Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM

21 posts, read 65,598 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Alaska sometime in the next month or so. Can anyone tell me about Kentucky? Where to live, taxes anything. In AK, you don't pay taxes but you DO have long long winters and I am soooo tired of them and the isolation. I am looking at several states which includes Kentucky. Is the cost of living low, ie utilities, houses? Lots of fun things to do with a teenage boy?

Any thoughts also on Hopskinsville?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by n4sir7; 05-06-2007 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Smile Western KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4sir7 View Post
I am moving from Alaska sometime in the next month or so. Can anyone tell me about Kentucky? Where to live, taxes anything. In AK, you don't pay taxes but you DO have long long winters and I am soooo tired of them and the isolation. I am looking at several states which includes Kentucky. Is the cost of living low, ie utilities, houses? Lots of fun things to do with a teenage boy?

Any thoughts also on Hopskinsville?

Thanks for any help.
I lived in Hoptown for 14 years, I left as the schools are sad. And the crime and drugs are high for KY but still low compared to many places in the US.
Try looking at the Paducah, Murray, Benton area and surrounding counties. Cost of living is low, plenty of outdoors stuff to do and close to many other major towns like Nashville, St Louis, Memphis and others.
Paducah has a little culture and artsy things going on all the time. I prefer western KY to the rest of the state the seasons are longer and it's warmer longer and I've lived all over the state. Every area in the state is unique, I've just found the western end more to my liking. Hope this help!

Google Western KY, Paducah, LBL, Kentucky, Barkley or Reelfoot Lake

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much! Is it really humid there like I have experienced like in florida?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Thanks so much! Is it really humid there like I have experienced like in florida?
Yes, it can be hot and humid here there are a lot of folks here that moved in from Florida so far none are running away. Late June through Early Oct can be a bit steamy but it beats the far out of being cold.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
The part of Ky called "Land Between the Lakes" is a great retirement area. It's in the southwest portion of Kentucky.

If you are still working, you may have to locate nearer the "big" cities of Louisiville or Lexington. My personal recommendation is Oldham County, which is just north of Louisville. Still a small town feel but near a metro area. Great, and I mean great, schools.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Thanks, yes I am still working. I am 38 yrs old single mom with a 13 yr old boy. How is the job market?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
I also recommend Western KY even though I live in central Ky because times I visited their I really liked it.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Thanks, yes I am still working. I am 38 yrs old single mom with a 13 yr old boy. How is the job market?
The job market is better in the larger cities, and no so great in many rural areas like the mountains. These areas are improving though. Are you looking for a smaller town, or bigger city? Urban or suburban? Rural or exurban?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
They do have state taxes here and if you have a newer car shell out more for title transfer and fees etc.housing is normal like most places,duplexes.Apts. jobs you may want to search the want ads,or go thru the temps places.Its nice living here not as cold as up north like MN. where I moved from.this is a rural area and jobs are not as abundant as they are in the big cities like Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky