U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 16,682 times

Advertisements

What areas (if any) do you think pose the greatest chance of growth in EKY? The only two possibilities in my mind are Pikeville and Ashland. There are, however, problems for both cities. Although Pikeville has retained an impressive number of young professionals for its size, growth has been stunted by the lack of retail and restaurants. Ashland, on the other hand, has seemed to grow since Boyd County became wet, but it is still swallowed up by Huntington. Where do you see the region going in terms of city leadership? Personally, although I grew up near Prestonsburg, I am staying in Lexington because EKY has nothing more to offer me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 PM

256 posts, read 747,616 times
I believe Pikeville has the greatest chance. The city must capitalize on its isolation. I believe this starts with Pikeville College. Pikeville needs to make certain that the college is an active part of the city and that there is an ever growing important relationship here. As far as retail, I think if the university can attract jobs to the area, the demand for this retail will follow.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,956,439 times
Honestly, I'd say its not looking too good. The entire region relies heavily on coal production, and that industry is sinking fast. There are constant layoffs & it seems like its daily that another company either shuts down production or goes away completely. There's just hardly any value in coal anymore & its only gonna get worse.

The region hasnt really kept up with the times as well as they should have IMO. I think they'll pull through, but its not gonna be pretty for a while.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,749,948 times
Ashland & Huntington (and Ironton across the river in Ohio) have long been one metropolitan area, for decades. So one should consider that area as a whole.

I think the areas with the best growth prospects are ones that have interstate highway access, along I-75 and maybe I-64. Probably more the I-75 corridor. Places like London, Corbin, etc.

One of the efforts of the old ARC (and state government) was to fund highway improvements into Appalachia to reduce the isolation, making places like Hazard, Prestonsburg/Paintsville and Pikeville more accessible via better roads. The idea was that these larger Appalachian towns would become centers of economic growth. Not sure if it happened that way, but from what others posted, it seems Pikeville is doing ok?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,470,140 times
They built an Industrial Park between Ashland and Grayson and only 2 big companies moved in there, to me thats a failed venture.

I am not sure of the future of any of the Eastern Kentucky cities. My wife is from Olive Hill so we go back alot, but to be honest she is glad to be gone from there. SO many pills and pill heads there it is crazy. I never imagined small towns to be so drug ridden as it is now.

I know there are good people there also, but the drug scene is overtaking the good people.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:25 PM

54 posts, read 218,950 times
I left the Pikeville area when I turned 18 in 1996. I would love to return home if there were more job opportunities. I came close to moving back a few years ago when I worked for a company that was going to let me work remotely but was laid off due to downsizing. That would be awful, moving back there and working remotely and then getting laid off only to have to leave Pike again.
However it would have been awesome to spend my salary locally.

I think with the talk of regional air service possibly coming to Pikeville, it will open a few more doors for that region.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,749,948 times
Quote:
SO many pills and pill heads there it is crazy. I never imagined small towns to be so drug ridden as it is now.

I know there are good people there also, but the drug scene is overtaking the good people.
If you are talking about Oxycontin this is a big problem in the northern parts of Appalchia, too, esp those old dead steel towns like Alquippa, on the Ohio downstream from Pittsburgh. Places hit hard by shutdowns, now hit again by this drug epedemic.

Eastern Kentucky has a bit of notoriety for another drug: Marijuana. The Atlas on Kentucky has a page on "Nontraditional Farm Products",. and has a map of marijuana plants eradicated. A number of eastern Kentucky counties fall into the higher ranges, with more than 100,000 plants eradicated per year for Knox, Clay, Leslie, Owsley, and Floyd counties (early 1990s...things might be different today).

Quote:
I think with the talk of regional air service possibly coming to Pikeville, it will open a few more doors for that region.
Really? This is interesting. Back in the old days (1970s) there was scheduled air service to the London/Corbin area, from the now defunct Eastern Airlines.

I guess there is an airport near Pikeville that is equiped to handle passenger aircraft.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,956,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
If you are talking about Oxycontin this is a big problem in the northern parts of Appalchia, too, esp those old dead steel towns like Alquippa, on the Ohio downstream from Pittsburgh. Places hit hard by shutdowns, now hit again by this drug epedemic.

Eastern Kentucky has a bit of notoriety for another drug: Marijuana. The Atlas on Kentucky has a page on "Nontraditional Farm Products",. and has a map of marijuana plants eradicated. A number of eastern Kentucky counties fall into the higher ranges, with more than 100,000 plants eradicated per year for Knox, Clay, Leslie, Owsley, and Floyd counties (early 1990s...things might be different today).
Comparing Oxycontin to Marijuana is like comparing an atomic bomb to a firecracker.

If KY produces that much crop illegally, just think what it could produce if marijuana prohibition was done away with. If I were in Kentuckians shoes (esp Eastern KY), I'd be pushing hard for that. It could really bring a lot of much needed industry in & probably save a few towns too since coal is drying up & since it looks as if that industry's better days have come & gone.

But as it is now, KY doesnt even recognize its medical uses or have it decriminalized either. 15 states do already with more likely coming next year (14 others are currently pending, even some southern states), but its prob safe to say KY will be one of the last (even though it could benefit the most) simply because of the high concentration of religious folk that would have a problem with it. Same thing happens with alcohol with the whole wet/dry county thing. Even though alcohol is much MUCH worse overall.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM

54 posts, read 218,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post

Really? This is interesting. Back in the old days (1970s) there was scheduled air service to the London/Corbin area, from the now defunct Eastern Airlines.

I guess there is an airport near Pikeville that is equiped to handle passenger aircraft.
Yea, PBX can handle smaller commuter type aircraft. With the new access road to PBX just north of Pikeville its really easy to get up to the airport.
Heres the news article regarding possible air service to Pikeville/PBX

Pikeville airport could soon see commercial flights (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/50988652.html - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,057,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Honestly, I'd say its not looking too good. The entire region relies heavily on coal production, and that industry is sinking fast. There are constant layoffs & it seems like its daily that another company either shuts down production or goes away completely. There's just hardly any value in coal anymore & its only gonna get worse.

The region hasnt really kept up with the times as well as they should have IMO. I think they'll pull through, but its not gonna be pretty for a while.
I have to say that almost everything you said here was what I was going to say. It's almost like that area is marching backwards instead of forwards, unfortunately. Not that they have many other options, but they are clinging to a dying industry. I'll keep politics out of this other than to say -- in my opinion -- they are so resistant to any type of progressive thinking that any real growth is going to be difficult. If you are anything other than a straight, religious, protestant, white male, why would you stay or move to that area?

Other than some fantastic nature areas, I really don't see too much to recommend that area. I'm really worried it hasn't bottomed out yet, and may have to do that in order to turn it around.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky