Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 AM

83 posts, read 242,246 times

Advertisements

HI
we would love to move to TN and have travel to state from one end to the other this year. The tri-city area seems to be our favorite pick so now on to school info and employment. We have one child who wears a coclhear implant and in our state in mainstreamed with services for speech and back up in the class room (just to make sure he doesn't get behind) I currently drive 350 miles once a week for a special speech at U of M so I wouldn't mind driving to UT but what school district should I be looking at? We have also heard rumors of some schools offering college for kids who graduate from high school. Is this true? We have 6 kids total and not sure how many over our own three are coming with us. Last one how are factory jobs? My husband can do just about anything but most of what I see on the net requires a degree. I know there has to be just plain old jobs he can get till we get on our feet. Thank you so much to all, this site is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
Manufacturing is on its butt; however, most of the manufacturing companies hire through temp agencies if there are jobs available.

For schools, stay in the city. While county schools aren't "bad" per se, city schools have more resources. Kingsport is probably the best of the city schools.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityjoy View Post
HI
We have also heard rumors of some schools offering college for kids who graduate from high school. Is this true?
I think you're talking about this one, it's specific to this area http://www.northeaststate.edu/moneyforcollege_docs/edandgrowbrochure.pdf (broken link)
and the state also has this College Pays - We Can Get You There.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Just to let you know before you make the plunge. Ohio schools are light years ahead of TN schools. TN ranks 47th overall for schools in the nation! Funds are tight here so don't expect a lot of support from any school system. It isn't that they don't want to help, they can't due to resources. Good people here that care deeply; their hands are tied.

If you can handle that, Welcome to TN!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

160 posts, read 354,950 times
If you are interested... there is a deaf school in Morganton, NC. It is about a 2 hr drive from Newport, TN. I don't know anything else about it.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
I was wondering how is your child doing with the cochlear implant? I ask because my grandmother got one at age 65 after being deaf her entire life. Now she can talk on the telephone. It's almost a medical miracle for her.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
You have to be a resident of North Carolina in order to send children to NC School for the Deaf (NCSD) in Morganton. That school is still on the state's "must-shut-down" list and the people in NC are trying to fight against the school closure/shut-down.

There is one, not far from Kingsport - Tenn. School for the Deaf (TSD) in Knoxville.

But since the OP's child has a cochlear implant, they probably are better off sending their child to a public school that caters services for the deaf/hard-of-hearing children. CI usually is frowned upon by "old school" deaf people.

I am not familiar with the Tri-Cities area, but I do remember having friends that went to mainstreamed schools in the Tri-Cities area. You may want to call the BOE systems in Kingsport (city), Sullivan county, etc to get your answers. The Disability dept. at ETSU may help.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,547 times
Have you checked with Tennessee School for the Deaf? It's located in Knoxville.

Try Alcoa for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol