U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,426,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe91 View Post
When I think of Louisville, I think of it located in both Indiana and Kentucky. And Indiana is no doubt a yankee state. Northern transplants in Louisville?!? Is that a joke? All they would have to do is look and they're there.

When someone says there from Louisville, I ask which state.
Louisville always has been, always will be in Kentucky and Kentucky only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 377 times
I forgot about this site..Must have been drunk when I discovered it or something..

Anyway what is southern to you people??? I don't get it..

NKY has its share of nice quiet country spots.. So does pretty much every other state..

NKY has its hillbillies but so does pretty much every other state..

Hospitality doesn't exist for the most part in NKY pretty much like every other place..

It's classified as a southern state so thats what it is.. What happened over a hundred years ago doesn't matter..People come here from other southern states as well as the midwest.. My grandparents moved to newport from harlan and bell county because coal mining is for suckers..I think it was a wise move.. I'm gonna stay in the south.. If I want to go to the midwest I'll cross the bridge to cincy.. People that don't even know me speculate that I fornicate with farm animals..I was about to turn this in to a whole nother thing..

SOuthern ohio has its kentucky influence more than we have of theirs..After all our slaves crossed that river for freedom and immediately set up shop selling kentucky crack in the nati..Much like what John Thompson did with his machine guns in the midwest.I'm tired and joking but this argument has no real answers because theres no real guidelines as to what you guys consider southern as..Nothing clear at least..I guess it gets that way after reading 4 billion posts in one thread..I just go by the classification and don't care much less otherwise.. Every place will be urbanized sooner or later... 60 years ago NKY was mostly country..Things change..

Old 09-06-2008, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 29,722 times
I think Louisville is southern

Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 AM

102 posts, read 221,943 times
Louisville is neither south, northern, or midwestern in my opinion.

Louisville is....Louisville. I just don't think one word can describe us.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 21,683 times
I posted a response in a similar forum yesterday...Yeah, rural Kentucky (at least western) does seem to feel more "southern". And for some reason, despite the short distance, there is a huge difference between Lexington and Louisville. Lexington has more of that southern, college town charm that I do not find in the 'ville. I've spent the last couple of years in Hoptown because of my duty station...but I'll be gone in April....Mississippi here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,426,817 times
I still stand by that Louisville is Southern outside of the Watterson.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 21,683 times
I think some of you Kentuckians are reaching now...and don't draw West Virginia into this...yes, a good number of counties in West VA were secessionist (and several east Tennessee counties were solidly pro-union)but we're all missing the point here...Kentucky just isn't completely "southern"

Take heart though Kentuckians...you're still more "southern" than Florida...ha ha ha ha ha

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,610,529 times
Well, so what. Who draws the line at what percentage something is or isn't? I believe a combination of things are the determinate. Kentucky lies well within the Southern Dialect maps of several academic studies, including the Univ. of Penn's Telsur Project. The predominant religious group in KY is Baptist, in the last Census the majority of Kentuckians identified themselves as of "American"; ancestry, a reply that was predominantly found below the Mason-Dixon line and the Ohio River, the traditional line between North & South. I don't think it is "reaching" at all.

I always think visuals are helpful in discussions like this. Here is just one of the maps, Religion in the US.
It seems you were right about Florida, Ragincajun73. And I didn't even bring West Virginia into it. Talk to the map.

http://http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Religions_of_the_US.PNG (broken link)

Last edited by Bobilee; 09-11-2008 at 12:53 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM

22 posts, read 50,590 times
My gawd! You people are debating personal experiences here!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,980 times
Default Southern Hospitality.

I Dont know about the rest of ky but I know for my famly my freinds in louisville,ky vally station we fly rebel flags and were our boots and belt buckles I do beleive kentucky is southern and I have alot of pride in were I come from THE SOUTH and Ive been to cinci and indiana and and tenn analabama and I hated how I felt in indi and cinci everybody was cold and had no pride but when I got back home I felt it the spirit of the south. Oh not to be rude but I dont like the way people talk up there they soun upnoxious. Reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky