U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 PM

23 posts, read 149,370 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move to East Tennessee for grad school. We are interested in old historic homes and neighborhoods, nice libraries and parks, nice downtown area..ect. Out of Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport, Elizabethton, or Jonesborough..which do you think fits best. We are in our late 20's with no children. We enjoy festivals, walkable downtowns, and mom and pop type of establishments. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,816,504 times
At first thought, I'd say Jonesborough, hands down!
If Johnson City's downtown were further along then I'd recommend that city and suggest looking in the Tree Streets (close to ETSU) with lots of unique, older architectural styles. Sad to say - cause we own property there - the only thing missing in your wish list within Johnson City is a revitalized downtown. BUT, things *are* looking up and there are some great places to eat within the downtown area. Just need more retail to make it viable as a place to walk and shop.

Johnson City has a wonderful library. My daughter who worships libraries and has visited many throughout the US, was quite surprised and duly impressed with the quality of JC's library.
I know others on this forum are much more well-versed in the area's parks - although I can say that with so much National Forest property, there are numerous parks and hiking trails throughout the area, including on or near Watauga Lake, a pristine jewel of a body of water.

Best of luck and hope you'll be happy in this area, whichever town you choose!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,182,223 times
Jonesborough and Kingsport at the top. There are some historical neighborhoods close to downtown in both, though Jonesborough's tend to be smaller and much more expensive, but the downtown is quite a bit nicer. Kingsport's library is probably better, though. Johnson City's is the best, but its downtown sucks. I've not driven in downtown Kingsport in a couple months, but last time I was there, the number of mom and pops popping up was incredible. One of them, a corner grocery store, was opened by one of our own board members.

Bristol has a new, quite attractive library right in downtown, but I'm not sure of its quality. There are some very historic districts near downtown and that area never really reached the crumbly, boarded up stage of Johnson City, so revitalization was a lot easier (with the help of two good city governments). Outside the center city, Bristol has far fewer sprawl problems than the other cities (welll... exit 7 off I-81 is bad but other than that...)

Johnson City is the mecca of suburban sprawly strip-mall type developments. On the other hand, Johnson City overall feels more metropolitan, and the presence of thousands of professors and university students definitely affects the character of the city.

Festival-wise, Kingsport has something going on nearly every week with Twilight Alive, Bluegrass on Broad, Racks of the Tracks, etc. Johnson City has the Blue Plum Festival but it still has a few years (and some innovation) to go to reach a 'great' status.

There are a few festivals which are internationally recognized. Downtown Bristol has the annual Rhythm and Roots Reunion (2010 Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion) which is quite esteemed. Downtown Jonesborough is home of the International Storytelling Center, and the Int'l Storytelling Festival (National Storytelling Festival - Jonesborough, TN) attracts thousands of visitors each year. The center also holds quite a bit of storytelling throughout the year. Music on the Square, held at the courthouse there, is a months-long once-a-week musicfest that has quite a bit of variety. Johnson City's Down Home (http://www.downhome.com/) has hosted bluegrass and Americana superstars and continues to be a great source for Americana, bluegrass and alt-country in the Tri-Cities.

Though some people deny it, or are blind to it, music and culture are everywhere here. It's not the same kind of culture you get in NYC, but it's a deep and very homey culture. There's music each week at the Bristol Mall; progressive neighborhoods like the Tree Streets in Johnson City hold weekly music concerts in their parks. At the same time the region is rooted in pragmatism and cautious progressivism (Yes, really! - for example, Mountain States Health Alliance just built a large LEED-certified hospital in North JC.)

Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Jonesborough and Kingsport at the top. There are some historical neighborhoods close to downtown in both, though Jonesborough's tend to be smaller and much more expensive, but the downtown is quite a bit nicer. Kingsport's library is probably better, though. Johnson City's is the best, but its downtown sucks. I've not driven in downtown Kingsport in a couple months, but last time I was there, the number of mom and pops popping up was incredible. One of them, a corner grocery store, was opened by one of our own board members.

Bristol has a new, quite attractive library right in downtown, but I'm not sure of its quality. There are some very historic districts near downtown and that area never really reached the crumbly, boarded up stage of Johnson City, so revitalization was a lot easier (with the help of two good city governments). Outside the center city, Bristol has far fewer sprawl problems than the other cities (welll... exit 7 off I-81 is bad but other than that...)

Johnson City is the mecca of suburban sprawly strip-mall type developments. On the other hand, Johnson City overall feels more metropolitan, and the presence of thousands of professors and university students definitely affects the character of the city.

Festival-wise, Kingsport has something going on nearly every week with Twilight Alive, Bluegrass on Broad, Racks of the Tracks, etc. Johnson City has the Blue Plum Festival but it still has a few years (and some innovation) to go to reach a 'great' status.

There are a few festivals which are internationally recognized. Downtown Bristol has the annual Rhythm and Roots Reunion (2010 Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion) which is quite esteemed. Downtown Jonesborough is home of the International Storytelling Center, and the Int'l Storytelling Festival (National Storytelling Festival - Jonesborough, TN) attracts thousands of visitors each year. The center also holds quite a bit of storytelling throughout the year. Music on the Square, held at the courthouse there, is a months-long once-a-week musicfest that has quite a bit of variety. Johnson City's Down Home (Down Home - The Eclectic Music Room - Johnson City, TN) has hosted bluegrass and Americana superstars and continues to be a great source for Americana, bluegrass and alt-country in the Tri-Cities.

Though some people deny it, or are blind to it, music and culture are everywhere here. It's not the same kind of culture you get in NYC, but it's a deep and very homey culture. There's music each week at the Bristol Mall; progressive neighborhoods like the Tree Streets in Johnson City hold weekly music concerts in their parks. At the same time the region is rooted in pragmatism and cautious progressivism (Yes, really! - for example, Mountain States Health Alliance just built a large LEED-certified hospital in North JC.)
Well, folks, that was a definitive, accurate and excellent portrayal of what your choices are..
(The regional folks could use it, *almost* word for word).

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,182,223 times
lol, thanks. I guess I was feeling loyal to the area this afternoon?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
lol, thanks. I guess I was feeling loyal to the area this afternoon?
Sure wish I could rep you, jab - that was really great - but I'm all out of those for the 2 forums I post on.
Are you ever released from that screen that comes up and says you must spread your 'reps' around?

Anyway, I hope there comes a day when folks say, Downtown JC, now that is an incredibly cool place to visit and live!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 AM

23 posts, read 149,370 times
Thank you for all the wonderful information!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 AM

2,000 posts, read 3,681,849 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jabogitlu again. :bangs head

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jabogitlu again. :bangs head
I have evidently used up my quotient for nearly *everyone* who posts on my 2 forums. And that's a fact, rc!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM

2,000 posts, read 3,681,849 times
I'm thinking of going to the new "crime forum" and just repping random people. You know "spread it around". I haven't been able to rep' here in several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol