Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Louisville is not really considered Northern Kentucky quite like Newport and such across the river from Cincinatti. Where in Louisville did you go by the way?
All over actually. I went to an expo down at the fairgrounds next to the airport but stayed with a buddy at a siminary on the north side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
All over actually. I went to an expo down at the fairgrounds next to the airport but stayed with a buddy at a siminary on the north side of town.
The Southern Baptist Seminary? Or the Presbiterian?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Prespiterian

Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Oh, ok. I have many friends at the Southern seminary so I was curious.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM

137 posts, read 448,238 times
Default Northern Kentucky is most certainly the south....

Having actually lived in Northern Kentucky for quite sometime now I would have to say that, "yes" Northern Kentucky is most certainly part of the south. Not many know that people living in NK consider their main city either Newport, Covington or Florence which are obviously all cities located on the other side of the Ohio River, in the South. Oh come to think of it, is not Louisville located on the other side of the Ohio River with part of it's city located in Indiana (the midwest)? Oh, yes it is. Northern Kentucky is located, oh yes, in Kentucky! We go to church in Kentucky, we vote in the Kentucky primaries, we work and live in Kentucky. Some of us too speak with a southern drawl. Yes, there is a Midwestern influence as their is in Louisville. I did most of my growing up as a kid in Indiana and can say that I know firsthand that Louisville has a Midwest influence as well. If we are going to consider Louisville the south, why not Florence, Newport, Covington and the surrounding cities located in NK? Saying NK is not part of the south is like saying NK is not part of the state of Kentucky! That is certainly not the case Y'ALL!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 AM

22 posts, read 83,800 times
The south has different "souths". There is Gulf Coast South, Mississippi Delta South, Appalachian South, Atlantic Coast South, Ozark South, Bluegrass South, Heart of Dixie South, Virginia Tidewater South, Florida South (imo, the least southern), etc...
Im settin myself up as target here, I know, but just sayin "this is the south", when "south" itself is such a broad term, invites all manner of vagaries.
Im just sayin.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthianaslim View Post
The south has different "souths". There is Gulf Coast South, Mississippi Delta South, Appalachian South, Atlantic Coast South, Ozark South, Bluegrass South, Heart of Dixie South, Virginia Tidewater South, Florida South (imo, the least southern), etc...
Im settin myself up as target here, I know, but just sayin "this is the south", when "south" itself is such a broad term, invites all manner of vagaries.
Im just sayin.
That is so true! I have said it before, different parts of the same CITY are different, how can you expect a whole region to be the same?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM

I found this on and I thought it was interesting (not to beat a dead horse....)

Midwestern or Heartland influence is felt in Pittsburgh (an old pioneer town), West Virginia (which seceded from Virginia), Louisville (an industrial city on the Ohio River) and, with some irony, in former states where slavery was legal or tolerated before the Civil War, including Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and parts of Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky, though most of these cities and states are not truly Midwestern. Parts of Colorado and Utah were settled by Midwestern migrants, and retain some "Heartland feeling", and because of trade ties, the province of Ontario has some cultural affinity to the Midwest. Generally, though, the region is bounded by the Ohio River, through the Great Plains to the Rockies and Canada.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
I would like to correct a little history here. West Virginia did not "secede" from Virginia. The state was created in an agreement between Washington DC and Unionists in Wheeling. The people had very little to do with it. Most of what constitutes the state of West Virginia actually voted to secede from the Union.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I would like to correct a little history here. West Virginia did not "secede" from Virginia. The state was created in an agreement between Washington DC and Unionists in Wheeling. The people had very little to do with it. Most of what constitutes the state of West Virginia actually voted to secede from the Union.
Ok, thank you! I know how aggrivating it is to have to constantly defend your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky