Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 PM

160 posts, read 354,976 times

Advertisements

any eastern/northern TN

I hope this isn't too large, but I am looking in eastern and northern TN to move to. I want to rent first.

Can you tell me 1) either of the areas to stay out of because of crime or not so good neighborhoods or wouldn't be enough places to shop, etc. OR 2)the areas that are good and most people would be happy with?

The reason why I'm asking is because if I pay for a rental, I might not know if the area is run by KKK or rednecks or if crime is going up. I have a pure northern accent. In fact, if a person is from northern NYS they will ask me what town I'm from. (that bad). I'm going to be alone, which doesn't bother me. I have two associate degrees, NC certificate for paralegal, as well as an herbology degree. So, I'm reasonably educated but not up there with the masters degree and higher education. Actually, I like the every day kind of people.

If I know beforehand when I start looking, I will know which areas to stay away from and which areas are ok.

Thanks for any input that you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 28,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
any eastern/northern TN

I hope this isn't too large, but I am looking in eastern and northern TN to move to. I want to rent first.

Can you tell me 1) either of the areas to stay out of because of crime or not so good neighborhoods or wouldn't be enough places to shop, etc. OR 2)the areas that are good and most people would be happy with?

The reason why I'm asking is because if I pay for a rental, I might not know if the area is run by KKK or rednecks or if crime is going up. I have a pure northern accent. In fact, if a person is from northern NYS they will ask me what town I'm from. (that bad). I'm going to be alone, which doesn't bother me. I have two associate degrees, NC certificate for paralegal, as well as an herbology degree. So, I'm reasonably educated but not up there with the masters degree and higher education. Actually, I like the every day kind of people.

If I know beforehand when I start looking, I will know which areas to stay away from and which areas are ok.

Hello.
It all depends on what you're looking for, really. Most of the tri-cities have very low crime rates...There are a few east JC neighborhoods that are sketchy, and Lynn Garden is Kpt isn't so great either. Imho, anywhere in JC is a great place to live, especially on the southern side of town near the university. Most of the students live on campus, in the tree streets neighborhood, or out along Greenwood Road, and those last two areas can be a bit loud at times, but are still very nice and charming. The Cherokee area of JC is very nice, quiet, and has great mountain views, and is still 10 minutes from downtown shopping and dining and the college.

Trust me, you will not have to worry about the KKK by any stretch of the imagination, anywhere in the tri-cities. Do some research They're mostly gone now. And this is just some friendly advice...people from northern states who move down here only experience trouble when they complain about the south and how it is not as good as the north. That will make it hard to make friends, unfortunately. I'm sure you'll find the people down here to be very laid back and friendly, just keep commenting on how beautiful the area is and you're sure to make friends!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
any eastern/northern TN

You wouldn't like Morristown AT ALL! You should look elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
ladyshasta2,

If you really want to try the Tri-Cities area I suggest limiting you search to Johnson City. I think you would be very smart to rent and the shorter the lease the better. Having a northern accent will identity who you are to locals and you won't have any trouble as they will do their best to avoid you. To get along in this area you should believe that the streets are paved with gold, the skies are always blue, and the only thing that comes out of the mouths of the local people is milk and honey. If you think differently keep it to yourself. The Tri-Cities area is comparable to the Triangle area of NC of 20-30 years ago. Today the Raleigh NC area is completely diversified and it's hard to meet a person who is actually from the area. Johnson City is progressing in the same way. If you really have an interest I suggest coming down and staying at one of the extended stay motels and check the area out for yourself before committing to a full move. Other than that your are an American and have the right to live wherever you choose.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 AM

199 posts, read 529,341 times
This area is decent but don't be fooled by all the talk of how friendly and accepting it is cause it's really not. I've noticed a general attitude in this area of not liking "outsiders". Yes it's a friendly area in some aspects but only if you have a feel of being local or know people, have some sort of family connections etc... Also if you are looking to settle down here and find a family have kids etc.... don't bother. It's hard to even talk to anybody at a bar/club/social event here. Unless you know somebody and get involved in a group cause it's extremely clickish here unless you are just looking for a hook up then you are fine.

I'm not saying the area doesn't have its positives cause it does. The cost of living is VERY cheap compared to most of the country, while not a major area we aren't exactly BFE either and have a decent amount of things to do this area although its still limited. Crime is also low as well and in general I'd feel safe in most pockets of this area. Other than being safe and having a low cost of living I can't think of many positives of living in the Tri-Cities though I must admit.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
People here are friendly to people who are friendly themselves. The problems happen when people come from somewhere and insinuate that this area should be more like the area they just left. Generally, you get what you give, and that's true of most areas, not just here.

If you're in or near the cities, no one cares if you are an "outsider". Half the people in my office moved here from one place or another.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
That's what I was thinking too. Half or perhaps over half of the people I work with aren't "native" to northeast Tennessee. Who cares? As long as you're a generally nice and friendly person then you'll get the same in return.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM

80 posts, read 219,689 times
Wow...

Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM

199 posts, read 529,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTennMan View Post
Comical, you are correct. It has ZERO to do with YOU. That's BS. I've had family here for 80 years, but when I moved to the area last year, I was shocked at how people treated "outsiders." NOPE, being generally nice, doesn't automatically generate the same in return.
I was discussing this area about a week ago with a local friend that lives in Johnson City. He's 29 and lived in this area all his life just like me (i'm 30 btw) and he pretty much agreed with me. He had just gotten back from Atlanta and was commenting on how much more open people were and more willing to talk to strangers. When I was in Sacramento/San Fran in 2007 I noticed the same thing.

People in Nor Cal were overtly friendly even to strangers and I striked up several nice conversations with people in the area. I was totally shocked because it's NOT like that here. Also my friend made a point and I believe he is right. He said since he isn't some country boy/redneck that some view him as arrogant and/or an a**hole. I sometimes get that too and neither of us are like that at all. It's just the view here that you have to fit into a certain stereotype or you don't fit in.

I've kept my tongue bit on here at times but really I get sick of the people in this forum acting like it's some sort of paradise here when it's not that great! I've known several people from out of this area to move here and they hated it and moved back very quickly to where they came from.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM

67 posts, read 247,054 times
I'm of the opinion that people are the same no matter where you go. Just because someone has a southern accent doesn't make him dumb or a redneck just like someone who is from up north doesn't automatically make them rude or greedy.

That being said I noticed in some Tenn. forums many don't take too kindly to Northerners. They think people who come here to buy land are rich, and arrogant. I must say, I was dissapointed to hear that but not shocked.

Also there have been a string of burgleries and fires caused by meth labs recently. So while the scenery is beautiful, it is not Mayberry.

And the predjudice against Latinos is unreal. My husband witnessed it the other day.

I do think this is a great place to retire to because it is scenic and the medical facilities are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol