Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM

69 posts, read 207,886 times

Advertisements

What demographic would you consider Kentucky apart of? Midwest or South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 PM

422 posts, read 758,253 times
Kentucky is distinctly South, IMO. The newspapers in Cincinatti routinely report on how things are quite different just over the river.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Kentucky is distinctly South, IMO. The newspapers in Cincinatti routinely report on how things are quite different just over the river.
I sort of disagree. Cincinnat's NKY suburbs are distinctly Midwestern (the city of Cincy is actually losing population to this area). Also, parts of the Louisville area, especially the east side, seems Midwestern. The rest of the state, yes, is very southern.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Eeek. I disagree. I lived in Cincinnati for almost 2 years and there is no difference between Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati. People who were born and raised there will tell you differently because Kentuckians don't want to be associated with "buckeyes" and Cincinnatians don't want to be associated with "hicks." Truth is, it's just one giant spill over. Greater Cincinnati encompasses not only Ohio, but Kentucky and Indiana. Northern Kentucky is NOTHING like the rest of the state. Northern Kentucky is Kentucky's bastard child hahahaha.

The reason I toss this question up is because I'm from southern Kentucky [almost Tennessee]. So we have that southern influence from Tennessee and I always considered Kentucky the south. Then I moved to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky and realized that the whole state really wasn't. Northern Kentucky has next to no southern culture. People were rude and abrasive. They made fun of my accent and I was asked to repeat things umpteen thousand times a week.

Then this past month I traveled Western Kentucky, and it really didn't seem southern to me, either because of the influence from Missouri. I wouldn't say it was like Northern Kentucky, but it wasn't what I was used to. Then Louisville is right across the river from Indiana - and I wouldn't consider Indiana southern, so I don't see why Louisville would be considered southern, either. hehehehe.

I was just curious as to what other people's perspectives were. I think "technically" Kentucky is a southern state because it's south of the Mason-Dixon line. But I wanted other people's takes on it as well

Old 05-14-2007, 07:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Smile Greetings from Pikeville

My part of Ky. is definitely south. I love all of Ky. I am origionally from Ohio. We have lived here for thirty years. I have been to a lot of States, but none as beautiful or friendly.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-14-2007 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: content

Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,256 times
when I moved to Kentucky, I moved to the SOUTH !
'nuff said....

Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,085 times
Kentucky is actually closer to Canada than Florida. Plus we fought for the Union during the Civil War.

In other words, we're in the South!

(Seriously, no one seems to know where to put us. Most of us consider ourselves southern.)

Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Kentucky is actually closer to Canada than Florida. Plus we fought for the Union during the Civil War.

In other words, we're in the South!
Kentucky was a border state during the Civil War...?

But the Civil War came right through my part of the area and the people in my area fought for the Confederacy. We have Civil War reenactments every year and people bring their Confederate flags and sit there and cry. They get all into it. So yeah, Kentucky as a whole didn't fight for one particular side.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
Kentucky was a border state during the Civil War...?

But the Civil War came right through my part of the area and the people in my area fought for the Confederacy. We have Civil War reenactments every year and people bring their Confederate flags and sit there and cry. They get all into it. So yeah, Kentucky as a whole didn't fight for one particular side.
KY was NEVER part of the Confederacy. It actually became a Union stronghold and basis for attacks in the South. KY always remained in the Union, like MO. Now, KY did have a large percentage of residents who fouht for the Confederacy. Often, you would have a family where the older brother fought for the Union but the younger brother fought for the Confederacy. I can't imagine that!

Still, in the year 2007, I am not sure the Civil War means much anymore. South today means accent, food, way of life, and attitude. 95% of KY is most likely south. Parts of Louisville and NKY are confused as to what they are, and that is about right.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,162 times
OK. I'm speaking as someone who has lived in the extremes of both the Midwest and the South. I was born and grew up in Northern Illinois. I moved to KY when I was 8 and lived there until I was 18. I went to college in Birmingham, AL and, upon graduation, moved to Nashville (where I now reside).

Kentucky is a split state. Its culture starts southern at the bottom, but as you move upwards, the climate, stores, restaurants, accents and attitudes all begin to turn Midwestern. Just from my personal observations, I feel that, as a whole, the state is shifting more towards a Midwestern feel (save the Eastern parts, which will probably never change). I was in Louisville for Derby this year and saw a few promotional flyers and such that touted Louisville for its "Southern Hospitality." This really made me laugh. "Who are they kidding?" I thought. It seemed to me that someone was trying to promote Louisville's image from 100 years ago. When I think Southern, I think of the real South (specifically Birmingham due to my personal experience) and trust me...Louisville is NOTHING like Birmingham. It's not even like Nashville for that matter. It really isn’t 100% one way or the other and why would anyone want it to be? I, for one, think a multicultural state is very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky