Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM

40 posts, read 128,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
During my time at ETSU (recently received my M.A in Criminal Justice) we studied in depth crime in the area, and the crime rate is well below the national average, as well as below average for cities of similar size. I either personally know or have met many of the police officers in Johnson City, Kingsport, and Jonesborough, and I must say we have a very competent police force in this area. There is not a street in the Tri-Cities that I would feel unsafe walking down at night! The Johnson City Press, as well as the television outlets in this area give a great deal of attention to each individual crime, making it seem much worse than it is.

I can think of at least 4 neighborhoods in JC that I wouldnt walk down at night...Not by myself anyways, or without a gun. And Cloud in KSport is more dangerous than almost any of the 5 or 6 projects in JC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,858,263 times
I moved here from Jacksonville, Florida and there are no really frightening areas around here. There are places in Jacksonville that the cops and rescue units won't go into after a certain time.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I moved here from Jacksonville, Florida and there are no really frightening areas around here. There are places in Jacksonville that the cops and rescue units won't go into after a certain time.
You just havent looked hard enough. But I just visited some family in Memphis, and let me tell you, I would NEVER EVER EVER live in that city, the crime is spread out everywhere, it's not like most city's where crime is concentrated.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM

105 posts, read 520,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJCkid View Post
You just havent looked hard enough. But I just visited some family in Memphis, and let me tell you, I would NEVER EVER EVER live in that city, the crime is spread out everywhere, it's not like most city's where crime is concentrated.
You've got that right. I live 1-1/2 hours from Memphis, and I wouldn't live there either. I only go if I am going to the airport, a specialty doctor, or something like that. I do not like Memhis, but I do enjoy Nashville.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Default That's Memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJCkid View Post
Memphis is bad, but I've been all over Johnson City and I really haven't seen any place that really scares me. Memphis is probably even worse than Jacksonville. I wouldn't even visit Memphis, let alone move there.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,257,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Memphis is bad, but I've been all over Johnson City and I really haven't seen any place that really scares me. Memphis is probably even worse than Jacksonville. I wouldn't even visit Memphis, let alone move there.
I think the big difference here is Jacksonville "bad" and Johnson City (or anywhere in Tri-Cities) "bad" in regards to crime areas. The two are worlds apart. I mean there is bad, then there is "OMG get me outa here now!, please God let us make it out of here in one piece" bad. I think I know an area or two you are talking about in Jacksonville, you are right. There is nothing THAT bad here in this area, however, the areas JCKid is talking about are bad, just relative. I have made some wrong turns in Jacksonville, Miami, DC, Baltimore and Chicago....trust me, we have nothing THAT bad here in North East TN.!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I think the big difference here is Jacksonville "bad" and Johnson City (or anywhere in Tri-Cities) "bad" in regards to crime areas. The two are worlds apart. I mean there is bad, then there is "OMG get me outa here now!, please God let us make it out of here in one piece" bad. I think I know an area or two you are talking about in Jacksonville, you are right. There is nothing THAT bad here in this area, however, the areas JCKid is talking about are bad, just relative. I have made some wrong turns in Jacksonville, Miami, DC, Baltimore and Chicago....trust me, we have nothing THAT bad here in North East TN.!
Exactly right.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Thank Goodness that's cleared up, I was starting to get a little worried.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,132,598 times
We have friends in Memphis and even they say its dreadful there. They live in the "upper class" area of town, but they say there are areas that they dare not venture.

Crime here in Bristol seems very small compared to Memphis, but there are some areas of concern. Downtown can be iffy at night, but it seems like the worst thing down there is prostitution and tramps hanging down there. I thought they had that problem taken care of, so I started making my drive home through downtown area again, but tonight I noticed some pending problems down there tonight, when I seen a couple of trashy ladies standing on a downtown corner, closely watching traffic and making sure they were making spectacles of themselves. I kinda have a feeling what they were up to. Another thing I have heard was tramps hanging on some downtown side streets and alleys.... especially near the homeless shelter.

I would go nowhere near the abandoned hospital on W. State St. I heard it was full of tramps. I thought they were going to remodel that anyway and make it a homeless shelter/retiring home?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 AM

383 posts, read 915,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

I thought they were going to remodel that anyway and make it a homeless shelter/retiring home?

Sounds like they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol