Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 60,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The dying auto industry made Detroit the h%#$ hole it is.
Your comment is as dumb as you are.

Detroit has been a hell hole for the last 30 years. The auto industry wasn't dead then.

It amazes me how people try to make excuses for the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:22 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post

Detroit has been a hell hole for the last 30 years. The auto industry wasn't dead then.

basically you are arguing that being black (or whatever "races" youre referring to) inherently makes you prone to crime and other terrible things. that is the textbook definition of racism, the belief in the inherent superiority of certain races and that certain races are naturally bred to do certain things and behave certain ways. this way of thinking has been refuted on countless occasions, and can be done here as well if you so wish.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 AM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post

Please don't put down an entire city like that. I am sure that there is decent people of all races that live there.

I am sorry to say this but you sound like a racist. Don't you know that if you are indeed a racist, you are going to be the looser in the end? My life would be much poorer had I not met people like my friend Bertha (RIP Bert), my "bodyguard" Deondre and my friend Jeanette, who says a prayer for me daily and so many more, far too numerous to name.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Detroit isn't as bad as it's made out to be, promise.

Indian Village, Boston-Edison, the Brush Park restorations, among other areas are going to revitalize the way the world sees the city. It'll be beautiful and it'll be back!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 AM

17 posts, read 60,221 times
Watch this. Maybe you might learn something.

'BURN' Trailer Goes Viral (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/burn-goes-viral-20100720-wpms - broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Never mind the fact I lived there. I actually preferred it to Lexington. Loads more to do, friendlier people, more events and cultural opportunities. The food was miles better. The traffic is half as bad. It's a fine city.

You don't know a damn thing, son.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
What is happening in Detroit is happening in a lot of cities. Detroit is the 11th largest city in the United States according to a 2007 estimate that I looked up.

Detroit's problem seems to be the failure of the auto industry. Their economy was based almost entirely on that industry. In order for Detroit to get back to some sembalance of it's former self, it will have to attract a variety of industry to the area. With new industry will come jobs and a reduction of the number of homeless people, foreclosed homes and of crime.

I have to be honest, I didn't view the trailor but I did read the article that went with it. It would seem to me that those fire fighters see something worth fighting for since their median age is 41 1/2. To me, that means half of the fire fighters are over that age and could probably retire if they wanted to.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,031 times
I feel the problem (and blame!) goes far deeper than the auto industry.
Take in consideration the impact nationally of NAFTA, technological advances in robotics, computers and our "open" market allowed by our illustrious leaders.
Yes, there are many influences that have brought our economy to our knees, but, in general, the loss of middle class Americans. Jobs now tend to be "high tech" or "no-tech" requiring either substantial education and training or, on the other hand, "brawn but no brains".
I'm afraid the downward spiral hasn't ended and, frankly, can't foresee just how bad it can really get.
The stability of our economy has always been dependent upon the "blue collar workers". Without them, what will sustain us now?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 PM

180 posts, read 596,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraLee View Post
I dream of Kentucky growing by becoming a food, wine, eco-adventure place with some green industry thrown in. I would like to see in Southeastern Kentucky organic production of specialty crops, honey, old strip mined places planted with grapes to fuel a wine industry that fuels a food industry that fuels a tourist industry. I would like to see some charming design of small lodges for tourists, and see the small towns get rid of the fast food industry. I dream of a time when Big Coal loses its power to dominate. It certainly has not brought prosperity to the area so it is time to change. I would like for the people in the area to learn their history and why they talk like they do. It comes from Middle English... many of the words do. Instead of people making fun, they should learn the history... instead of people feeling defensive or bad about themselves, they need to learn their history. The schools have not done a good job. I had to go to college and end up in a Shakespeare course taught by a Professor from England to learn that the way my father spoke was descended directly from Middle English (Shakespearean English). It is a distinct dialect. We should be taught the history so we and others can understand and respect the unique way we speak. I dream of so much for Southeastern Kentucky.

You say coal hasn't brought anything to the areas where it's at. Take a drive over to Western Kentucky and drive down Main Street in Greenville, Kentucky. It's the county seat of Muhlenberg County and the city is experiencing a renaissance in its downtown. How you may ask? A little thing call Coal Severance Money. It, along with a healthy grant, have helped clean it's downtown up and their still working on it. There are plenty of reclaimed stirpmine land in Muhlenberg County that rate as some of the best fishing and hunting tracts in the state. You've got to get your facts straight and quite taking everything the goof balls at Kentuckians For The Commonwealth and Green Peace, as the one and true "Gospel". Reason I say that is half their "stats" are made up lies about an industry that has been the life-blood of a state for years.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockdaddy View Post
I feel the problem (and blame!) goes far deeper than the auto industry.
Take in consideration the impact nationally of NAFTA, technological advances in robotics, computers and our "open" market allowed by our illustrious leaders.
Yes, there are many influences that have brought our economy to our knees, but, in general, the loss of middle class Americans. Jobs now tend to be "high tech" or "no-tech" requiring either substantial education and training or, on the other hand, "brawn but no brains".
I'm afraid the downward spiral hasn't ended and, frankly, can't foresee just how bad it can really get.
The stability of our economy has always been dependent upon the "blue collar workers". Without them, what will sustain us now?
This. Free trade is not free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky