U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,560,114 times
Default pet peeve

How come when I walk in some of the Eastern parts of the county people just don't acknowledge you hardly at all. In fact, alot of them look down at the ground or look away as quickly as possible. In SW part of the county, it's the opposite. Why is that???? That is the biggest reason I moved from the Highlands a while back. It drives me crazy! Is there a reason for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 10:20 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,326,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How come when I walk in some of the Eastern parts of the county people just don't acknowledge you hardly at all. In fact, alot of them look down at the ground or look away as quickly as possible. In SW part of the county, it's the opposite. Why is that???? That is the biggest reason I moved from the Highlands a while back. It drives me crazy! Is there a reason for it?
Which county are you referring too? Jefferson?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 AM

Oh, yes. Sorry.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,984,906 times
Because we're better than you!!!!

OK, I really don't know. Everyone in my area is very friendly and I'm not that outgoing. I get lots of waives and hellos. Have you lived in your subdivision that long?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 AM

I don't live there but I walk out that way on occasion and lived in the Highlands for a year before I moved back to SW Jefferson county. I guess not all of the east end is that way but it also seems like alot of people out there don't go out of their way to be friendly.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 AM

3,804 posts, read 8,008,085 times
Quote:
I don't live there but I walk out that way on occasion and lived in the Highlands for a year before I moved back to SW Jefferson county. I guess not all of the east end is that way but it also seems like alot of people out there don't go out of their way to be friendly.
The Highlands is not the east end. It is the city. People in urban areas can be friendly or not, depending on what you seem like. I personally say hi to many people, but I am not used to walking down Bardstown and saying hi to random people. Also, those of us living in the city, expecially downtown, learn to ignore many people because bums will approach you for money. You just have to learn to ignore them. You can always tell who has no city living experience because they stop and allow these panhandlers to corner them, and that is what makes them afriad of downtown areas. I think many people in the east end and east suburbs, like where offtopic lives, are very friendly. They may not be as apt to say hi to a stranger as someone from SW county though. I don't know? I do know the SW county has little in migration, whereas the east end is chock full of transplants, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:15 AM

I'm sorry if I seem a bit aggrivated about the whole thing but you are probably right. I was shocked to see all the homeless in the Bardstown rd area. The part of the area I lived in was Eastern Parkway/Bardstown rd right down from Tyler park.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if I seem a bit aggrivated about the whole thing but you are probably right. I was shocked to see all the homeless in the Bardstown rd area. The part of the area I lived in was Eastern Parkway/Bardstown rd right down from Tyler park.
I haven't really seen any homeless on Bardstown/Highlands. Well, there is one guy who panhandles pretty regularly at Walgreens on Baxter and Highland, but that is about it. Most of the panhandlers are actually around downtown, like in the CBD. Several of them I know by name. They are 99% harmless, and most have mental illness or substance abuse problems, so that is why they walk around like that aimlessly. For our size, Louisville does not have a particular homeless (or panhandling) problem. I remember when I lived in Chicago, Mayor Daly was going to have to issue an aggressive panhandling law because they were chasing businesswomen and calling them sluts if they would not give them change. I often laugh and tell people the bums in Louisville wouldn't last a second in Chicago--they are too polite!

To those from the suburbs who are used to pulling in at Walmart and not interacting with anyone (it AMAZES me that you can know go to the grocery without talking to a soul, just simply use the Uscan machine), it is quite scary to see homeless. Suburbanites are not used to interacting with random people, especially those who look much different from them. It is a social mentality. So, those are the people who go back spreading rumors that "downtown is dangerous" or "ghetto" or what have you. I am not saying you are guilty of this, Missy, I am just speaking generally here. After years of living in a diverse urban environment, one starts to formulate ideas about the way the social world turns, so to speak.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 PM

There are several homeless in the area of Eastern Parkway. In fact, I lived in a building directly behind Edenside Gallery (which has since changed owners) and two of them came in to sleep in the building. On slept on one set of stairs, the other on the other (I could hear them). The police were called because I was alone with three kids and they were taken to a shelter I personally would never ignore someone completely just because they were down on their luck.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
There are several homeless in the area of Eastern Parkway. In fact, I lived in a building directly behind Edenside Gallery (which has since changed owners) and two of them came in to sleep in the building. On slept on one set of stairs, the other on the other (I could hear them). The police were called because I was alone with three kids and they were taken to a shelter I personally would never ignore someone completely just because they were down on their luck.
Missy, I don't like to ignore them, but it is in your best personal interest for safety reasons. I am surprised you had bums near edenside gallery, that is quite an upscale area. That is certianly not commonplace around there, just like murder is not common in St. Matthews (even though it happened the other day). I like to help a brother in need when I can. I bought a cheeseburger for a boy waiting at the Market and Preston Mcdonald's the other day. The kid seriously looked hungry. I have a strict policy against giving money to people--I don't want to unknowingly support substance abuse. But if someone is friendly and truly hungry, I help them if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky