Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 70,340 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I would love to hear all about Danville.

What is the hospital like?

How are the schools?

What about shopping? What grocery stores are there? Is there a mall? Do people shop locally or drive to bigger cities?

What restaurants do you have?

I have heard that some large companies left town or closed within the last few years. Can anyone tell me about that?

What are the desirable areas to live? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 AM

389 posts, read 1,653,078 times
One Hospital thats getting some badly needed parking garage,it has a O'Charleys a reno's Applebees,Captian D's a Chinese Buffet place near a Super Wa-mart thats along by-pass 150 .Don't know about the schools except I hear they have a very winning tradition here.Ive also heard some of the bigger co. have left or are leaving Town.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks, I wonder how I can find out about what companies left or are leaving Danville?

Also, is there a Target close by? I know there probably isn't a Costco. Do people travel to Nicholasville to shop? What and where is Hamburg?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 AM

688 posts, read 3,031,531 times
Ky's first Costco just opened last fall in Louisville, although there have been discussions about opening more in other areas of KY. I think that the closest Target to Danville is in Lexington. Hamburg is a large shopping and retail area in southeast Lexington, just off of I-75 at Man O War. It includes a lot of typical chain stores (Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Target, Meijer, Lowe's, Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Office Max, etc), as well as a large cineplex, a variety of hotels, and many restaurants, with a hospital slated for the future.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Talking Look into www.amnews.com

Danville newspaper should have info on the closings of any plants ,I did hear Panasonic in Danville will remain open after getting a new contract.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Hi, I appreciate all of your info. Do you know how long it takes to get from Danville to Louisville? What about Danville to Cincinnati? And I have heard it takes from 35 minutes to andhour from Danville to Lexington! What do you think?
Are there any annual Home and Garden tours, Christamas tours of homes decorated for the Christmas, etc. in these areas?

Old 05-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Exclamation thats about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by millrock View Post
Hi, I appreciate all of your info. Do you know how long it takes to get from Danville to Louisville? What about Danville to Cincinnati? And I have heard it takes from 35 minutes to andhour from Danville to Lexington! What do you think?
Are there any annual Home and Garden tours, Christamas tours of homes decorated for the Christmas, etc. in these areas?
As far as time goes it can take up to an Hour from danville to Lexington.to Louisville about 1 hr-45 min.and to cincy about 2 and half hrs. all of course depends on traffic conditions road const.hope that helps ,don't know about any tours.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 AM

88 posts, read 382,658 times
Hospitals: Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center. It's a medium-sized hospital for a small town, or a small hospital for a medium-sized city, depending on how you view it. I guess they're as good and all-comprehensive in their services as most of your larger city hospitals.

Of course, KY 34 takes you out of Danville to US 27 north, and follow US 27 to Lexington for more services and better renowned doctors, if that's what you choose. US 27 (Nicholasville Road) is Lexington's health corridor and is home to the University of KY College of Medicine and Chandler Medical Center, UK College of Dentistry, Central Baptist Hospital, and dozens of specialty physicians that you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else in Kentucky. In other words, you DO have some good options.

Schools: I don't like public schools very much because of their curriculums, teaching quality, lack of education of basic math and civic knowledge, etc. However, if you didn't want to drive a child to one of Lexington's fine private schools, I guess Danville Independent and Boyle County public school systems would have to do. There are immediate surrounding counties from Boyle--these are Garrard, Mercer, Casey, and Lincoln. For the love of GOD, don't enroll your kid(s) in ANY of these systems. So, I guess Danville and Boyle are the best public systems in this area.

Business: They don't have Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Dick's Sporting Goods, and other "big city" chains. They still have Peeble's (which is the nicest dept. store in Danville,) JCPenney, and Goody's on the southside, and a cinema 8 on the northside. Then, you have your everyday small town stores: Super Wal-Mart, Kroger, K-Mart, Tractor Supply, and Aldi Grocery. Lexington is always 40 minutes away, and the "big city" shopping and dining options stretch along Nicholasville Road anymore from Nicholasville all the way to New Circle Road.

Entertainment: Again, a cinema 8. If you're into arts and culture, Norton Center for the Arts rests on Centre College's campus. Pioneer Playhouse is one of America's best-known resident play companies based in a small town. Again, for larger cinemas and the closest excuse to city nightlife this region offers, one must take Nicholasville Road into Lexington. (For REAL nightlife, Louisville and Cincinnati are both approximately two hours away.)

Old 06-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Danville is cute for small town living ,but I have to go to Lexington if I want popeyes chicken.we got centre college which I heard had B.B King awhile back.only one movie place so expect large crowds esp. since school's out.upcoming downtown some brass band festival.Small town living this is the place.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
Hospitals: Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center. It's a medium-sized hospital for a small town, or a small hospital for a medium-sized city, depending on how you view it. I guess they're as good and all-comprehensive in their services as most of your larger city hospitals.

Of course, KY 34 takes you out of Danville to US 27 north, and follow US 27 to Lexington for more services and better renowned doctors, if that's what you choose. US 27 (Nicholasville Road) is Lexington's health corridor and is home to the University of KY College of Medicine and Chandler Medical Center, UK College of Dentistry, Central Baptist Hospital, and dozens of specialty physicians that you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else in Kentucky. In other words, you DO have some good options.

Schools: I don't like public schools very much because of their curriculums, teaching quality, lack of education of basic math and civic knowledge, etc. However, if you didn't want to drive a child to one of Lexington's fine private schools, I guess Danville Independent and Boyle County public school systems would have to do. There are immediate surrounding counties from Boyle--these are Garrard, Mercer, Casey, and Lincoln. For the love of GOD, don't enroll your kid(s) in ANY of these systems. So, I guess Danville and Boyle are the best public systems in this area.

Business: They don't have Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Dick's Sporting Goods, and other "big city" chains. They still have Peeble's (which is the nicest dept. store in Danville,) JCPenney, and Goody's on the southside, and a cinema 8 on the northside. Then, you have your everyday small town stores: Super Wal-Mart, Kroger, K-Mart, Tractor Supply, and Aldi Grocery. Lexington is always 40 minutes away, and the "big city" shopping and dining options stretch along Nicholasville Road anymore from Nicholasville all the way to New Circle Road.

Entertainment: Again, a cinema 8. If you're into arts and culture, Norton Center for the Arts rests on Centre College's campus. Pioneer Playhouse is one of America's best-known resident play companies based in a small town. Again, for larger cinemas and the closest excuse to city nightlife this region offers, one must take Nicholasville Road into Lexington. (For REAL nightlife, Louisville and Cincinnati are both approximately two hours away.)
Thanks! This is an EXCELLENT RESPONSE with tons of info. I appreciate it so much! I feel better about the quality of medical care. Our children are out of school but I still prefer to be near good schools. What do you think about living near Nicholasville? Is the traffic really terrible? I get the impression it is one long strip of shopping centers with many small, new housing developments and not much character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky