Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
This happened in Clay County.

Not surprising, it is the bastion of backwards in an entirely backwards Commonwealth. Gee, wonder how THIS will make Kentucky look. Can't blame Diane Sawyer.

Yup, they certainly can't blame Diane Sawyer for this.

How dare she do a story on an area of Kentucky?
Who does she think she is ?
She was trying to act like one of them there journalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The Herald Leader is reporting that the man was found naked and gagged as well

Census worker's body naked, bound - Latest News - Kentucky.com (http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/951513.html?storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
It doesn't appear that they want to be bothered with it.

"There was no visual evidence of any crime — or even any police investigation — at the Hoskins family cemetery, which includes dozens of tombstones, many bearing the Hoskins name. It sits on a steep hill less than 200 yards from the narrow road that cuts through the forest."

ClayCoNews >> News >> Update - Ky. Census worker (http://clayconews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3871 - broken link)

Some upset over coverage of census worker's death-WYMT's Jeff Allen Reports

ClayCoNews >> News >> WYMT Video (http://clayconews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3873 - broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...USTqfy3jw.cspx

I found this on one of our local news sites.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
A story about locals upset about the national coverage from WYMT in Hazard KY

Some upset over coverage of death (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/61542472.html - broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A story about locals upset about the national coverage from WYMT in Hazard KY
The sentence they are having trouble with is:

Quote:
"A census worker found hanged from a tree with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest met his end in a corner of Appalachia with an abundance of meth labs and marijuana fields - and a reputation for mistrusting government that dates back to the days of moonshiners and 'revenuers.'"
In a way, I can see how that portrays a negative image that they may have left behind. On the other hand, I can't see a single word in that sentence that is inaccurate.

And it doesn't help that their Sheriff is quoted as saying, "Is there some people that feel that the government is going in the wrong direction?" If you talk like a hick, then you should expect someone to think you're a hick. (I add that that doesn't necessarily make you a hick.)

So my first reaction is that when someone hangs a federal worker, scrawls "fed" across his chest and duct-tapes his federal ID badge to his neck, you might want to prepare yourself for some negative coverage. On the other, I can understand why this upsets them by perpetuating the hillbilly stereotype.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times

YouTube - Bachmann Warns Of Link Between Census, Japanese Internment

She recently launched a highly publicized campaign against ACORN & the Census earlier this past summer & used a lot of fear-mongering statements like the one's she makes here, which of course caused a right-wing movement (from the far FAR right if you get my drift. Birthers, Tea Party people, those types) seeing that thats all the rage these days. And of course, Fox News covered the hell outta this like you know they would.

Quote:
Conservative radio host Neal Boortz told a caller, “Most of the rest of the [Census] information is designed to help the government steal from you in order to pass off your property to the moochers. They’re looters.” Boortz urged his listeners to resist the Census workers. “If somebody comes to my — if a burglar came to your house, are you going to show him where the silverware is?” he asked. “Maybe you will if he pulls out a gun.”
I'm not saying all this is related to what happened to this poor guy. I hope to hell its not. But it wouldn't shock me. The problem is, a lot of people take whatever they hear on news channels, talk radio, etc as fact & never go investigate on their own online or what have you.

You guys know as well as I do that a lot of the types of folks who live in this area are ignorant as hell. Not all of them, but a lot are. They sit up in their hollers, mainly disconnected with a lot of the outside world (and forget about computers or online access). All they know is basically what they hear around them & what they catch on radio or TV (if they have cable). So if I was doing nothing but tuning in to this garbage on a day to day basis, then yeah, I too would probably think the Gov is coming to get me, while stroking a gun.

They dont understand that a lot of these 24hr "news" (and I use that term lightly) channels are just in it for the ratings, their own agendas, etc (and Im talking about all of them, not just Fox) & will blatenly just make sh*t up, take unfair polls, etc to further that agenda & "confirm" their stories. They're a complete joke.

They really need to practice more integrity before they report because a lot of it is just plan irresponsible.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
any census takers found hanging --any place-- else in the US ?
I guess drive by shootings that kill innocent people, including children are less criminal or make more sense. This "census taker" was thought to be working undercover by people in the area ovbiously involved in illegal activity. Go into an inner city area with gang activity and be suspected of working undercover and see what happens to you. It will be just as ugly.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

YouTube - Bachmann Warns Of Link Between Census, Japanese Internment

She recently launched a highly publicized campaign against ACORN & the Census earlier this past summer & used a lot of fear-mongering statements like the one's she makes here, which of course caused a right-wing movement (from the far FAR right if you get my drift. Birthers, Tea Party people, those types) seeing that thats all the rage these days. And of course, Fox News covered the hell outta this like you know they would.

I'm not saying all this is related to what happened to this poor guy. I hope to hell its not. But it wouldn't shock me. The problem is, a lot of people take whatever they hear on news channels, talk radio, etc as fact & never go investigate on their own online or what have you.

You guys know as well as I do that a lot of the types of folks who live in this area are ignorant as hell. Not all of them, but a lot are. They sit up in their hollers, mainly disconnected with a lot of the outside world (and forget about computers or online access). All they know is basically what they hear around them & what they catch on radio or TV (if they have cable). So if I was doing nothing but tuning in to this garbage on a day to day basis, then yeah, I too would probably think the Gov is coming to get me, while stroking a gun.

They dont understand that a lot of these 24hr "news" (and I use that term lightly) channels are just in it for the ratings, their own agendas, etc (and Im talking about all of them, not just Fox) & will blatenly just make sh*t up, take unfair polls, etc to further that agenda & "confirm" their stories. They're a complete joke.

They really need to practice more integrity before they report because a lot of it is just plan irresponsible.

I doubt this killing had anything to do with the census. There are rumors that local drug dealers/meth manufacturers and such supsected this man was working undercover for the DEA or FBI. That is probably why he was killed.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:32 AM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
I think the man saw someones meth lab when he was going door to door.

I read in some news article that he was found not far from his truck and the tailgate was down. Does that make anyone besides myself think that he was killed some other place and transported to the place where they found him?

That sheriff is rediculous saying that they didn't know if it was murder or not. Where is his brain? Of course that poor man was murdered. If this is the kind of leaders they have in those parts, they sorely need to vote them out of office and get new people in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky