Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 61,258 times

Advertisements

My husband is Active Duty Army and we might be moving to Ft. Knox in the next two years. What are the towns like around Ft. Knox. We are renting in Alexandria, VA but own a home in GA. We would like to build our own home on a couple of acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

63 posts, read 313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Georgia View Post
My husband is Active Duty Army and we might be moving to Ft. Knox in the next two years. What are the towns like around Ft. Knox. We are renting in Alexandria, VA but own a home in GA. We would like to build our own home on a couple of acres.
Welcome to Hardin County if you come. There are two major cities near Ft. Knox. Radcliff is immediately adjacent to the base, and is very much a military base type of community. It is a young town (established in the 50's) and has a large base of retired military people.

Elizabethtown is about 8-10 miles to the south. It is the county seat and a very old town, one of the oldest in Kentucky. It is much more of a traditional kentucky town.

Both offer plenty of affordable housing, and very good school systems. Land is readily available throughout the county, and you should have no trouble finding the acreage you want to build on. Hardin County is very supportive of Ft. Knox and the military, and you will find yourself in friendly confines here.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Thank you for your information. My husband and I are coming out in Sept to take a look see of the area and Ft. Knox.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Georgia View Post
Thank you for your information. My husband and I are coming out in Sept to take a look see of the area and Ft. Knox.
If you want to live closer to a large city, you may want to consider the southern exurbs of Louisville. You have the advantage of living in a military town that is so close to a huge metropolis where you live in VA right now. In reality, Alexandria by itself is probably similar to Louisville. I am guessing downtown Alexandria has almost as much office space as downtown Louisville (although not as many tall skyscrapers). Although, Ft Knox and Elizabethtown are certainly a part of the Greater Louisville area and part of the Louisville Consolidated Statistical Area (CSA) according to the US Census Bereau. This CSA is now home to nearly 1.5 million people, but there is tons of open acreage all over, especially in parts of North Hardin and Southern Bullitt, where land is dirt cheap. That said, Etown is a wonderful place. You may recall the movie about it a couple years back! Etown also has a enough shopping and what not to get you by, although if you like arts, fine dining, museums, and sports, you may find yourself driving to Louisville alot.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Moving to KY

Thanks again for the info. We've been traveling a lot and I haven't been online. We are getting excited about the move although it probably won't be until 2008, 09 or 10. This is all dependent on the BRAC and how soon things are building built on Ft. Knox. We have an agent that is looking for land with our set of criteria. I find all the postings interesting and it gives me some idea of what areas are like but we won't really know until we touch ground.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM

117 posts, read 518,166 times
Sorry to break the news, but there are really no quaint small towns arounf Ft Knox. The area around Ft Knox is nasty, there is nothing but strip clubs, bars, and adult books around that stretch of 31W. I would try Elizabethtown or even SW Louisville

Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM

63 posts, read 313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
Sorry to break the news, but there are really no quaint small towns arounf Ft Knox. The area around Ft Knox is nasty, there is nothing but strip clubs, bars, and adult books around that stretch of 31W. I would try Elizabethtown or even SW Louisville
Actually, there are no bars or strip clubs in Hardin County. Alcohol is served only in restaurants (no bars, no package stores). Radcliff does have a lot of mobile home parks and some pawn shops, but that's about it. The bars and strip clubs are in Jefferson County (north of Radcliff). Vine Grove is an older community adjacent to Radcliff that is very nice. I would agree that Elizabethtown is even nicer, and is the "crown jewel" of Hardin County. Having said that, rest assured that there are plenty of nice places to live, play and worship in Radcliff as well.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM

117 posts, read 518,166 times
I have never been on a stretch of road that has as much smut and trash as 31W from south of I-265 to north of E-town. Granted, I have only driven through there once (which was once too many)

I am almost 100% positive I saw a bunch of adult book stores right in Radcliff. Either way it is not a nice small town. Danville, Paris, Anchorage, & Shelbyville are nice, quaint small towns.

By the way, that stretch of Dixie Highway is called "Dixie Die-way" locally. Better watch out for the drunks

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
Quote:
I have never been on a stretch of road that has as much smut and trash as 31W from south of I-265 to north of E-town. Granted, I have only driven through there once (which was once too many)

I am almost 100% positive I saw a bunch of adult book stores right in Radcliff. Either way it is not a nice small town. Danville, Paris, Anchorage, & Shelbyville are nice, quaint small towns.

By the way, that stretch of Dixie Highway is called "Dixie Die-way" locally. Better watch out for the drunks

Wow, Aspie, watch your back! I almost got banned from the KY forum for saying the exact same thing when I first joined. I guess the thought police have moved on . . .

Old 07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
O&A

6 posts, read 43,502 times
Default The Orchard

When you are here in September come take a look at the Orchard subdivision in Elizabethtown. It is ten minutes from Fort Knox, and very close to town. If you have any questions please call me at 502-418-9429.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky