U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 61,200 times

Advertisements

I will be attending the University of Cincinnati School of Law this coming August and have decided upon living in Northern Kentucky because UC provides a Graduate Metro Tuition rate which is substantially less than the rate imposed upon non-residents.

I am married and have two children (2 yrs. old and 2 months),additionally I am white and Christian, but have no problem living among different ethnicties and religious persuasions having done so in the past.

We are looking to rent a 3 bed 2 bath apartment/townhouse (preferably with a little yard for the kids and dog) and would like the rent to be around $900 or below, although we could go to a $1000 per month.

As far as commute time, under a half an hour each way would be great.

Like everyone that posts on the board a safe enviroment for the kids is a must, nearby parks, libraries, rec. centers and amenities would be nice. Furthermore, we would prefer a suburbia setting to an urban setting, but it is not a necessity.

I would greatly appreciate mention of specific neighborhoods and general areas but more of the former than latter.

Your insights will be kind on our gas tank as we explore the Bluegrass State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 23,319 times
Good luck getting to UC in 30 min from Northern Kentucky in the mornings lol. But Independence, KY is where I used to live, 30 to UC is pushing it, but maybe you can give a little there. Town is nice, plenty of parks, youth sports, etc. Lots of nice neighborhoods, even a plaza or two, a few townhouses and apartment complex behind the Kroger in town. Look into it, its one of the better places if you have kids. Msg me if you want to know more, I can give you names of places or directions on mapquest.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Northern Kentucky

Coastal,

I appreciate you giving me a specific idea about where to live in NK, I will look into the area. On to your comment about commute time. The dean of financial aid at UC told me that he lives in Fort Thomas and his commute time is 15-20 minutes to UC. Is his statement bogus?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 23,319 times
It would depend where in Ft. Thomas he lives on a decently clear day with no wrecks and not a lot of traffic you could make it in 20 min. However like I said 6 to 9am are pretty busy, so if its in that time frame your looking more along the line of 30ish min "assuming!" no hold ups. To give you an idea, I went to college 4 days a week. 2 of them would go smooth 1 would have a minor set back but it seemed 1 day a week would always give me trouble, on more than 1 occasion it took me over an hour to get there, but that is rare. So to sum that up yes you can make it in 20 min, but you would want to leave your home with at least giving 15-20 min extra time. Ft. Wright is a really nice place for you to look at too, it has EASY access to I-75.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Coastal

Thanks for the additional insight, I will look into Ft. Wright.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,299 times
I've lived all over NKY and have pretty much always worked in Cincy.

We are looking to rent a 3 bed 2 bath apartment/townhouse (preferably with a little yard for the kids and dog) and would like the rent to be around $900 or below, although we could go to a $1000 per month.

** In NKY if you are paying 900-1000 a month, you should be a homeowner and not a renter!

As far as commute time, under a half an hour each way would be great.

**good luck with that. The places in KY close enough for such a short commute are going to be missing the other things you are looking for.

Like everyone that posts on the board a safe enviroment for the kids is a must, nearby parks, libraries, rec. centers and amenities would be nice. Furthermore, we would prefer a suburbia setting to an urban setting, but it is not a necessity.

**Again, the places that offer this are going to put you in more than 30 mins commute to Cincy.

I think Independence might be the compromise you are looking for. It's about 30 mins to Cincy in rush hour, 15 from Florence which has everything else you want, and is a very quite and safe town with lots of land.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,545,890 times
Recommend: Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, Edgewood, Villa Hills, Park Hills, Highland Heights

Towns I'm neutral on: Ludlow, Crestview Hills, Florence

Do not recommend: Newport, Dayton, Bromley. Most of Covington sucks unless you live in west Covington or the Licking Riverside neighborhood.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I will look into these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky