Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
In the public sphere, yeah, you're right, discrimination has no place even though in our gov't it's front and center (set asides, quotas, etc). However, in the private sphere (in a free society) individuals have something called the freedom of association which means that they also have the freedom of non-association. I'm sorry that offends you, but too bad. What really has no place in America is your backwards belief of bringing federal guns down on anyone who disagrees with you or dares utter an opinion or acts in a way that offends your hypersensitive feelings. You brought up a hypothetical example of a black business that refuses service to whites. Yeah? So?
My response was I would take my money elsewhere. Why do you have the incessant urge to intervene? Sure, putting a gun to their heads may bring them into compliance with your demands but is it going to change the way they may feel about whites? Will probably only make it worse! Let's try education, not force. Another guy in this thread mentioned that businesses just want to make money. He's absolutely right, they do. That's why it isn't wise for businesses to discriminate! They will lose out to their competitors who do not discriminate! Don't understand that? Try thinking! Honestly, did the passage of California's prop 209 throw all blacks and hispanics out of California universities as the hysterical doomsdayers said it would? No, it didn't. In fact, graduation rates went up. Do you think that Jerry West would release Kobe Bryant today if the CRA was suddenly repealed? Do you honestly think that there would be mass firings all over the country? No, of course there wouldn't.

You guys seriously need to get over yourselves. Meddling and narcissistic is no way to go through life! Just live your lives. Treat others the way you would want to be treated, hopefully with kindness and civility. For those who insist on being bigots, well, it's their loss. It's they that have to live with their miserable selves. You don't have to associate with them and you don't need to use the full force of the US gov't to force them to associate with people you think they should be. Ok?

BTW, even though some a-holes in this thread believe otherwise, you may have an opinion if you disagree!
Sorry, pal. We have laws in the country & if you don't agree with them I don't know what to tell you other than to just suck it up, go hide under a rock or go somewhere else. All men (and women) are created equal here & that's basically all there is to it. You don't have the "right" to discriminate in your private business just like you don't have the "right" to serve tainted food that doesn't meet with our health standard laws. I know I know, how dare us, right?

BTW, way to call me an a-hole when you don't even know me. That's some real class you got there.

Seriously, dude. Take it back to the political forum where this kind of stuff flies & you can feel free to tea-bag with your fellow bigot. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Link to original article.

Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Looks like the only medical certification Dr. Rand Paul may have is his own.

Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul has touted his experience as an eye doctor, but his certification is not recognized by the American Medical Association. According to the Courier-Journal in Louisville, The Tea Party booster is not a "board-certified" ophthalmologist.

Paul, instead, is certified by the National Board of Ophthalmology, a group he founded in 1999 and currently serves as the head of.
He just gets shadier by the minute, doesn't he?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM

41 posts, read 178,533 times

YouTube - Kelley Paul Speaks Out

Thought I'd post this. Kelly explains things a lot better than I can.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
I think that Rand Paul's stance has been greatly exaggerated, however I think that people should be allowed to discriminate if they want. If the population doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere.

Why is it that they said that this law was being passed because it was so popular, even in the South, but if it was so popular no one would have shopped at segregated shops! Yet another case of northern liberals trying to force the views of New England and California on the rest of the country!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:18 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Didn't anyone read his editorial yesterday in the Courier Journal? He is definitely not in favor of racial discrimination - you people that are acting like he is have no idea what you are talking about. Get your facts straight.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM

76 posts, read 138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I think that Rand Paul's stance has been greatly exaggerated, however I think that people should be allowed to discriminate if they want. If the population doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere.

Yet another case of northern liberals trying to force the views of New England and California on the rest of the country!
I read stuff like this and I think I'm in a time warp... or maybe a bad flashback. Didn't we fight a fairly significant war that involved the [necessary] imposition of "New England" views on the "rest of the country"--ie, the South. The South needed to have humanitarian, enlightened values "forced" upon it in the 19th C and it still does. Left to its own devices the South gives you Rand Paul, Jim Demint, Haley Barbour, Joe Barton etc. etc., ad nauseum etc. They never stop. Always, under the rhetoric of "freedom" and "liberty", the South serves up this kind of reactionary nonsense about the right to discriminate. And so long as they do the Federal government will be there to slap its regressive wrists.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post

Why is it that they said that this law was being passed because it was so popular, even in the South, but if it was so popular no one would have shopped at segregated shops! Yet another case of northern liberals trying to force the views of New England and California on the rest of the country!
Please explain? It seems to me that the south still has alot Racial Tensions to iron out , like Kentucky and Tennessee friends warned me about. Which is pretty sad and Pathetic , you guys should have worked this out decades ago. We Humans need certain laws to keep us in Balance otherwise this world would be in Chaos. Discrimination is one of them , no one in this country should be discriminated against , that goes against our Country's value and Humanity.

The Northeast (including Maryland / DC) serves as a learning example for the rest of the Nation. It shows how 63 Million people squeezed into a tiny area can get along and not discriminate (by the masses) against each other. Before you criticize the Northeast for being too Liberal, we do pump out 25% of the Nation's GDP and have a Larger economy then some Euro and Asian Country's.

Getting back to the discriminating polices and laws. You also have to realize this makes your state look bad , look backwards and racist. Because people and investors think , that if hes saying this then there must be others.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:17 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
So what do you say about that backwards state known as Texas which produces nearly as much as California with a far lower population?

I am from New England, just relocating to Kentucky in a few weeks. New Englanders have such a chip on their shoulders, its terrible. I don't see where my neighbors get off saying that their view ought to be imposed in the rest of the nation.

And we did fight a war over this, but what did it settle? That William Tecumseh Sherman was willing to slaughter innocent civilians and burn their homes while the Confederate armies showed more mercy, and thus kept the northern infrastructure far more intact.

The fact is that no one should be forced to live under laws that they hate because their neighbors want to correct some perceived wrong. New England has gone far since the Boston Tea Party, and unfortunately a once respectable part of the country has turned into a pariah to the rest. While New York Liberals laugh at people who don't desire to live off the government, we laugh at the fact when the government runs out of money for you to sustain your economy, we will not skip a beat as the federal government has ignored the South for a hundred years. You know what happens then? The South rises again.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

174 posts, read 371,075 times
I lived in Ky for a few years and was surprised at the amount of racism that was there. It really showed up when I heard young kids (teens) repeat things their parents said. I was in shock to see how prevelent it was. I have grandchilderen that live there. I made it a point to let them know how I felt. By our conversations I think their on the right track. I'm moving back in about a year and after reading every post on this thread I feel good about the people from KY. There seem to be a lot more good people than racist.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

The Northeast (including Maryland / DC) serves as a learning example for the rest of the Nation. It shows how 63 Million people squeezed into a tiny area can get along and not discriminate (by the masses) against each other. Before you criticize the Northeast for being too Liberal, we do pump out 25% of the Nation's GDP and have a Larger economy then some Euro and Asian Country's.
Slow your role. From someone who lived in the DC area until a couple of months ago (and is black himself), there is a lot of racial segregation and tension that you would not think of. "Liberal" Northern VA can pretty segregated in some spots and races tend to stay among their own kind outside of the office. A lot of blacks in DC were upset that white folks were moving into their historically-black neighborhoods. People try to steer their kids away from the more diverse schools there and the diverse schools are actually pretty good.

I'm not saying that KY is racial heaven but I'm just saying that the NE is not without sin in racial relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky