Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times

Advertisements

I need some ideas of where to relocate I need North eastern part of te state. Also I need good schools for my 11 year old. Good employment area and low crime and population also maybe some snow I live in florida and hate the weather here. Any Ideas? They would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderk2004 View Post
I need some ideas of where to relocate I need North eastern part of te state. Also I need good schools for my 11 year old. Good employment area and low crime and population also maybe some snow I live in florida and hate the weather here. Any Ideas? They would be helpful
How large a community are you looking for? Do you want to be in a small city or a small community? What type of work will you want to look for? Do you plan to rent or buy a home? Your answers may help others to make recommendations for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
All the city schools are good. County schools are more hit and miss. The only county school I consistently hear good things about is Sullivan South and its feeders. Another county school, Daniel Boone, has a good track record, but I'm currently worried about some funding issues. I'm afraid the the prior Washington County regime has set it up for a decline by building pretty schools instead of funding programs and teachers.

So I feel safe in giving you: Kingsport City, Johnson City City, Bristol City, and the Sullivan South County school districts.

Johnson City has the best unemployment numbers - jobs are centered in higher ed, medical, and retail.
Kingsport has EASTMAN HQ, manufacturing, and slightly higher unemployment than JC.
Bristol is job challenged right now, with King Pharma up in the air, retail at Exit 7 is all that's going on.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
I recommend Greenevile or Mosheim area. I have heard good things about Greeneville City & county schools. We moved here from Florida about 9 years ago and live in Mosheim. The weather here where we live is milder than the weather in eastern Greene County. We do not get as much snow that is for sure. I would not want to live anywhere else. We searched the state from fron to back,top to bottom before we moved here. This place is perfect. I would check into employment before you come. If you have a professionlike nursing or something in that field, you will find a job easily. Other jobs are more difficult to find. It all depends on what you are looking for.
The seasons are definite here. Summer & Fall being the best (I feel). Winters are cold and 3 to 4 months long anymore. When we first moved here they were more mild and no as long. The past few years they have come early & lasted longer,colder than normal,and more precipitation. So be prepared for that. UGHHHHH. I don't like the cold! I never have. Anyhow you can research tha average percipitation,temps etc on line.Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,327 times
We moved to Washington County, just west of the Jonesborough City limit. The school was new, but very bad, this was in 2008.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
I live in Johnson City right now and I like it. You said that you were looking for a great middle school, and Indian Trail is great. I liked the Indian Trail to Science Hill transition. Sometimes kids find it hard to adjust to high school after middle school, but Science Hill starts with 8th grade. 8th and 9th grade are on one campus and 10-12 are on the other campus. Basically they gave us more privileges from 8th to 9th and from 9th to 10th. It was easy to adjust. They are almost finished remodeling the 8-9 campus, so it will be very nice when your child gets there. They might be done already. I'm on the 10-12, so I haven't been over there in a while. They are rebuilding the 10-12 campus, but it needs to be rebuilt for more space. The only negative thing I can say about Johnson City Schools is there are too many kids. Education is great. When I was in the 7th grade they gave me different math homework than the other kids and called it enrichment. I thought it wasn't fair at first, but now I'm a junior about to go into honors precalculus. I've also met many teachers I will never forget. Some of them are amazing and unique. They are all qualified. You can see reports and stuff on the Johnson City school's website. If your child is in the band, Indian Trail and Science Hill have excellent directors. I thought I might as well tell you about Science Hill along with Indian Trail because Indian Trail years go by real fast. Sorry for writing so much.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 AM

126 posts, read 246,264 times
Hey, great informative first-hand post, billiejoetaco!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 AM

431 posts, read 1,219,296 times
Default employment...

Greeneville is nice but has one of the (if not the) highest unemployment rate around here.

I have been searching for a job for quite a while and what the other people say is true....

If you are a nurse or medical professional you will have it made and find a job easily.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,055 times
My wife and I moved to Telford just outside of Jonesborough in 2007 from Jacksonville, Florida and really love it here. It took a couple of years to acclimate, but it has been worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol