Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 AM

243 posts, read 478,022 times

Advertisements

Yeah Trigg is the only school I would think about sending my kid to. I wonder if they still have a killer cross country team. I don't think that area satisfies any of your other requirement though, except some of the outdoors. Good luck. It really sounds like you are looking for 1 of 100 small towns that exist in Oregon, but not Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 12,272 times
thanks everybody, maybe I will look into Trigg County. Oneluckymug, I really think part of the problem is that I DIDN'T grow up there. My father left the coal mines for the air force before I even turned 2 and eventually we settled in Florida, so I wound up growing up far away from every relative that I have. I did actually move up there for about a year in my mid-20s in order to spend some time with my grandparents before they passed away, so I have SOME idea of what it's like, although still not the same as if I'd actually grown up there. But while I was there I helped my aunt's children with their homework and I was pretty astonished by some of the things they brought home from school. One of them had an English paper which had been corrected by a teacher ... but the teacher made 3 grammatical mistakes of her own, and corrected a sentence that was actually grammatically correct! So I DO know how bad the public schools are there. And yet no one seems to mind, and from a certain perspective it probably really DOESN'T matter, not really, when you think about the things that really matter in life ... and I don't want to live in a community that my children aren't really a full part of, you know? And how do I explain to relatives that their schools aren't good enough for my children? It's very disheartening. I myself am probably horribly overeducated, but would be hard for me to see my children receive an education that does not match my own, I don't think I can do it. But my children need a family and a community. I am afraid that if I raise them too far away from my family that they will never be close. I myself am lucky in that my mother and her sister have stayed close and so I have always been close to that side of my family there, but as new generations come up, I am afraid that will be lost. I knew a real loneliness growing up an only child with no family around most of the time. I just don't want that to happen to my children. I honestly do not know what to do. But I will look into Trigg County. thanks very much everyone for listening and making suggestions. And you can't offend me, truly; I appreciate your honesty.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Christmas View Post
Virginia!
I was going to say Vermont. I don't think Virgnia (even NoVA) has all the items on that list.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM

243 posts, read 478,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttocomehome View Post
thanks everybody, maybe I will look into Trigg County. Oneluckymug, I really think part of the problem is that I DIDN'T grow up there. My father left the coal mines for the air force before I even turned 2 and eventually we settled in Florida, so I wound up growing up far away from every relative that I have. I did actually move up there for about a year in my mid-20s in order to spend some time with my grandparents before they passed away, so I have SOME idea of what it's like, although still not the same as if I'd actually grown up there. But while I was there I helped my aunt's children with their homework and I was pretty astonished by some of the things they brought home from school. One of them had an English paper which had been corrected by a teacher ... but the teacher made 3 grammatical mistakes of her own, and corrected a sentence that was actually grammatically correct! So I DO know how bad the public schools are there. And yet no one seems to mind, and from a certain perspective it probably really DOESN'T matter, not really, when you think about the things that really matter in life ... and I don't want to live in a community that my children aren't really a full part of, you know? And how do I explain to relatives that their schools aren't good enough for my children? It's very disheartening. I myself am probably horribly overeducated, but would be hard for me to see my children receive an education that does not match my own, I don't think I can do it. But my children need a family and a community. I am afraid that if I raise them too far away from my family that they will never be close. I myself am lucky in that my mother and her sister have stayed close and so I have always been close to that side of my family there, but as new generations come up, I am afraid that will be lost. I knew a real loneliness growing up an only child with no family around most of the time. I just don't want that to happen to my children. I honestly do not know what to do. But I will look into Trigg County. thanks very much everyone for listening and making suggestions. And you can't offend me, truly; I appreciate your honesty.
Must have misunderstood your post. Guess I figured with so much family there you grew up there. It's not hard to explain why you might want to live elsewhere. With my wife's family, they know of many people who dropped out of school or who got really involved in drugs. My very persistent mother in law understands we want the best for our kids, and we feel like schools where I grew up in Illinois will give them more opportunities. I took my opportunities to be Dr. The opportunities given to my wife in that area limited her choices. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COAL MINING .....but my in-laws are all coal miners because they didn't have the opportunity to NOT be a coal miner. If my kids grow up and want to be a coal miner because it makes them happy....I will be thrilled. We just worried that by choosing a poor area for schools we were limited our children's choices later in life. I think your family would understand that.

I really think you should look into Bowling Green or a surrounding town. It doesn't have all the things you are looking for. It's a college-ish town so it's more liberal. It allows you to see family almost any weekend you choose. It has great educational opportunities. It is one of the up and coming cities in the US. It is a short drive to the mountains for a weekend trip.....a good balance that doesn't have everything you want, but does the more important things.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 12,272 times
thanks for the suggestion, I will look into Bowling Green, at least I know one person there! It is very scary to me to think about moving somewhere where I don't know ANYONE, but having children kind of changes your perspective. In so many ways, we really have it made here in ATL, but yet the smog, the crime, the congestion, etc. ... it just doesn't seem like the best environment for raising children. If only I'd known how to think like a parent BEFORE I had children, LOL! Plus I'm turning 40 next month, so maybe it's just midlife crisis making me feel disconnected. If anyone has any other ideas let me know! I really will give up the coffeeshop. Maybe I could open my own coffeeshop?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 23,392 times
Cadiz is the place to be.....

Old 11-22-2009, 12:20 PM

48 posts, read 117,155 times
You might want to check out Owensboro. Schools are good. Medium to small sized city. Near Madisonville. Also, it does have some fine arts, and has 2 private universities so it does have some culture. As far as your political and religious views, it's honestly going to be fairly tough to find somewhere that matches those in rural areas in KY. But, there are quite a bit of liberals in O'boro. Honestly, about the drugs, you are going to have that problem anywhere you go in KY if you look hard enough, and hang out with that type of people, then you are going to encounter it. If you choose the people you are running around with better, then you won't. It's not like it's all over, but you will occasionally hear about meth busts on the news. Although, they are more prevasive on the Indiana side of the river than ours. Just my opinion, but I think that O'boro would fit you pretty well.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
Danville or Berea

Old 11-23-2009, 02:08 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttocomehome View Post
thanks for the suggestion, I will look into Bowling Green, at least I know one person there! It is very scary to me to think about moving somewhere where I don't know ANYONE, but having children kind of changes your perspective. In so many ways, we really have it made here in ATL, but yet the smog, the crime, the congestion, etc. ... it just doesn't seem like the best environment for raising children. If only I'd known how to think like a parent BEFORE I had children, LOL! Plus I'm turning 40 next month, so maybe it's just midlife crisis making me feel disconnected. If anyone has any other ideas let me know! I really will give up the coffeeshop. Maybe I could open my own coffeeshop?

Bowling Green sounds like a good compromise for most of what you are looking for. We do have some very good schools, you just have to choose carefully about the district you choose to live in and double check because we are in the process of redistricting the county school system. Because of the university, you will find the cultural influences and such you need. Since you have a cousin here already, come and visit and check things out. I am sure they can give you some insight. Bowling Green is still a fairly rural, predominantly Christian community in southern Kentucky but we have such a melding of people here now due to the university, industry and the fact that we are an international refuge city it seems much more progressive than some of the other areas around us.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM

31 posts, read 123,215 times
I'll put in another suggestion for Bowling Green.
There is a growing unitarian church there, as well the Coffee Shop feel you are looking for. (I like Spencers coffee on the square personally, but Greener Grounds on broadway is also popular.)
BG is predominately a conservative area, but compared to the other options, it seems to be the best match for what you are looking for. BG is pretty progressive when compared to surrounding cities. I wouldn't call BG a liberal place, but it's about as close you are going to get for a town that size in Kentucky.
They are also building a brand new Performing Arts Center right smack in the middle of downtown, which will be great for the arts scene in BG.
Also, the schools are great, its growing pretty rapidly, and it's close to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky