U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,086,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
No. Eastern Kentucky has been given up on by the state and only drags the rest of it down nowadays.
Funny...that's how we have been viewed over here in the Jackson Purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I've been to extreme western Kentucky and the poverty there is nowhere near as bad. Far fewer people survive on handouts and the likes. People aren't as stubborn and xenophobic. People in western Kentucky WANT a better life. People in eastern Kentucky REFUSE a better life.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,086,006 times
Quote:
I've been to extreme western Kentucky and the poverty there is nowhere near as bad. Far fewer people survive on handouts and the likes. People aren't as stubborn and xenophobic. People in western Kentucky WANT a better life. People in eastern Kentucky REFUSE a better life.
Oh I agree. The problem is that unless you live in the triangle, you are viewed by the state as a scumbag.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 PM

5,270 posts, read 11,741,239 times
A little aside: My husband and I looked at Asheville as a possible retirement spot - took two trips from California to Asheville. Lots of snow and cold and very high crime within the city....houses were expensive too....really wasn't our cup of tea at all. We retired to KY - love it!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree. The problem is that unless you live in the triangle, you are viewed by the state as a scumbag.
I grew up in eastern KY and hated it, but I don't view western KY as a scumbag, we get many WKY transplants in Lexington and especially as students at UK. I actually tend to like people from out there. They have that pleasant, polite midwestern attitude and they actually try to do something for themselves when offered the chance. Eastern Kentuckians that actually make it into school tend to drop out far sooner and more often due to lack of preparation and motivation.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM

688 posts, read 813,366 times
Quote:
I grew up in eastern KY and hated it, but I don't view western KY as a scumbag, we get many WKY transplants in Lexington and especially as students at UK. I actually tend to like people from out there. They have that pleasant, polite midwestern attitude and they actually try to do something for themselves when offered the chance. Eastern Kentuckians that actually make it into school tend to drop out far sooner and more often due to lack of preparation and motivation.
I didn't. Whether I'm an exception or not does not matter, I made it. And that's the bottom line, cause I said so. Wanna make something of it?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I like far Western Ky., I used to go to Land Between the Lakes with my father and mother when I was a kid, and more recently, when my wife (before we were married) lived in the Ozarks of Missouri and I was dating here, I travelled through Paducah and Wickliffe at least once a month on the way to Missouri. I got no problem with the area (clear on other end of state from me, great barbecue down that way).

Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
I didn't. Whether I'm an exception or not does not matter, I made it. And that's the bottom line, cause I said so. Wanna make something of it?
You're the exception, and just because one person makes it doesn't change the entire degenerate population. What I wanna make of your post is that you sound like a right prick

Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
You're the exception, and just because one person makes it doesn't change the entire degenerate population. What I wanna make of your post is that you sound like a right prick
We have something in common, don't we?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

[quote=UKUKUK;12597947]You're the exception, and just because one person makes it doesn't change the entire degenerate population. What I wanna make of your post is that you sound like a right prick [/Thnk you for the complimetn, nicest thing I've read or heard all day. I;m gonna say what Whoopi Goldberg unexpectedly said on Sister Act... Bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky