Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Area where census worker died has troubled history - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_us/us_census_worker_hanged - broken link)

The title says it all:
Area where census worker died has troubled history

BIG CREEK, Ky. – A census worker found hanged from a tree with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest met his end in a corner of Appalachia with an abundance of meth labs and marijuana fields — and a reputation for mistrusting government that dates back to the days of moonshiners and "revenuers."
But the investigation has yet to determine whether the death of the 51-year-old part-time schoolteacher represents real anti-government sentiment.

Last edited by censusdata; 09-24-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I really hope for the sake of Kentucky that this is a suicide, but it's not looking too much like that.

I have lived here 29 years and have never been to that part of KY and probably never will.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
The area he was in is extremely rough. Sorry, but there's no other way to put it, but most of Clay county is awash with meth and painkillers. It's absolutely amazing to see the contrast between Laurel and Clay counties. Every time I've gone to Manchester, thankfully which has been a handful of times, it's as though I'm traveling back several decades.
FWIW, I don't buy the anti-government theory. Most of these folks are too strung out to hate the government. I think that the guy got way too close to a meth lab. Perhaps he seen something and the word got out that he was working with the DEA. Either way, I would love for the KSP or FBI to find the trash responsible for this.
There is a wild rumor circulating that he was working undercover. Most people don't buy it. Basically it is what it is, the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I really hope for the sake of Kentucky that this is a suicide, but it's not looking too much like that.

I have lived here 29 years and have never been to that part of KY and probably never will.
Nope, it was ruled probable homicide. Don't worry, you're not missing much by not visiting Clay County.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
and to think Kentuckians were soooo upset with Diane Sawyer's documentary on Appalachia cuz it portrayed that area in a bad way.

This publicity is far worse in perpetuating a stereotype of that region of Kentucky.

However, this incident, ( isolated as it may be ) can not be blamed on Diane Sawyer.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
This incident is a horrible crime, but it has nothing to do with why people were angry with Diane Sawyer's show on Eastern Kentucky. This sort of crime that is more than likely drug related can happen any place in the country.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
There are parts of Northern California that are pretty backwoods and have the same illegal economy going on. I too think this was more drug-related than a political statement.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This incident is a horrible crime, but it has nothing to do with why people were angry with Diane Sawyer's show on Eastern Kentucky. This sort of crime that is more than likely drug related can happen any place in the country.
any census takers found hanging --any place-- else in the US ?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM

I hope the guy who did it doesn't also play a banjo

Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
There are parts of Northern California that are pretty backwoods and have the same illegal economy going on. I too think this was more drug-related than a political statement.
I see you constantly making excuses for this area & then trying to compare it to places like N California & other large urban areas, citing that "everywhere" has problems like this. You simply cannot compare the two. Its completely apples & oranges.

Eastern KY does NOT have a large population at all, is mostly rural with "quiet" surroundings that match the people as well. Its mostly poor with many undereducated simple folks that just try to get by & live day by day, take care of their families, etc. Thats not an insult, its just what it is. I spent the first 18 years of my life right there, so I think I know it pretty well.

So, yeah. This is a big deal. I've personally never heard of anyone doing something like this before. And for it to come out of a place like I just described. Yeah, its rather disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky