U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,301,496 times

Advertisements

I asked a tax question a few minutes ago, but now I have a religous question. It's about finding a church in the Tri-City area.

I've been reading and running queries about churches in the NE Tenn area. I come up with countless Baptist churches. However, I need a Lutheran (LCMS, aka Missouri Synod, aka German Lutheran) church.

Will my wife and I be able to find the referenced Lutheran church in that area of Tenn or will we be "fish out of water?"

Also, if we are able to locate one, would being a Lutheran in the midst of Baptist country be held against us in a small town? Unlike some that might want to force their ways into a community with an established history and culture, I don't think it's right nor something that I would want to do.

Thanks for your help.
Garth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 PM

It looks like it might be a "fish out of water" issue for us. I thought with some of the German heritage of the original settlers, there might be a chance of some Lutheran churches being around. I guess the Lutherans didn't make it to Tenn. We'll just drop by the area and see how it goes.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 AM

408 posts, read 1,805,872 times
Hi. Me again from one of your tax posts. Do you know which part of the tri-cities area you want to go to? I found this church:

Trinity Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
1545 Bluff City Highway, (423) 764-6872

According to the site it appears to be closest to Bristol.

Then I found this one:

CONCORDIA LUTHERAN CHURCH "MISSOURI SYNOD"
725 Truxton Dr 247-3582 Kingsport, TN 37660-5603

In Johnson City, there are 4 Lutheran Churches listed:

Bethlehem Lutheran Church Lcms
201 East Watauga Avenue
Johnson City, TN 37601-4629
Phone: (423) 926-5261

Living Word Lutheran Church-Wels
Johnson City, TN 37601
Phone: (423) 283-0037

Living Word Lutheran Church-Wels
5210 North Roan Street
Johnson City, TN 37615-7804
Phone: (423) 467-9673

Our Saviour Lutheran Church
212 Sunset Drive
Johnson City, TN 37604-2516
Phone: (423) 282-2313

I haven't really seen people been "anti" those of different faiths around here for the most part. I am sure there are people like that here and there of course those people are everywhere. But over all I do not think you will an outcast religiously. Though you will be greatly out numbered by the Baptist branch of the faith.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:56 AM

Wow!!! Thanks for your help! I've been searching on all kinds of Tr-cities related websites and have been coming up dry. I guess my searching skills need some improvement.

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,060,590 times
Garth, I can tell from experiances as I am a catholic that moved here from elsewhere, that the only time you get that "fish out of water" feeling is when you are in very small, 95% Baptist towns. Even then , no one tried to convert me or anything and I have been invited to some functions at different denomination churches, my children have even gone to the vacation bible schools at different churches. I think most here look at it as "hey, they go to church, doesn't matter which one"
Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,260 times
Red face Re:LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I asked a tax question a few minutes ago, but now I have a religous question. It's about finding a church in the Tri-City area.

I've been reading and running queries about churches in the NE Tenn area. I come up with countless Baptist churches. However, I need a Lutheran (LCMS, aka Missouri Synod, aka German Lutheran) church.

Will my wife and I be able to find the referenced Lutheran church in that area of Tenn or will we be "fish out of water?"

Also, if we are able to locate one, would being a Lutheran in the midst of Baptist country be held against us in a small town? Unlike some that might want to force their ways into a community with an established history and culture, I don't think it's right nor something that I would want to do.

Thanks for your help.
Garth
Garth ,

There is a LCMS in Elizabethton Tn. It is Redeemer Lutheran Church.I am a Lutheran and was baptized and confirmed at Bethlehem Lutheran in Johnson City,Tn. which is also LCMS.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Garth, I can tell from experiances as I am a catholic that moved here from elsewhere, that the only time you get that "fish out of water" feeling is when you are in very small, 95% Baptist towns. Even then , no one tried to convert me or anything and I have been invited to some functions at different denomination churches, my children have even gone to the vacation bible schools at different churches. I think most here look at it as "hey, they go to church, doesn't matter which one"
Hope that helps.
There is a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, in Oak Ridge, too. I know because I took a photo of it. I was looking for the Catholic Church and on the Oak Ridge Turnpike, right in a series of blocks is a Methodist church, a Lutheran Church and a Catholic Church but that's not why I am posting.

I purchased a street map at the local gas station mart for Oak Ridge and Anderson County that shows every denomination church in town right on the map. I'm guessing this map company (Superior) probably makes street maps for other Tennessee counties/towns like the tri-cities area. I found it to be the most valuable thing I had when I visited. In addition to attractions, shopping, parks, government buildings and churches, it also shows every school on the map and labels every neighborhood in the town which would probably be of value if you were searching for a home (you could quickly eyeball what schools were in what neighborhoods after you looked at property and visit them).

Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,105 times
Thumbs up Lutheran Church

I am currently in MD but I visit Watauga TN alot and my hubby and I visited the Bethlehem Lutheran in Johnson City this last Sunday and enjoyed it very much. The members of the church were very friendly and the service wasn't much different than our home church with the exception that it was very low key. Not a bad church to become a member of and the church building was absolutely gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol