U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 98,139 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I plan to retire soon and have been looking toward KY. We would love a peaceful area, with little traffic low or no crime and a decent climate. We would like a nice home but not in a subdivision ( can't stand all the restrictions that HOAs put on homeowners). Liberty sounds good but so do a lot of little towns.
How are taxes, where we live now the State and County take is nearly as much as the Feds take and expect retires to either pay-up or move out. Move out is our choice. We hope to stretch our retirement funds as much as we can.
I see a lot of places offered that seem rural but have county water is most of the ground water in KY so bad that you have to have county water or is it just a convience? We have seen so many public water systems here fail they get contaminated with sewage , chemicals and lead because the system is old or someone dumps something into the system. So we really want control over our water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM

88 posts, read 278,269 times
You mentioned Liberty, but Liberty/Casey County is twenty years behind the times in culture, education, and even the cars many of its people drive. Plus, most of the people from Liberty I've met have been rude, scary, or both. I'd avoid it. Although, I'm sure taxes are next to nothing there.

Danville is the ONLY place in central Kentucky or close to Liberty that is fit to live in. Very nice community, decent people, three colleges, one of America's most thriving small town arts communities, decent shopping--you basically never HAVE to leave town unless you have to.

My preference is the "obtuse angle" that consists of the south and east Louisville Metro area. I define that as Hardin County north of the parkways, Bullitt County (except Shepherdsville,) Jefferson County (outside of the urban service area,) Oldham County and Shelby County. The cost of living here is still substantially less than other metro areas even in Kentucky, the highway system is decent, the job market is growing (especially in Hardin and Bullitt,) and there are good public and private schools (Jefferson and Oldham.) Public schools in the Louisville Metro rank better statewide and nationally than do schools in Lexington, Owensboro, Northern KY, and other metros.

Now, about no neighbors: You might be thinking, "Louisville is not the largest city in the world, but it might still be crowded enough." I understand, the Louisville-Elizabethtown Metro area has 1.4 million people. But don't be fooled. Out in the knob areas of Hardin County and south and east Bullitt County, as well as the gently rolling limestone hills of north and east Shelby County (Bagdad, Cropper, Cedarmore areas,) you will find the most land with few or no neighbors for the lowest cost. A lot of the ground water, the closer you get to Louisville, is not good; the farther away you get, the wells and other natural water sources have just run out (unless you want to draw your water by hand from a creek and boil it...) So, county water is the best option; I can tell you, however, that Shelby Co. has had very clean water in the past, but that was ten years ago and I still hope they have the same quality today. Jefferson County, while I recommend it, is hard-pressed for land and, while 100-300 acres of land can still be found with no neighbors around, you will have neighbors soon.

But, no matter where in the metro you live, from the most rural to most urban areas, you'll still be less than one hour from Downtown Louisville, unless traffic is horrible, which it seldom is (at least compared to other large cities around the country.)

So, in summary:
AREAS TO CONSIDER:
1. Hardin County (except Radcliff/Ft. Knox,)
2. Bullitt County (except Shepherdsville,)
3. Jefferson County (outside urban service, or roughly east of National Turnpike and outside I-264,)
4. Shelby County,
5. Oldham County, and
6. Danville/Boyle County.

AREAS TO AVOID IN KENTUCKY:
1. Anderson and Franklin Counties: Both are near Louisville. They're basically one in the same (Lawrenceburg/Frankfort), but these areas are overpriced, overtaxed, and overrated given the dismal job markets and horrendous school systems in these communities. Also, if you're looking for "Southern hospitality," they don't have it.
2. Anywhere east of I-75: You'll find the most land for the cheapest prices in Kentucky in this region, I'll confess. However, if your 60 minute trip to Wal-Mart from BFE becomes your trip to the "big city," then so be it. These people think Pikeville (Pop. 6300) is a "big city"--NO JOKE!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by lovintexas; 05-30-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Adding a point

Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM

1,447 posts, read 3,077,195 times
Murray is consistantly mentioned as a top place to retire.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 AM

1,833 posts, read 4,425,142 times
Quote:
AREAS TO AVOID IN KENTUCKY: 2. Anywhere east of I-75: You'll find the most land for the cheapest prices in Kentucky in this region, I'll confess. However, if your 60 minute trip to Wal-Mart from BFE becomes your trip to the "big city," then so be it. These people think Pikeville (Pop. 6300) is a "big city"--NO JOKE!
That's rather opinionated and SHOCKING as it sounds, there are people who never shop at Wal-Mart ... some of us prefer to buy American and that would rather be in BFE than to be an suburbanite.

NOW ... Highwaterbuni have you got you heart set on a area of the state or are you open to anywhere. I live in the far western end of the state (thank heavens), nice towns, nice people, good places to shop, great ground water and even county water, shoot we even have electricity in a few houses.
Over all taxes are lower and property is cheaper, people are not piled up on top of each other and there is plenty to do. So consider the areas west of the Lakes (LBL) like Paducah, Murray, Benton, Mayfield, Clinton and the like.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 8,108 times
Unhappy The best place to live in Kentucky

My husband and I lived in Florida before moving to Kentucky and we looked for two years before we bought. We are in Breckinridge County, a little SW of Louisville in the country. We are heartbroken because we need to move to Pennsylvania to assist our parents, to avoid putting them in assisted living facilities. We are selling our beautiful acreage (61 acres with 1600 feet of state road frontage) about 25 miles from Elizabethtown and Ft. Knox and also our brick home with full walkout basement plus 20 acres at the amount we have in them just to be able to move fast. We had planned on selling the house and building on the 61 acres and we had the barn constructed there to be able to live in it with a full bath and washer/dryer hookups while we were going to be building our home. We were impressed with this county because the land is so cheap and the taxes are so low. Also it is one of the few places where there are no county zoning restrictions. I guess you could even put a super Walmart there! Also, even though we don't have children, I am told people move here for the quality of the schools--and people don't ever seem to want to move from here! So if you know of anyone wanting to buy our dream property, please pass the word along. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM

76 posts, read 265,949 times
"shoot we even have electricity in a few houses."

That was great...I am lauging so hard here at work!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM

3,855 posts, read 8,274,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBrueggman2 View Post
My husband and I lived in Florida before moving to Kentucky and we looked for two years before we bought. We are in Breckinridge County, a little SW of Louisville in the country. We are heartbroken because we need to move to Pennsylvania to assist our parents, to avoid putting them in assisted living facilities. We are selling our beautiful acreage (61 acres with 1600 feet of state road frontage) about 25 miles from Elizabethtown and Ft. Knox and also our brick home with full walkout basement plus 20 acres at the amount we have in them just to be able to move fast. We had planned on selling the house and building on the 61 acres and we had the barn constructed there to be able to live in it with a full bath and washer/dryer hookups while we were going to be building our home. We were impressed with this county because the land is so cheap and the taxes are so low. Also it is one of the few places where there are no county zoning restrictions. I guess you could even put a super Walmart there! Also, even though we don't have children, I am told people move here for the quality of the schools--and people don't ever seem to want to move from here! So if you know of anyone wanting to buy our dream property, please pass the word along. Thanks.
This seems like a dangerous recipe for sprawl, and if Louisville catches on like Atlanta did about 50 years ago, it could be dangerous. As I noted, Louisville has very little sprawl, but leads the nation in exurban counties:

Forget suburbs, Louisville tops the nation in exurbs (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:2u2VSKvUpk8J:www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FDate%3D20061128%26Category%3DNEWS01%26Ar tNo%3D311280007%26SectionCat%3D%26Template%3Dprint art+louisville+exurbs+courier-journal&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us - broken link)

This is mainly because unlike other large metros, the core city and county are the main place of living and employment for the majority of the metro. The article is quite interesting and a quick read. I would hang on to that land if I was you...but I sure hope we don't get a lot of out of town developers down there and carving up farm land for cookie cutter subdivisions. If Louisville ever hits an economic boom like Atlanta, it will happen, sooner rather than later. I perosnally think Louisville is going to be a very strong city in the next 50 years if we continue to build densely and focus on inner city neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Breckinridge County

I agree with you as we have seen so much growth in the two years we have been here. With the big cities being so full, there is no other place to go but this direction. We have seen acreage prices double since we've been here just like it did in Florida when we lived there. I think people are tired of places like Florida with the high costs, hurricanes, etc. and probably will be filling up Kentucky fast, with counties like Breckinridge being so cheap and land being so plentiful, they would be crazy not to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This is mainly because unlike other large metros, the core city and county are the main place of living and employment for the majority of the metro. The article is quite interesting and a quick read. I would hang on to that land if I was you...but I sure hope we don't get a lot of out of town developers down there and carving up farm land for cookie cutter subdivisions. If Louisville ever hits an economic boom like Atlanta, it will happen, sooner rather than later. I perosnally think Louisville is going to be a very strong city in the next 50 years if we continue to build densely and focus on inner city neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,942,077 times
Laura, This might sound silly, but have you ever considered moving your parents to KY? If they have houses to sell you can use the money to build guest cottages on your vast property, but I'm sure you have already thought of this. When we buy our house, the plan is to have enough room in case our parents need to live with us at some point, if not, we want to build a guest house in the yard. I wish you luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Breckinridge KY

No, it doesn't sound silly and we did try that idea but they won't budge--friends, grandchildren, etc. keeps them from doing that. Thanks for the suggestion though. Sure hate to give up this great land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Laura, This might sound silly, but have you ever considered moving your parents to KY? If they have houses to sell you can use the money to build guest cottages on your vast property, but I'm sure you have already thought of this. When we buy our house, the plan is to have enough room in case our parents need to live with us at some point, if not, we want to build a guest house in the yard. I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky