Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,270,490 times

Advertisements

LOL!!! Yep, GrannyLois is right. I do praise Washington Co schools but here is why. When we first moved to TN, we moved to Jefferson Co and my oldest was in 1st grade. He had slight learning disabilities and that school had a horrible special ed it was really just a place to stick the trouble makers. We moved to Greene Co and put him in a very small county school where there was a fantastic special ed teacher and two aids that were just wonderful. By the time he was in 6th grade he had worked out of special ed and was doing extremely well. He only needed a little help now and again. By now my youngset was in school and he was advanced compaired to most of his classmates. The oldest was beginning to be singled out by other kids because we were the ONLY catholics in the school and we were not related to anyone else there. I was driving an hour each way to work as I could not find a job in Greene County, I worked in Washington Co. Being a single mom by then, that was hard so when I decided to sell the house and move to Washington County to be closer to work so I could spend more time with my boys, I asked the special ed teacher which schools should we be in. (My youngest needed excelled classes) She said hands down Gray. They have been excellent! My oldest needed the smaller classes and my youngest needed to be challenged, we got both at Gray. My oldest is now in Daniel Boone and it offers many extra curricular activities and clubs as well. I agree with Granny that most of the county schools in this area are just as good, if not better if your child is like mine that just does better in a smaller class size,than the city schools. Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Volunteer High and many other county schools do have many scholarship recipients every year. I would love to see a list somewhere comparing the number of recipients, I bet the county schools would measure about the same as city in that category.
So all in all, it is totally what your child needs out of the school they attend. My point, as well as Grannies is that just because one school gets more funding doesn't mean it is really any better than another. They all have there own issues and I don't think any of them are perfect by any means but I do believe they are very good schools.
As far as me knowing the area, I do some, but there is a lot I don't know too. There are a bunch of people on this forum that know different parts of the area so please don't discount anyones advice and opinions on here, just kinda mush them all together.
I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,632,287 times
Well said, mb, I knew you would have some great input!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 PM

27 posts, read 85,608 times
Wow. That really gives me a lot to think about. As I am pretty fluid (obviously) with where we wind up, I will most eagerly check out all leads. Thank you so much mb and Granny. I am very greatful for all the wonderful imput from all the participants on this forum. This is a very scary move for me as it is so far and the last - and maybe most important - leg of my investigation (my final trip our before the move) was pre-empted due to medical issues in my family. My heartfelt thanks for helping me figure this out.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,270,490 times
You are most welcome. I moved to TN over 10 years ago now and knew NO ONE and had no one to ask questions. It was hard and it did not turn out well at all, took 3 moves to find the right place for us. That gets expensive and tiring! Once I found this site I was hooked LOL! I I can help someone make the move easier, I am happy.
So call me selfish hahaahahhaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol