Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,768 times

Advertisements

Most people will easily pick London. Really, it is a nice town. There's a lot more "new" stuff in London compared to Corbin or especially compared to Williamsburg. Corbin Independent Schools are the best schools in the region however. The best elementary school in the Laurel County School district would be Bush Elementary, just East of town. Between the middle and high schools, it would be South Middle and South High. The only problem is that Bush is a feeder school into the North district, which isn't so good. Other good elementary schools: Sublimity and Cold Hill.

The new St. Joseph Hospital in London opens sometime this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM

406 posts, read 860,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1836 View Post
Does anyone know much about the Somerset area or Wayne County? Would either of these areas be too far to commute to Williamsburg? If not, how do they compare with Corbin and London?

Given their proximity to Lake Cumberland, they appear to have some beautiful property locations. Any opinions?
I'll follow up later with a longer post, but commute wise Somerset and Monticello (Wayne County) would be problematic due to the transport network(No direct roads, well good direct roads, between them and Williamsburg).

Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 22,317 times
Corbin schools are top notch. There are lots of summer activities for the Kids as well.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 22,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1836 View Post
Does anyone know much about the Somerset area or Wayne County? Would either of these areas be too far to commute to Williamsburg? If not, how do they compare with Corbin and London?

Given their proximity to Lake Cumberland, they appear to have some beautiful property locations. Any opinions?
Williamsburg is about 80 miles SE of Williamsburg. East on 80 and South on I-75. Pretty drive . Especially along the Pottsville escarpment on the Laurel/ Pulaski line and also form Corbin to Williamsburg on 75 is beautiful. From Monticello are ait would just be too far in my oponion, as would a drive form Somerset. You could go across Jellico Mt. west of Williamsburg to Whitley city and on to Wayne counaty, beautiful area and drive ,but very mountainous betwen Whitley City and Williamsburg going across JEllico MT.. Move to Williamsburg or Corbin both nice towns with Univversities and lots of places to shop like Lowes, JC PEnny, Belk etc.. There is Laurel Lake at corbin and many nice properties in the area with views of tht lake. It is truly a beautiful pristine lake..

Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,985 times
Hey anyone in the south eastern part of ky. My husband and I are looking to retire ina small town but we don't know the area. Our kids live in south carolina but I don't care to go their could I get some info on what some of the towns are like around south east ky. Thank you so much

Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 AM

442 posts, read 536,423 times
Judging by your spelling, you'd fit in in most of the small towns in SEKY. Enjoy your rampant drug problem, property crime, and closed-minded hillbilly neighbors.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times
homiej, that's very judgemental and insulting to an honest inquiry. Didn't your mama ever teach you any manners?? Keep up the rudeness and you'll get reported.

I mean it.

unicornlady: all of mountainous southeastern Kentucky is beautiful but much of the area struggles with issues of unemployment, less than great public schools, drug addiction and dealing (meth, pot, and painkillers are the Big Three), inadequate health care, poor highway infrastructure, etc. Mountaintop removal of coal in much of this area hasn't helped matters at all, as it creates soil, air and water pollution, endangering all who live downstream, devastates woodlands and wildlife habitat, and destroys multimillion year old mountains forever, leaving a moonscape behind, despite rather cynical gestures at "reclamation", generally done by grading the surface into flat benches and scattering non-native grass seed (you can't put it back, and more than 90% of such"restored" MTR sites have been put to any sort of further productive use...).

That said, there are pockets of, well, not quite prosperity but of solid middle class comfort here and there. Check out London, Corbin, Somerset (which is more south-central), perhaps Middlesboro. Towns along I-75 and US 25E tend to have more to offer, generally speaking.

There are several beautiful state parks and public lakes in SE Ky which offer good vacation getaways, with boating, camping, cabins, lodges with very good restaurants, swimming, hiking, etc. See Natural Bridge, Pine Mountain, Jennie Wiley, Cumberland Falls, Lake Cumberland, Laurel Lake, Levi Jackson, Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, and more.

What sort of small town features are of special interest to you and your husband? I'd suggest a visit in the spring or summer so you could look around and get a feel for the area before committing to moving to SE Ky.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,856,770 times
Default That's Mr. to you...

Leave homie alone Craig...I enjoy reading his opinions...you know what they say about opinions....opinions are like @ss holes...everybody has one and in some cases, two, WE HAVE homie.

That's Mr. closed minded hillbilly, redneck, bible thumpin, gun packin, to you, homie!!! You ain't lived here long enough to be on a first name basis....didn't your MaMa teach you any manners?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Judging by your spelling, you'd fit in in most of the small towns in SEKY. Enjoy your rampant drug problem, property crime, and closed-minded hillbilly neighbors.
You're obviously clueless. You don't even know about a drug problem existing until you read about in the newspaper or see it on the news. I don't need to mention that SE KY is very safe. What crime?? Sure there's some like anywhere else. It's no where near being rampant. There are certainly some strange misconceptions that people have. I'm glad I don't stereotype an entire region of the country, grow up already.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM

16 posts, read 45,891 times
Default Bad lawyer

Any body needing a lawyer in williamsburg ky do not use jason price he lies to you he will not tell you the truth he takes your money and does not do what you pay him for he dont answer his phone and will not call you back his office is on main street in williamsburg ky we are worning every body spread the word jason price is a bad lawyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky