Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,049 times

Advertisements

I am an African American women that is relocating in KY (around London/Corbin) to live with my boyfriend who is white. I was wondering how well African Americans are treated in these areas?
And how well are inter racial couples accepted? And how rare are they?
Thank you

Last edited by summersnow101; 12-13-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
This smells like a BAIT thread. Don't bite!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,049 times
What? I'm not allowed to ask questions on here?

I wanted honest answers from other people who live in the area. My boyfriend says that there are not many African Americans here, which is fine with me. I just wanted to know how we are treated in the area?

I grew up in a small north Louisiana town, which had a good mix of blacks & whites.And never had a problem there. I have never lived in a predominate one race town and I was just looking for some honest answers.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
I will bite. If it's bait, then my answer will stand the test. First of all, drop the African-American logo/excuse/differentation. Simply using that moniker lowers a person into an automatic second class standard.

The people of Kentucky, with a few exceptions, will and do welcome anyone to live in this state of any color, religion, race, ethnicity, or sexual tendency. What happens is people of self-imposed second class standards are not capable of accepting responsibility for their behavior, acceptance, and even their personal achievements.

I work daily with people of many socio-economic classes, ethnicities, and even religious attitudes. Those experiences have shown me that people who wish to succeed, can!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersnow101 View Post

I wanted honest answers from other people who live in the area. My boyfriend says that there are not many African Americans here, which is fine with me. I just wanted to know how we are treated in the area?

I grew up in a small north Louisiana town, which had a good mix of blacks & whites.And never had a problem there. I have never lived in a predominate one race town and I was just looking for some honest answers.
1 When people are watching, give your man a BIG hug and kiss.
2 Go to a local church (with your man).
3 Go to a local court house (with your man) and inquire about how to get married.
4 Go to a local park (with your man) and hold hands while walking.
5 Tell your man "I love you" in public where others can hear you.
6 Get your pictures (you and your man) taken together at a public place.
7 Ride the mass transit system (if there is one) with your man AND ACT LIKE YOU TWO ARE TOGETHER while doing it.
8 Try hanging out with your man's mom as if you two are friends.
9 Take notice of whether or not your man's mom is nervous about taking you to meet certain friends of hers.
10 Give your man's parents a picture of you and your man together and see if they display it in their house (or even keep it at all).

^^^There are other things you can do in addition to this list to get the answers you seek! Good luck!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
7 Ride the mass transit system (if there is one) with your man AND ACT LIKE YOU TWO ARE TOGETHER while doing it.
Does a pickup truck full of illegal aliens going to a jobsite count as mass transit? That is about the only "mass transit" you'll find in rural KY.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Does a pickup truck full of illegal aliens going to a jobsite count as mass transit? That is about the only "mass transit" you'll find in rural KY.
LOL! Well, Ashland Ky (where I used to live) does have a bus system.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersnow101 View Post
There have been a flurry of these questions lately, so while you are certainly allowed to ask questions, I can see how some people think this was something other than what it is.

In any case, if you do a search or just look through some recent threads, I think you'll get a good idea.

My take is that you will have little or no trouble at all in the urban areas, and you could have some mildly serious issues in rural Kentucky. And that is my honest answer.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
"Summersnow101" is simply trying to stir up things.....

Old 12-14-2009, 05:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
There have been a flurry of these questions lately, so while you are certainly allowed to ask questions, I can see how some people think this was something other than what it is.

In any case, if you do a search or just look through some recent threads, I think you'll get a good idea.

My take is that you will have little or no trouble at all in the urban areas, and you could have some mildly serious issues in rural Kentucky. And that is my honest answer.
Off T.. you need to get out more. Yes, there are a few limited and less than desirable places for a non-white to live in Kentucky, but I assure you there are far more square miles of Kentucky places that are more dangerous to any person of any color to travel through or live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky