Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

65 posts, read 135,112 times

Advertisements

How about Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
How about Boston.
Not the most welcoming of comments towards someone who's expressed sincere interest in living here. Tends to support the impression some have of this being a community that doesn't support and welcome diversity of views and opinions. But then, there are plenty of others who *are* open to people not born and raised here.. Those are the folks to seek out and befriend.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM

372 posts, read 710,177 times
I couldn't resist to write. I pulled up the forum and this post is the first thing I saw. The answer to your question would be Texas. Why? We have the best homeschool rights of any state in the US. We are protected and the goverment can not come in scrutinize your every move thanks to a law suit many years ago by homeschooled families. Homeschool is recognized as a private school and we have several co ops through out the state. If you move to a progressive area of the state, you find a huge population of home schooled families along with home school sports teams, clubs, co ops that provide enrichment classes as well. I think you would be surprised at how many like minded people like you who homeschool. Have come across a few groups with very liberal minded view points here. The best part, many colleges in the state of Texas accept home schooled children into their school. We use to go to a small co op last year, my child's tutor, her daughter is 15 taking classes already at Southern Methodist University and they are the biggest fans of Barrak Obama.
If you are wanting to fit more in with Liberal views in Texas, always remember a rule of thumb is that Austin is going to be the most liberal minded while Dallas Fort Worth is not so much, however we are not without our liberals and most urban dwellers are liberal here.
I feel though that many liberals come here and change to a more conservative way of thinking or at least they enjoy the more choices we have in education here with private, public, home school, virtual charters and brick and mortar charter schools.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 149,086 times
I just stumbled on this post looking for something on the Tri-Cities homeschooling community. I'm a liberal parent homeschooling my daughter - and she's homeschooled for education (public school: archaic - homeschool: progressive), not for political reasons. I just want to add that there are Democrats hiding in Kingsport and Hawkins County. Johnson City's more liberal base is younger, and therefore I believe far more active than Sullivan and Hawkins County, but there ARE liberals in Kingsport. You can friend Washington County (Johnson City) on Facebook and you'll start meeting people. Kingsport Democrats are usually found under Sullivan County Democrats...and I think the Hawkins County Dems still need a wee bit of work on their web presence, but they do exist. We're working on getting everyone out of the closet

I found Tony's comparison of public schools being liberal and homeschoolers as conservatives a new view to me - although I know many hard-core Christians homeschool, I'm more familiar with liberal homeschooling methods. (For the record, I am a Christian and am registered as Green Party and have six kids, five who went to public schools in NY/TN and off to college, and now youngest currently homeschooled.) I held the view in my mind that public school teachers were conservative and homeschooling parents were less conservative. But, after thinking about it, Tony's probably right. (Either way, the public educational system needs to be knocked down and rebuilt and the good and bad teachers sifted through. All over the US, not just TN.)

I guess I'm just adding this to say YES THERE ARE LIBERALS IN KINGSPORT!!! THEY DO EXIST!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:34 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
One thing that drives me crazy is that so many people post and never return despite people giving of themselves and writing thoughtful posts.

Mod note: The OP of this thread has not been back to C-D since the day of the OP.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM

65 posts, read 135,112 times
Maybe she took my advise and moved to Boston.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordog View Post
maybe she took my advise and moved to boston.

lol!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 AM

178 posts, read 444,085 times
There is an eclectic group of homeschoolers called State of Franklin Homeschoolers. It's a non secular group with a lot of unschoolers. Overall it's a liberal group, with some open minded conservatives. You can google them - I think they still have a Yahoo group. I'm a Christian, my husband is not, so it was perfect for us.

I think the reason people view homeschooling as more of a Christian thing is because A), it's always the religious wackos that get in the news and B) homeschool umbrella schools, at least in this state, have to be church related. I'm not sure how many states have that law. However, you aren't required to use an umbrella school if you have a degree, or if you are non-degreed and teaching a level 4 years under yours. In other words, to homeschool your teenager, you can't teach him 9th grade and above unless you either have a degree or sign up at a church related school. Not all schools require you sign a letter of faith, nor even teach religion if you don't want to, though. (Homelife Academy being one of those if anybody is still reading!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol