Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:39 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times

Advertisements

Louisville has a metro area population of 1.2 million. I wouldn't consider it a large city like a Boston or even Saint Louis (even STL is twice as big)...but, it will feel like a Metropolis compared to Morehead! I have never stopped in Morehead, but it sounds like Mayberry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,095,452 times
stx... stx....stx.... what am I going to do with you! :cP haha!

1.2 million people compared to 6,000... hrmmm Louisville = large city to a LOT of folks..

BTW.. you big ole city slicker should make a day trip to Morehead and visit Cave Run Lake... I wonder if you'd be a Mayberry convert?

NAH!!! you like your shopping and night life too much! haha I don't think watching the paint peel in Morehead would keep ya happy for long, but you never now! :c) hehehehe

Old 05-25-2007, 03:26 AM

12 posts, read 76,344 times
oops!!! You are so right If Iwe was to move to louisville we might as well stay in Vegas.Actually, that was a miss print on my part. Relocating ,to a Maybeery type town is the whole idea of the move. My girlfriend said, thanks, for the heads up,DESIREE253.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
stx... stx....stx.... what am I going to do with you! :cP haha!

1.2 million people compared to 6,000... hrmmm Louisville = large city to a LOT of folks..

BTW.. you big ole city slicker should make a day trip to Morehead and visit Cave Run Lake... I wonder if you'd be a Mayberry convert?

NAH!!! you like your shopping and night life too much! haha I don't think watching the paint peel in Morehead would keep ya happy for long, but you never now! :c) hehehehe
Hahaha. I know Louisville is not a small town, but many locals think of it that way. That's why I pointed out that Louisville wasn't too much smaller than Vegas. You would be surprised. Many typical people on the west coast have no idea about Louisville, and most would consider it to be much smaller than it is, so I was just making sure they knew!

Many here have a very small town attitude, and don't want change. Many of them moved here for jobs from small KY towns (or other Midwest locales), and they retain their down home attitude! You would be surprised. I know out in the state Louisville is viewed as an overwhelmingly huge city though. I have never been to Morehead but plenty of small KY towns like it, and the people are so friendly it is amazing. Still they often look at my like I am nuts for living in Louisville when I go to Lake Cumberland, for example.

And certainly anyone moving to Louisville from the coastal metropolis areas, plus Chicago and a few others will consider Louisville a small town. Just the other day I was at Starbucks and overheard a conversation with a man who moved here from France talking to some women. He says he calls it "Louis" village because its more like a village instead of a huge city.

But you are correct. Here's a comparison. Chicago is a 9 million metro. Louisville is 1.2 million. So chicago is 8 times bigger. Morehead is 6,000, so Louisville is 200 times bigger than Morehead. So yeah, we are a metropolis compared to tiny Mayberry, um I mean Morehead. In fact, there are over 500 tenants just in my building alone, and Louisville has a skyscraper under construction that will house twice Morehead's population during the day!

I wouldn't mind a second home in rural KY. One day, I may possibly choose that over a beach house. I keep harping on the state's natural beauty, and enjoy the lake areas with friends (I do not fish or hunt though). But I would be ready to head back to the city after the weekend. But you are correct, I value my dining, arts, and shopping too much to live permanantly in Mayberry. Then again, I can't be THAT big of a city slicker, I am still in KY (and gave up Chicago to live here)! I have to get my Armani Exchange when I vacation in Chicago

Old 05-25-2007, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,417 times
Cool Please Share Location Info.

Dear City Girl
Please Share What Area You Live In.

As I Am Looking To Buy A Condo & Have No Clue Where To Look ???

I Am Like Yourself - Like The Country, But Dont' Want To Be Out Of The City.
I Am In California & Looking Forward To Get Away.
Thankx

Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushi View Post
Dear City Girl
Please Share What Area You Live In.

As I Am Looking To Buy A Condo & Have No Clue Where To Look ???

I Am Like Yourself - Like The Country, But Dont' Want To Be Out Of The City.
I Am In California & Looking Forward To Get Away.
Thankx
I live in downtown Louisville and I am a male.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NESS/705161187

Real estate in Louisville is already outperforming the national mean, and the condo market is exploding. we enjoyed a 10% appreciation on condos in one year, so I think its a good area to live. What kind of condo do you like? I live in a high rise.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 PM

12 posts, read 76,344 times
Default Banks in Morehead Kentucky

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Morehead, Kentucky, in about six or eight months. We have finally decided Morehead is the place for us concering jobs and weather. We are needing to change banks now as we are not happy with Wells Fargo. What banks are available in Morehead so we don't have to change again? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herford Bray View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Morehead, Kentucky, in about six or eight months. We have finally decided Morehead is the place for us concering jobs and weather. We are needing to change banks now as we are not happy with Wells Fargo. What banks are available in Morehead so we don't have to change again? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
You may have more luck if you make a thread about "banks in Morehead"

Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Citizens Bank
(606) 783-1596 | 216 Trademore Shopping Ctr Morehead, KYzip code

Carroll B Daugherty Branch
(606) 783-1596 | 216 Trademore Shopping Ctr Morehead, KYzip code

First Federal Savings & Loan
(606) 784-4187 | 211 W Main St Morehead, KYzip code

Morehead National Bank
(606) 780-0654 | 1489 Flemingsburg Rd Morehead, KYzip code

Whitaker Bank
(606) 784-8966 | 140 E Main St Morehead, KYzip code

Kentucky Bank
(606) 784-6973 | 1500 Flemingsburg Rd Morehead, KYzip code

US Bank
(606) 784-9689 | 120 Pine Crest Rd Morehead, KYzip code

Citizens Bank the
(606) 743-1501 | Po Box 1026 Morehead, KYzip code

The Citizens Bank
(606) 780-0770 | 114 W MAIN ST MOREHEAD, KYzip code

Us Bank
(606) 780-8300 | 122 E Main ST Morehead, KYzip code

And I know that in Grayson, there is also a City National as well.

Hope this helps

Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Oh.. and btw... I am SO HAPPY.. ONE person reading this post actually liked my idea of Morehead!

Score ONE for Eastern, KY...
I hope yall love it in Morehead.. I'll look forward to meeting you and your girlfriend when yall get here!

P.S. I feel like I just won, stx.. hehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky