Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 52,800 times

Advertisements

Living up north( Ma.) packed in 3family units as housing, has worn us out, We are looking to move to more open space..that the south has to offer,and good southern hospitality.We want to rent a house for awhile then maybe buy.WE have lived in Va, and Tn. but we want to move to Ky. to be between the 2 states.
Is Cadiz near any medium size city(10-20miles) and what kind of shopping is available locally.(not looking for Tiffany on 5th ave!)We are use to country living and look forward to getting back to it.
Husband is a Heavy Eqip. Operator of 30yrs.,and is also looking for possible Construction Companies that may be in nearby areas.
Any feedback would be GREAT!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
As far as your husband's heavy equipment jobs, the main highway through the Land Between the Lakes (US 68/Ky 80) is being upgraded from a 2 lane to 4 lane road and the bridges across two lakes are going to be replaced. Plus there is a company that has a rock quarry about a mile from lake Barkley and a bigger one in Hopkinsville, about 20 miles away. Hopkinsville guess would be the medium size city around here. At 32,000 it is the 7th largest city in Kentucky. Shopping in Cadiz (GoCadiz.com | Experience Life Naturally!) will get you Dollar General and Fred's, 2 groceries, several gas station/convenience markets ($2.65.9 right now) and 6 antiques shops downtown. For shopping, you'll go to Hopkinsville. That's the closest Walmart. lol You can also get on I-24 and go to Clarksville, Tn., about 40 miles. But sales tax is quite a bit higher in Tennessee. or you can go about 55 miles in the opposite direction to go to Paducah. Both places have a mall that is quite a bit better than the one in Hopkinsville. Murray is about 35 miles west of Cadiz. It is a university town (The Murray State Racers basketball team won the OVC tournament tonight and is going to the NCAA Tournament!!!!)
Murray is a good school. For 15 years the U.S. News has rated Murray state as one of hte top public universities in the country. (http://www.murraystate.edu/main_entry/aboutmurraystate.htm (broken link)) There's no malls in Murray but, once again, a big Walmart and some place different to shop besides Hopkinsville.
On the part about wanting to rent and maybe buy later, we have a new neighbor 2 houses down who is doing that. They are renting and their landlord said she would sell on contract if they wanted to later.
I'm not meaning this to sound mean but you said you wanted to move to Kentucky to be between Virginia and Tennessee. You do realize Cadiz is in the western part of the state and not the east by Virginia? I would say Cadiz is about 75-80 miles from the Mississippi River.
I mentioned the 2 lakes, there is the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area(Land Between The Lakes | HOME), 170,000 acres between the two lakes with all kinds of hiking and biking trails, campgrounds, and all kinds of sightseeing.
You really need to come before 2011 and look around. Everybody in here probably gets tired of me telling all this about Cadiz and the Trigg County area over and over, but I like where I live!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 AM

THANKS so much, this is vey helpful,yes we want to be more centered to nashville,..lol more family there..lol more outlaw family in Va. lol...not to far, but far enough away ! We plan on coming out in Sept. and stay a few days to look around.With your info. this will help a great deal.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Have a safe trip. If you can make it in October, the Country Ham Festival is the second weekend of the month. Come and eat some of the 4,000 lb country ham biscuit! lol

Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Post Ham Biscuits... and Red Eye Gravy

KyGman - We will keep that in mind for Oct.
Hubby wants to know about the Farming in the area also,He use to also Farm large acreage in Tn.- 2000 acre + of wheat and cotton. Are there large farms around ? Just thinking of possible employment options other than Heavy Equipment Operator?
Do any of the local Real Estate Agencies handle rental properties? or Rental Management Agencies? We can call them and have them be on the lookout for us, or check their we site if they have one.I may check out Craigs list to see if anything is listed. We looked at the newspaper online but only saw 3 listings for houses to rent? We don't want an apartment if we can avoid it.
Thanks again,4 all your help

Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 AM

Is he wanting to buy a farm or work on one? There are all kinds of ads in the papers for farmers needing workers. This part of the state is big on agriculture. Getting ready to start tobacco beds and planting so this is the time to get farm jobs. What hurt around here is we had one of those industries who packed up and moved to Mexico, leaving 450 people looking for work. Can he weld? There is a plant here that make semi trailers. They are expanding.
Can't tell you much about renting. All I could really tell you is to check with the realtors. Never fooled much with craigslist so couldn't tell you there.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks again Gman..husband worked on farm,ran combines,pickers,harvesters,etc. and no he can't weld..lol,he hates trying to tape a box together..lol
I found a Con. Company working on the Ky bridge in Livingston,Co. so he'll shoot out a resume to them. I'm sure he'll be able to locate work, your area seems to have quite a few options. I have got a couple of real estate agents ## We'll call and do some checking on that.

Thanks again KyGman...with all your helpful info. and this web site, we feel as though we are already comfortable with the area...and not there yet!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,507 times
very informative we will be there end of the month how is the weather we currently live in the high desert area of California and it snowed here last week

Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NorthernRednecks View Post
Thanks again Gman..husband worked on farm,ran combines,pickers,harvesters,etc. and no he can't weld..lol,he hates trying to tape a box together..lol
I found a Con. Company working on the Ky bridge in Livingston,Co. so he'll shoot out a resume to them. I'm sure he'll be able to locate work, your area seems to have quite a few options. I have got a couple of real estate agents ## We'll call and do some checking on that.

Thanks again KyGman...with all your helpful info. and this web site, we feel as though we are already comfortable with the area...and not there yet!
Message me when you get here.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudskida View Post
very informative we will be there end of the month how is the weather we currently live in the high desert area of California and it snowed here last week
Here's the National Weather Service forecast for the area.
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 36.87°N and Longitude 87.85°W The summers here are hot and humid. This past summer the heat index was over 110 degrees for several days. Temps in the winter can get down close to 0. We can get a fair share of snow but not this past week when the rest of the country was getting covered. We got maybe an inch here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky