U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Mooresville NC
13 posts, read 17,486 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

You said earlier you left in your freshman year....I am sorry but I never mentally left. Harlan lives in my heart. A town that has been handed nothing but stands up for what it believes in like in the mine wars...this is my town. I fight for my beliefs and if that makes me ignorant or lack "book learnin' from thar" then well so be it. I am proud to fight for Harlan and I am pretty sure that your lack of give a crap means that you only care enough about it to bash it. I watched my family take food and sit for hours with people who lost someone and they were always a shoulder for a fellow Harlan neighbor, my grandfather took payments from people for furniture in any way they could pay because he knew that good people pay their debts in any way they can....that is Harlan my friend. You chose to besmirch a community that no matter what takes care of each other if you ask me the world needs much more of that. But like I said you left and you now offer that "view from the highway" that much of America sees I am simply here to offer the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlangirl View Post
You chose to besmirch a community that no matter what takes care of each other if you ask me the world needs much more of that.
So we should ALL be leading producers of marijuana and meth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Mooresville NC
13 posts, read 17,486 times
Reputation: 19
You refuse to see the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,332,508 times
Reputation: 571
man UKUKUK, youve really got some issues with your hometown there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Mooresville NC
13 posts, read 17,486 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
man UKUKUK, youve really got some issues with your hometown there.
I know right....I don't think he was born there. I seem to think he lived there for a period of time from best I can gather he is bitter for something someone did to him or something he saw or heard. He seems to forget that those things happen every day in almost every town. Harlan is small so it seems exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
Reputation: 1072
Not really, it's the fact that I could go to school and be surrounded by a bunch of un-tamed primates whose only cares in life were 4-wheelin' and crushin' up some oxys to snort in the middle of class.

When the kids at your school carry hunting knives and drug use occurs in the classroom, you know you're in a messed up place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Mooresville NC
13 posts, read 17,486 times
Reputation: 19
Ok so you want to blame a mostly generational issue...I understand. Young kids these days are doing things we did not do and drugs are a problem across the board. Parental supervision and participation is key here. This is a nation-wide issue. Hunting is somewhat a cultural thing that never seemed to bother me. I saw knives but pocket knives or hunting knives are more culture than threat. Poverty and misfortune befall many communities UKUKUK however bitter you may be about your time I wonder how many times you asked one of your "un-tamed primates" using drugs or resorting to violence if you could help or just maybe redirect them to something or possibly offer hope. My guess is no. However angry you are about the time you spent in Harlan I want you to ask yourself "was I part of the solution" or "how did I positively impact someone today who seemed to be stuck in a desperate situation" I respectfully decline to continue to argue with someone who has no knowledge of the people as a whole. Your argument is based only on a single generation and I refuse to condemn any location due to a generational defect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,332,508 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Not really, it's the fact that I could go to school and be surrounded by a bunch of un-tamed primates whose only cares in life were 4-wheelin' and crushin' up some oxys to snort in the middle of class.

When the kids at your school carry hunting knives and drug use occurs in the classroom, you know you're in a messed up place.
i just really think its a shame how you judge poor people. you think they are worthless rats. that is just truly sad. i wonder how you feel about detroit and if theyd qualify as "un-tamed primates".

its really just despicable. youve got issues with your heritage and the place that brought you up. you need to work on that because harlan KY will be with you for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i just really think its a shame how you judge poor people. you think they are worthless rats. that is just truly sad. i wonder how you feel about detroit and if theyd qualify as "un-tamed primates".

its really just despicable. youve got issues with your heritage and the place that brought you up. you need to work on that because harlan KY will be with you for the rest of your life.
Not really, I'm over Harlan.

Here's the difference between Detroit and Harlan.

The people who want to be part of a solution at least act like it. Those who don't leave.

The thing about Harlan is that they are too proud to accept help and too proud to move on from their backwards ways.

It's not because they are poor, but because they MAKE themselves poor and don't even TRY. My family moved here from Germany, I am a German citizen, I consider my heritage to be German, as far as my American identification, I identify with Chicago and Detroit, even Lexington, far more than Harlan, though I spent the longest amount of time there.

It was a sad time, though. It's a sad, hopeless place because the people don't see anything wrong with the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlangirl View Post
Ok so you want to blame a mostly generational issue...I understand. Young kids these days are doing things we did not do and drugs are a problem across the board. Parental supervision and participation is key here. This is a nation-wide issue. Hunting is somewhat a cultural thing that never seemed to bother me. I saw knives but pocket knives or hunting knives are more culture than threat. Poverty and misfortune befall many communities UKUKUK however bitter you may be about your time I wonder how many times you asked one of your "un-tamed primates" using drugs or resorting to violence if you could help or just maybe redirect them to something or possibly offer hope. My guess is no. However angry you are about the time you spent in Harlan I want you to ask yourself "was I part of the solution" or "how did I positively impact someone today who seemed to be stuck in a desperate situation" I respectfully decline to continue to argue with someone who has no knowledge of the people as a whole. Your argument is based only on a single generation and I refuse to condemn any location due to a generational defect.
I never mentioned hunting itself, but kids have no reason to carry a hunting knife to class.

Also, the drug problem in eastern Kentucky (especially the meth problem) is MASSIVE. Far worse than anywhere else I have ever been.

...and I've been to a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top