Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 60,791 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're looking for the retirement place . Anyway, we've been focusing towards TN, but we're also interested in KY & VA. They all have beautiful wooded areas, the cost for property is very reasonable (1K-3K/acre). Looking for a place where retirees from TX aren't frowned upon. TN doesn't have state income tax and VA has a "personal property" tax. So, how does the actual cost of living compare between these 3 states ? Figuring we'll be retired and on a fixed income. Which state make more sense finacially? I've heard some folks like to live in TN and shop in VA or NC. Does anyone have any comments/info or preferances?

We're hoping to buy land within the next 12-18 months . We're wanting rural wooded land (50-100 acres) with small percentage pasture. Also seeking the proverbial spring fed pond and creek. We'd like to be within an hours drive of a "larger city" (e.g., Nashville, Knoxville, Rahleigh, Bowling Green, etc.). Does anyone know anything of the Edmonton, KY area? Is it anything like Crossville, TN ?

Well, I guess I've rambled on enough. Would love to hear other folks opinions!

TX2TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,417,461 times
True TN does not have a state income tax, but you're in luck that have every other tax known to man and it's higher than KY or VA. So don't let that gimmick fool you.

Frankly all 3 states are really nice, and you can't go wrong with any of them. VA and KY are about the same in cost, TN is not far off. Higher sales tax and tax on food which KY does not have. So near the boarder as I am I see a lot of TN plates at the grocery store.

Don't know that much about Edmonton, so I'm no help there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky