U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 AM

4 posts, read 10,589 times

Advertisements

i know this is completely unprovoked, but i've just been reading up on all these threads about kentucky being racist and radically conservative and such...so i have a short story id like to share:
my boyfriend and i learned about a summer camp in the Pocono Mountains of PA through our UK student newspaper and were lucky enough to get the job. it was a great experience and i loved it but i had some issues.
mainly, i had never experienced so much stereotyping in my entire life. college students from all over the nation came together to work at this camp and it was as if all of them decided to get together and giggle at the ignorant southerners. on the very first day of camp i was approached by a girl from the west coast, who after a brief introduction, blurted out "so youre a racist right? like you hate black people?" a simple no didn't seem to suffice, but i was so dumbfounded at her ignorance i was speechless. everything stemmed from our accents and our state of origin. overall, i was just disappointed in my peers. i thought my generation was past all that, but there are still remnants out there...
also, another infuriating experience occurred on a day off that my boyfriend and i spent at the lakeshore. we stopped for a local "water ice" (i'm almost positive its italian ice, but thats the local slang) and while sitting at a picnic table we leaned in for an innocent kiss, a peck, if you will. let me first add that my boyfriend has beautiful long brown curls, much prettier than my own. just as we kissed a woman turned around and exclaimed "STOP THAT!" at first we were perplexed and a little irritated by her strange outburst, but all was forgotten. however, a few minutes later, the woman approached us, obviously embarassed, and attempted to apologize/explain by offering that she thought that he was a girl because his hair was so pretty. #1 What if we had been two girls kissing? would she not expect us to be ATLEAST offended? #2 Who in the world was she? the homo police? and who was she to stop two women from kissing? #3 i wouldn't expect everyone to be upset by this. some might not think twice. not everyone enjoys some public girl on girl, not everyone approves of Public Displays of Affection in general; some people believe in one man one woman, in fact some people are repulsed by such things, but its a free country and if two girls did so choose to innocently steal a smooch in plain view then so be it!

*and remember, this took place in PENNSYLVANIA, only an hour from NYC*

sometimes people surprise you in a good way. and sometimes in a bad way.
but either way. i am from kentucky and i was shocked by this behavior. what does that say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 AM

984 posts, read 1,948,735 times
Wink There's always one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms butcher View Post
just as we kissed a woman turned around and exclaimed "STOP THAT!"
Why does that surprise you? You were in Pennsylvania, a state founded by religious prudes!

But seriously, anyone who thinks that "Everybody from _______ thinks that __________..." is just wrong, whether it is southerners or Muslims or anyone else. The KKK was born in the south, but so was MLK.

Even so, there have been some really terrible things committed in the past.... while it may not be right that someone essentially accused you of being a racist based on your accent/hometown, I would much rather have that be topic of complaint instead of the truly evil variety that you *thankfully* tend to hear about only in history books (involving firehoses, rope, etc).

The only real solution is good ol' fashioned effort. I am sure the "hair-trigger racist accuser" probably came away with a different opinion when you left her (1 down, many to go!) Good for you, every bit counts!

PS, the "girls kissing" fear happens in Washington too. Here is the big brother slant a principal put on it.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...kiss+principal

Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 AM

12,407 posts, read 15,055,578 times
Msbutcher. Your boygriend sounds "hot" with his long soft curly hair. At first I figured the woman was just jealous of you. I would imagine that even in San Francisco you would find someone who has a big issue with different lifestyles. I can't really say that one city, state, area is more or less anti-gay or anti-racist than the other. You have haters , lovers and who cares people everywhere. We get accused of being racist over here in east Ky. I don't think that is true. We don't have a big population of blacks, and I have always wondered why. We have a pretty good mxiture of mexican, asian and eastern folks, and we like them fineOnly thing that bothers me is that (like everywhere else} the haters are the ones that speak the loudestso are heard the best

Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,931,151 times
I didn't see any Asians while in Lexington and only a sprinkling of black faces.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM

1,447 posts, read 3,071,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I didn't see any Asians while in Lexington and only a sprinkling of black faces.
Once you get out of Jefferson County, the diversity drops off. The national per cent of Asians is about 4.3% while it's less than 1% in Kentucky.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21000.html

In Jefferson County, that figure goes "up" to 1.7%, so most Asians in Kentucky live in Jefferson County. (Actually, it may be close in Fayette County, so I might amend that to say most Asians in Kentucky live in either Jefferson or Fayette - I can't find an exact count. Needless to say, they are a small minority anywhere in Kentucky. I clicked about a dozen other counties and never found any other county above 0.7%. And Jefferson and Fayette are the most populous counties by far.)
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21/21111.html

The same for African Americans - 7.5% of the state population while 20% of Jeff Co population. For comparison, it's 13.6% in Fayette.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,644,133 times
Its sad what happened but its hardly remnants, many in south still behave like that, and remember its only in 2000 that alabama voters finally repealed the state's century-old ban against interracial marriage,

The vote was running 59 percent to 41 percent

Can you believe that, 41 percent still voted to support a ban against interracial marriages in year 2000?

Such things are so unpleasant and horrible that it can even stereotype the rest of the 59 percent, just like what happened with you about being southern.

And yes, there are ppl against homosexuals outside of KY

Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,589 times
first thank yall for reading my random rantings haha
and secondly, i was really just trying to get the point across that racism and anti-homosexual beliefs exist everywhere. i read in another thread where someone had said:
in some parts of the US people are racist, but they stay quiet about it and speak of it behind closed doors, but atleast in the south, you know where you stand with people.
i can't say i completely agree with that but it does make a point.
im just tired of everyone stereotyping the south as close-minded, backwoods evangelicals. Not to mention all the specifially Appalachian stereotypes: barefoot and pregnant, kisssing cousins, etc. its everywhere. even in hollywood movies.
but im not so naive to believe that other people don't feel the same way. people from NJ don't like being stereotyped as Guidos. and people from CA don't like being stereotyped as mindless hippies.
it just seems to me that stereotypes about the south are more rampant. but what do i know? maybe i only see it that way because those are the ones i have to live with.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Default msbutcher, you've made a good point

I tried to rep you for that one, but the note told me to spread it around before I can give you another one Whenever any big tv or movie production come into the area for one reason or another, they aren't interested in seeing the growth of the area, the new highways, some of the best schools in the state, or our new medical center with state of the art equipment They don't want to learn the rich A.ppalachian culture and heritag of the area. No they are not interested in that. They want to go try to find the most pitifully poor souls who live in substandard dwellings, it is even better if they can find someone with limited education (well, you know what I am saying) I just wish they would get it through their heads that you can go to any big city and find much worse things. Unfortunately, you have unfortunate souls in every community.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Its sad what happened but its hardly remnants, many in south still behave like that, and remember its only in 2000 that alabama voters finally repealed the state's century-old ban against interracial marriage,

The vote was running 59 percent to 41 percent

Can you believe that, 41 percent still voted to support a ban against interracial marriages in year 2000?

Such things are so unpleasant and horrible that it can even stereotype the rest of the 59 percent, just like what happened with you about being southern.

And yes, there are ppl against homosexuals outside of KY
Lordymercy, I didn't know any state could have a ban on interracial marriages any more. You would think that was shot down by the era. But I am really not very good at politics (except to get mad over about it

Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM

3,845 posts, read 8,255,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
KY is really not diverse at all. But the most diverse place is going to be Louisville, of course. You will see more Asians in Lexington when school gets back in the fall. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations in the country, though, as a percentage:

"Of the nation's one hundred largest metropolitan areas, Nashville ranks first in the number of new immigrants arriving from 1991 to 1998 relative to the number of foreign-born counted there in 1990. Atlanta, Georgia is second and Louisville, Kentucky is third."

Source:

http://www.carnegie.org/reporter/11/newimmigrants/ (broken link)

Carnegie Reporter via Census data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky