Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 PM

26 posts, read 89,581 times

Advertisements

A previous post by nlschr0 really summed up what I have heard about the outlying areas of Lexington.

Nicholasville/Wilmore may be out due to the commute issue, but I'll go ahead and answer your questions from the original post:

"Living in these towns do you still consider yourself as being from Lexington? Or do you consider yourself a part of this small community first and only a commuter to Lexington?"
-I consider myself as being a resident of Wilmore, but definitely a part of Lexington. We travel into "town" (meaning Lexington) at least 3-5 times per week (sometimes more) and we are involved in activities in Lexington (i.e. YMCA).

"Also, if you were to choose which of these communities had the most character, the best community life, and the best "feel" for families--which would you pick?"
-Difficult to compare, as I have only lived in Wilmore since moving to Kentucky a few years ago. I cannot imagine a more family friendly place...the previous poster really summed up life here. People forget to lock their doors, I have felt comfortable walking the entire town late into the night with a friend, it definitely is a "safe" feeling town. That said, it is definitely a SMALL town. There is a small grocery store, but I go into Nicholasville and Lexington for nearly all my errands. Small town charm does abound for family life if you have kids. Once spring hits, you won't go far without seeing someone walking (usually with kids). There is definitely a religious tone to the town (cross on the water tower, coffee shop with biblical references as other poster mentioned, etc.). It is by no means perfect, or without it's share of small town gossip/controversy. If you want a snapshot of typical Wilmore during your travels, stop at Sim's Drugstore/Tastebuds Soda Fountain on Main St...and make sure to order a milkshake! It's like stepping back in time. Lots of small town events (i.e. annual Christmas in Wilmore festivities and 4th of July parade) that are like what you see in Mayberry-type movies. Residents often jokingly refer to Wilmore Elementary as the government's only "public" Christian school and students are exposed to a wide range of diversity/cultures (children of international students studying at Asbury College and Asbury Seminary).
For us, Wilmore is just too small. I feel restless if I am hear for more than a day or two without venturing into Lexington.

"Which one is on the way up and will have the best appreciating real estate? Which one is the most beautiful?"
-I'd love to hear what others have to say to your question! My husband and I are looking to buy a house, and are so conflicted about where to purchase a home. We love what we have heard about the elementary education here, but we have had a realtor tell us that they think Jessamine County is getting too much new development and will have a flooded housing market in the future. I know there is a lot of growth before Wilmore's city board that would greatly increase the size of the city, not to mention Nicholasville. One example for Wilmore is a proposed 500-acre development (near the intersection of Murphy Lane and U.S. 68) that would have 660 homes and an 18-hole Jack Nicklaus signature golf course.

We do not plan to look at Nicholasville...I have been underimpressed with the city, but do enjoy the outlying areas and more rural neighborhoods. We've also been looking in Woodford County (Versailles) and North Madison County (north of Richmond), but I am not sure about the schools there.

As mentioned, commuting from Nicholasville can be traffic-laden, especially up Nicholasville Road. Driving from Wilmore, I always go up Harrodsburg Road instead, and it is not too bad (but I would expect Harrodsburg Road to become more developed over time).

Good luck with your search! I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and what you find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmac View Post
A previous post by nlschr0 really summed up what I have heard about the outlying areas of Lexington.

Nicholasville/Wilmore may be out due to the commute issue, but I'll go ahead and answer your questions from the original post:

"Living in these towns do you still consider yourself as being from Lexington? Or do you consider yourself a part of this small community first and only a commuter to Lexington?"
-I consider myself as being a resident of Wilmore, but definitely a part of Lexington. We travel into "town" (meaning Lexington) at least 3-5 times per week (sometimes more) and we are involved in activities in Lexington (i.e. YMCA).

"Also, if you were to choose which of these communities had the most character, the best community life, and the best "feel" for families--which would you pick?"
-Difficult to compare, as I have only lived in Wilmore since moving to Kentucky a few years ago. I cannot imagine a more family friendly place...the previous poster really summed up life here. People forget to lock their doors, I have felt comfortable walking the entire town late into the night with a friend, it definitely is a "safe" feeling town. That said, it is definitely a SMALL town. There is a small grocery store, but I go into Nicholasville and Lexington for nearly all my errands. Small town charm does abound for family life if you have kids. Once spring hits, you won't go far without seeing someone walking (usually with kids). There is definitely a religious tone to the town (cross on the water tower, coffee shop with biblical references as other poster mentioned, etc.). It is by no means perfect, or without it's share of small town gossip/controversy. If you want a snapshot of typical Wilmore during your travels, stop at Sim's Drugstore/Tastebuds Soda Fountain on Main St...and make sure to order a milkshake! It's like stepping back in time. Lots of small town events (i.e. annual Christmas in Wilmore festivities and 4th of July parade) that are like what you see in Mayberry-type movies. Residents often jokingly refer to Wilmore Elementary as the government's only "public" Christian school and students are exposed to a wide range of diversity/cultures (children of international students studying at Asbury College and Asbury Seminary).
For us, Wilmore is just too small. I feel restless if I am hear for more than a day or two without venturing into Lexington.

"Which one is on the way up and will have the best appreciating real estate? Which one is the most beautiful?"
-I'd love to hear what others have to say to your question! My husband and I are looking to buy a house, and are so conflicted about where to purchase a home. We love what we have heard about the elementary education here, but we have had a realtor tell us that they think Jessamine County is getting too much new development and will have a flooded housing market in the future. I know there is a lot of growth before Wilmore's city board that would greatly increase the size of the city, not to mention Nicholasville. One example for Wilmore is a proposed 500-acre development (near the intersection of Murphy Lane and U.S. 68) that would have 660 homes and an 18-hole Jack Nicklaus signature golf course.

We do not plan to look at Nicholasville...I have been underimpressed with the city, but do enjoy the outlying areas and more rural neighborhoods. We've also been looking in Woodford County (Versailles) and North Madison County (north of Richmond), but I am not sure about the schools there.

As mentioned, commuting from Nicholasville can be traffic-laden, especially up Nicholasville Road. Driving from Wilmore, I always go up Harrodsburg Road instead, and it is not too bad (but I would expect Harrodsburg Road to become more developed over time).

Good luck with your search! I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and what you find out.
Thanks for the response! We are currently on our road trip to Lexington and will be there tomorrow!!!! We can hardly wait to check it out for ourselves. I am going to be posting with questions and comments I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky