing nothing more than proving my point.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss this in a rational, logical manner, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky