Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 5,174 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a job opportunity in the Tri-Cities and I am trying to learn about the area. I know it is very scenic and flat out gorgeous in places and I think I would like the job I am being offered. My question is that people tell me that it is very rural, but when I look at data online there are some conflicting statistics. For example, the Tri-Cities CSA is said to have just over 500,000 in population. But when you look at city populations Johnson City is listed at like 60-70,000, Kingsport at 45,000 and Bristol at like 25,000. My question is where are the other 400,000-ish people in the CSA coming from? The Kingsport-Bristol MSA is listed at over 300,000. That doesn't seem rural to me, but the cities themselves only add up to 70,000 in population.

Do the Tri-cities feel like one big metropolitan area or individual small towns? Based on the population statistics there must be more people who live in between the cities than in the cities themselves. Does that make it feel like all three cities run together? For example, if I lived in Johnson City but worked in Kingsport would my commute feel like "I leave Johnson City, drive through the open country for a little while then enter another city" or would it feel like I am driving through one big community?

I know that I should just visit and see how big it feels and I realize that this is a totally subjective question. I grew up in a *very* rural area where there is no chance of being 500,000 people so I am trying to get an idea of if it is going to be like that or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover4.0 View Post
Do the Tri-cities feel like one big metropolitan area or individual small towns? Based on the population statistics there must be more people who live in between the cities than in the cities themselves. Does that make it feel like all three cities run together? For example, if I lived in Johnson City but worked in Kingsport would my commute feel like "I leave Johnson City, drive through the open country for a little while then enter another city" or would it feel like I am driving through one big community?
Welcome to the forum! Compared to some other parts of the country, I wouldn't characterize our neck of the woods as "very rural" overall but there are certainly many areas here that are rural. We have a nice population-density mix, IMO.

The three main cities are distinctively separate. Driving from any city to another, you go through rolling countryside dotted with homes, churches & businesses, but free of the kind of sprawl you encounter outside most large cities. There's still a lot of farmland here and heavily forested hills & mountains, with subdivisions and small communities scattered hither and yon outside the cities.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Coffeelover.....it depends, but kamoshika san put it fairly accurately.

It would help to know your point of reference....like, where are you living now?

I grew up in a small town....500 or so people, but have lived and worked in major cities. My characterization of JC is that it is a modest town...it is NOT, in my mind, or as the name might suggest (but that is another whole story) a 'city'. I also have seen the 500,000 statistic, and can't fathom where they come up with that number. I would guestimate that the right number is closer to 250,000 to 300,000.

So, to answer your q, the towns of Kinsport, Bristol and JC are generally seperate, but if you are used to commuting, you can do any of them in what to a city/urban dweller would be a short commute. The towns all offer everything which you need...and there is little to no 'traffic', although i sense it was building until the economy fell apart, and will likely grow again. The area has a rich heritage, but is also a 'young' area because of the surge in education and medical related jobs. The single thing that struck me when i arrived was that you go from big box to chain store to chain restaurant.....to angus looking over your shoulder when you get in you car. I find that VERY cool, but others might be put off by it.

You can do your own homework, and yes, you should visit the area a bunch of times to get a feel for the uniqeness of it...in a nice way...and then judge whether it works for you. I think the area has everything to offer without a lot of the hassles of a bigger urban area. It also has PHENOMINAL out of doors opportunties, and that appeals to me big time. Technology works, hospitals and medical services are abundant, transportation is adequate, the area NEEDS decent restaurants, shopping is plentiful, the people are wonderful, and there is lots of church and community if that is your thing. Taxes are low(er), but schools pay the price. Housing is abundant, and comes in all sizes and shapes. Weather, although this year has been unique, is terrific as compared with many other 'nice places to live.'

In summary, i would say it is sort of rural, with adequate urban infrastructure. That is my characterization. I am sure the locals think is has sprawled out of control, and a person from NYC might think they have ended up in the lost continent (until the fighter jets once again are buzzing over Manhattan--then they would pay ANYTHING to leave...quickly!). It all depends on perspecitve, and expectations. You need to come and stay for a while in each of the seasons...and form your own opinions reltaive to your expecatations.

TB

Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
For example, the Tri-Cities CSA is said to have just over 500,000 in population. But when you look at city populations Johnson City is listed at like 60-70,000, Kingsport at 45,000 and Bristol at like 25,000. My question is where are the other 400,000-ish people in the CSA coming from?
Not only does the area contain a number of smaller towns, like Elizabethton, Jonesborough, etc. the tri-cities CSA includes areas in Virginia too. These are figures from 2006, so feel free to estimate the numbers upwards a bit.

JC CSA :Unicoi County - 18K/Carter County - 59K/Washington County - 114K for a total of almost 200K

Kingsport /Bristol CSA: Sullivan County - 153K/Hawkins County - 57K/Washington County VA - 52K/Scott County VA - 23K/Bristol VA - 17K for a total of another 200K

Quote:
For example, if I lived in Johnson City but worked in Kingsport would my commute feel like "I leave Johnson City, drive through the open country for a little while then enter another city" or would it feel like I am driving through one big community?
I haven't done that commute yet, but I have done HWY 11, Bristol to JC, and Bristol to Kingsport. In practical terms, I don't drive for more than 10minutes or so without coming across a gas station and/or a fast food place, but in between I'll pass farms and fields too. It definitely doesn't feel like one massive suburban area, like commuting to some smaller cities on the edges of a larger city will sometimes feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol