U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 170,170 times

Advertisements

yoopergal,
Quote:
being where I can see water is very important to me
Sister, you are a woman after my own heart. You must be a pisces... I live a mile from the Ohio for that very reason. I couldn't afford actual riverfront in an acceptable area, so I have a short drive to watch the sunset. When I sold the farm, I considered buying a houseboat. Friends and family convinced me what a stupid idea that was, and I'm grateful for their wisdom.

MissingIndiana said it best, "it's going to be very hard to find a body of water in KY that will compare to the Great Lakes" So, I'm not sure how much water would be enough. Could you accept a small lake close to Louisville, in exchange for a shorter drive to your daughter's? In that case you might look at Rough River Lake, just west of Louisville:
Kentucky > Rough River Lake real estate, lakefront properties, lake property, lake homes for sale, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront
or Taylorsville Lake to the southeast of Louisville in Spencer County.

But, if you were originally willing to drive to Bowling Green, what about Cumberland? Cumberland Lake is breathtakingly beautiful. The shale banks promote the bluest, clearest water in the state of Kentucky. Understand, in the last few years they've dropped the water level to repair the dam, but they'll be finished soon, and when it returns to normal, there isn't a body of water in Kentucky to compare.

Whatever you decide, welcome to Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,884,245 times
My dream is to live near a body of water be it a river, lake or creek.. prefer a river. One I can run a trot line on and do some limb fishing if I want, where I can swim and launch a boat if I feel like it. That is the life!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,233,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopergal View Post
Thank you for all the wonderful replies! I am leaning toward Louisville, and have looked at pictures of it...looks pretty with the river and all.

Louisville is a good choice but if you are going for pretty, Lexington is much more on the pretty side. Of course there is the water in Louisville and it is close to your daughter.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 170,170 times
Quote:
My dream is to live near a body of water be it a river, lake or creek.. prefer a river. One I can run a trot line on and do some limb fishing if I want, where I can swim and launch a boat if I feel like it. That is the life!
Yeah Missy, I'm witcha. I don't do the fishing thing (I'm more of a cooking & and eating kinda girl...) but the idea of a dock for the boat and a view of the water...
My Sis lived in the Keys for years. The last place she had was on a canal. Walk out the sliding glass doors to a patio and BBQ grill, all in sight of the the dock...I still think about that place...
Personally, if I had only me to consider, I would be living in a cabin overlooking Cumberland. I love that lake.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,884,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityDiva View Post
Yeah Missy, I'm witcha. I don't do the fishing thing (I'm more of a cooking & and eating kinda girl...) but the idea of a dock for the boat and a view of the water...
My Sis lived in the Keys for years. The last place she had was on a canal. Walk out the sliding glass doors to a patio and BBQ grill, all in sight of the the dock...I still think about that place...
Personally, if I had only me to consider, I would be living in a cabin overlooking Cumberland. I love that lake.
I am in love with Green river myself

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,364,135 times
What about Northern KY just across from Cinci? There are some areas with awesome river views in NKY. The river views are much better in NKY than in Louisville IMO as it is a much hillier area. It also puts you an easy 2 hour drive from Columbus. I would stick to a larger city for more well paying options in message therapy.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM

13 posts, read 23,632 times
I can't thank you all enough for the helpful replies. It sounds like I really need to pay a visit to your beautiful state and spend some time in each place. Wherever I decide to go, I know I will be surrounded by very nice folk!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Location: During school I live on campus at MSU but was born and raised in Louisville, Ky.
11 posts, read 14,794 times
You want to move around land between the lakes. I was born and raised in Louisville but I attend Murray State University and the Ohio river nor any other body of water in the state even compares to the land between the lakes area...and recently it was ranked in the top 10 for sailing destinations in the world.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM

28 posts, read 50,446 times
There is a small fishing lake in Williamstown, between Lexington and Cincinnatti. You would be about 40 minutes closer than Lexingtonand about 30 min to the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. If living on a big body of water is what you are looking for you are limited to either Cumberland Lake, 90 minutes south of Lexington, or Herrington Lake, 30 minutes south southwest of Lexington. Most of our lakes here are restricted and you cannot build on them, but those two allow for homes and sometimes a dock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky