Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM

389 posts, read 1,651,307 times

Advertisements

Whats it like to live in those cities?climate and jobs outlook?hows the housing?compare both pro's and con's.thanks for any info ya'll!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 26,454 times
Default Henderson

We are supposed to be closing on a house in Henderson tomorrow. So I don't live there YET, but I will soon. It seems to be a nice town, decent sized but not TOO big. There is always Evansville that Henderson is practically a suburb of, just a few minutes away.

Utilities seem reasonable, according to my research on the house we are buying.

Eventually I'll be able to answer more people's questions about the Henderson area. Right now I'm just hoping it's at least half as good as I think it will be from the visits we've had.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,406,429 times
I grew up there and I still have family in Henderson, however I haven't loved there in over 20 years so I think my info might be dated. However I always enjoy going back there it's a nice town and with things going on. We've talked of returning one day when we retire.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Exclamation thanks for info

Thanks for the insight Gin Stanley and Davart been to Owensboro before an got an Impression that it had plenty to do around their.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 20,991 times
I live really close to both Owensboro and Henderson. O'boro is nice, but it is a college town. It has some nice places to eat and shop as well.
Henderson seems smaller to me, I think because it is so close to Evansville, In. But I did have my last child at the hospital there. They have excellent medical facilities. Also some good places to eat and shop. I don't think you could go wrong with either town really.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM

Smile Need to check it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGirltillIdie View Post
I live really close to both Owensboro and Henderson. O'boro is nice, but it is a college town. It has some nice places to eat and shop as well.
Henderson seems smaller to me, I think because it is so close to Evansville, In. But I did have my last child at the hospital there. They have excellent medical facilities. Also some good places to eat and shop. I don't think you could go wrong with either town really.
I think someday I'll check that part of state out again thanks for your input.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

8 posts, read 26,454 times
Default Henderson population

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGirltillIdie View Post
Yes.. and they are adding on to the already huge Methodist Hospital in Henderson, it's supposed to be a very good facility.

Henderson IS smaller than Owensboro... Owensboro (pop. approx. 54,000) is nearly double the population of Henderson (aprox 27,000).. but Evansville (10-15 minutes away from Henderson is huge.. with 270,000 population)... so there are larger towns around if you want. I like the small town feel of Henderson. But I also like being able to go to Evansville for anything I might need that Henderson doesn't supply. (Which I can't really think of what that would be besides a movie theater.)

We are nearly there so we'll see how the summer goes. I think Henderson is the best place for us, lol.. not like we had any choice, husband works there so we needed to move there. <Grin>

Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 AM

88 posts, read 382,283 times
First off, I have to disagree with Gin: Evansville is NOT huge. In fact, Evansville is NOT big. I don't even begin to define "big" until the metro area has 1,500,000+ residents, so we're talking about Cincinnati, Nashville, St. Louis, Raleigh-Durham, etc. It's nothing personal, but I thought I'd point that out.

Henderson and Owensboro are two decent west KY towns which I've lived close to. First off, I don't like Henderson, in part becuase it's SO close to Evansville, which I don't like AT ALL. Second, Henderson is a bassackwards, regressive-thinking town ran by crusty old people...seriously. Wal-Mart has wanted to build in Henderson for ten years; Lowe's and Cracker Barrel have had their sights on the city for a long time, I'm sure. These three businesses just opened up at the intersection of Pennyrile Parkway exit #81 and US 60, but it was after a LONG, uphill battle. Henderson has a sizeable sector of retired elderly people and downtown businesspeople who were vehemently against the expansion or addition of ANY new or large national chains in Henderson. Why? Because they claimed it would "hurt their business" and "stick a machetti in the heart and soul of downtown." Bless their hearts. Downtown Henderson already attracts 250,000+ visitors annually just because of the W.C. Handy Blues Festival. And these businesses, they don't stay open past 5:00pm, which is when people are commuting home from work. So, these small shops might lose some daytime business, sure, but they have no nighttime business to lose, because they'll all be at Wal-Mart, anyway. One plus of Henderson: it does have a beautiful, clean riverfront.

So, I guess that leaves Owensboro. Four colleges, a regional airport (which isn't much, but you can still brag about it,) two huge Super Wal-Marts, the largest Target in the state, Lowe's, Home Depot, Towne Square Mall, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, O'Charley's, Moonlite BBQ, etc. Why would you ever leave Owensboro unless you absolutely wanted to? Plus, good public and great private schools are waiting for you in Owensboro, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Evansville is still 30 minutes away; Bowling Green, one hour; Louisville, two hours.

Am I a tourist rep for O'boro? Absolutely not. Heck, I really hate most of Kentucky. But, since I live here, I want to present the facts and positives to prospective newcomers. Between the two towns, I'd choose Owensboro. (If it's DiamondDee asking this, you live in KY anyway, but oh well...)

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,406,429 times
First off, I have to disagree with lovintexas: There is no set standard on what is considered BIG to someone. I grew up in Henderson and still have family there and it IS NOT 'bassackwards' and keeping mega stores out to preserve your town and not turn it into one big strip mall is not a bad thing, NO TOWN has ever thrived after Wal-Mart stuck one of their MADE IN CHINA superstores in it. (What is it with you and Wal-Mart? Jeez ...)
If you are 'lovin Texas' and 'hatin Kentucky' why would your opinion matter to anyone about Kentucky as it's clearly skewed? Move to Texas ... soot I'll help you pack! Having a laundry list of big chain stores does not progress make, it just makes it look like every other town up and down the highway. A cookie cutter town with NO originality or personality.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

15 posts, read 61,650 times
Quote:
Whats it like to live in those cities?climate and jobs outlook?hows the housing?compare both pro's and con's.thanks for any info ya'll!!
I have lived in Evansville and now Henderson, so I'll do my best. I'll be honest; I rarely go to Owensboro, since Evansville is so close. Gin is a bit off, as Evansville doesn't have a population of 270,000, more like 150,000, less though according to City-data.com. My comparison for you will have to be Evansville/Henderson, which in reality is more "grouped together" than Henderson/Owensboro are.

The climate is good. We experience all four seasons around here. Spring and fall can see dramatic temperature changes radically, per say 40 one day and 65+ the next. Snow is not really usual, and is normally welcome when it does come, but beware...we really aren't good with snow and school and things are sometimes cancelled prematurely, but better safe than sorry, right? Summers are humid and hot. The trees are gorgeous around here in the fall. Spring flowers and rain are lovely. Winter is cold, but not so cold, just right for those needing a touch of winter.

The job market seems solid as of now. I work in Evansville and live in Henderson. I would love to work in Henderson, or Kentucky for that matter, but I cannot currently find a part-time job making what I make now working in Evansville. Evansville seems to pay a bit better then most jobs in the Henderson, but Henderson only has 27,000 people, so obviously jobs are going to be more limited. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been able to score a decent wage job in Evansville at least.

Housing prices are up in Evansville. Housing prices are up in Henderson. We moved to Henderson b/c we got a great deal on a home. The price was just right and the neighborhood great. Unless you choose a run-down neighborhood, your home should sell fine.

I enjoy living in Henderson b/c it does have a little town feel, but with many more amenities than a little town (the town I grew up in has less than 600 people). I didn't enjoy living in Evansville because for me personally, it felt to city-like. Some may scoff at that, and that's fine, but I wanted a little more country in my life. People in Henderson are very nice, and we are happy with our decision. And the Henderson Downtown/Riverfront is just adorable.

Best of luck!

T-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky