U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,468,731 times
Default "Must do" things in Tri Cities 2011??

Having been here for nearly 3 years, but working and going to school almost the entire time.....I want to get out and do somethings in the Tricities before I get too old, and I'm sure there are others who are new that would like to get out and see somethings that are "must do" in the Tri-cities.

What are your ideas of "must do's" or at least fun things that don't cost a fortune.

My initial thoughts:

Music festivals in Bristol (summer)
Blue Hole in Elizabethton

What else?? What are some fun & cheap things to do in the Tri-Cities this summer??

Thanks in advance

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,213,752 times
1. Ever tried geocaching? TCG - About Us (http://tricitiesgeocachers.org/about/ - broken link)

2. Bicycle the Creeper Trail.

3. Blue Plum Festival in JC.

4. Walk/jog the trail from Steele Creek to Rooster Park.

5. Walk around Oceola Island at Weir Dam, the TRI's best stop for bird watching and trout fishing.

Last edited by rccrain; 04-06-2011 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: still pondering

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM

5,227 posts, read 6,431,001 times
Not sure it's a 'must do' but Bristol Caverns is a fun way to kill a few hours if you like that sort of thing. Maybe follow that up with a picnic by the creek at Steele Creek Park before you head over to the music festival.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 AM

973 posts, read 589,659 times
Funfest?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM

243 posts, read 435,990 times
There is a TON of stuff to do outside. If all you care about are bars, shopping, and basically staying inside sitting around, you might be a little bored here.

Anyway, I have always enjoyed the hike to Laurel Falls in Elizabethton. You could also venture to Bays Mountain in Kingsport. It like like $1-2 per car to get in.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post that was deleted

Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

5,227 posts, read 6,431,001 times
I put this together for another post but what the heck, it fits here too. I haven't done even a tenth of this stuff yet but plan on eventually doing all of it.
I have heard especially that the Highlands festival in Abingdon is worth going to.
FunFest,
BluePlum Festival
Border Bash
Rhythm and Roots Reunion
Festivals & Events Abingdon
International Storytelling Center
Historic Jonesborough Days
Historic Sullivan- Events
The Virginia Creeper Trail
Cherokee National Forest- Recreation
The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway
Appalachian Quilt Trail

Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 PM

What about that place on Hwy 107, I think it's a fruit stand by day, but I believe people play music there on saturday nights? It's close to the place that has the Corn Maze.

Thanks all for the response, there is so much to do here, but sometimes we forget or in my case, not aware of what's happening.

Have fun this summer everyone.....I'm going to be 45 this year, gotta get off my butt and enjoy the time the good lord has left for me

Tony

Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I put this together for another post but what the heck, it fits here too. I haven't done even a tenth of this stuff yet but plan on eventually doing all of it.
I have heard especially that the Highlands festival in Abingdon is worth going to.
FunFest,
BluePlum Festival
Border Bash
Rhythm and Roots Reunion
Festivals & Events Abingdon
International Storytelling Center
Historic Jonesborough Days
Historic Sullivan- Events
The Virginia Creeper Trail
Cherokee National Forest- Recreation
The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway
Appalachian Quilt Trail

Thanks for the links!! Busy summer ahead

Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Thanks for the links!! Busy summer ahead
Don't forget two of the biggies:

Racks by the Tracks Festival (May 14)
Twilight Alive Concert Series (May 5-July 7)

Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,543,310 times
Music On the Square every friday evening starting in May through the summer in Jonesborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol