U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,868 times
Default Autism programs in Kingsport or Johnson City schools

Hello,sorry if there is already a thread about this,but I havent seen one yet.I am considering moving to the Tri-Cities area.I have an 8 year old that is diagnosed with MR and Autism.Not Autism like Jenny McCarthy's kid.I'm talking severe.He has no speech,not potty trained,can be violent when upset.Right now he is in an Autism program within a public school.Its a wonderful setting for him,but Colorado and its prices are wearing on us.I am from West Tennessee born and raised,but I would never consider leaving Fort Collins and going back to that dreadful place.Kingsport seems to be alot like where I live now with the mountains and lakes.Any info on the schools I would greatly appreciate.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 AM

12,428 posts, read 17,537,626 times
The programs are so-so. You will be better off looking at areas outside of TN for special services. TN gives so very little to education.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM

309 posts, read 476,909 times
I agree with Beretta, Special Education programs in this area are not well funded and are not the best I have ever seen. You may want to try a bigger city area such as Knoxville if you are still wanting East TN. Or even Ashville, NC area. I can't say what their special ed programs are like but I do know the programs in this area and can honestly say that I wouldn't recommend them.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 AM

295 posts, read 450,775 times
I've tried to get my best friend to move here from PA because they would be in a much better situation real estate-wise but he's told me that they can't leave Pennsylvania because of all the programs their autistic daughter gets to take part in. Tutors, counseling for their other children, etc. He won't even move back into Maryland because he says PA is a much better state for the type of programs you may like to take part in. Maybe you could compare where you live now to Pennsylvania but I doubt that TN has much to offer. It's all we can do to keep the mainstream kids in school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol