Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 10,379 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband and I just moved to Kingsport and closed on our new house April 25th. We have waited 10 years for him to retire so that we could make this move from Tucson, AZ. We are still in the unpacking of boxes stage but it is slowly coming together. We think this is 'God's Country' for sure and everyone we have met so far makes us feel so welcome. I don't think we could be happier.

I have a few questions that I'm wondering if the local folk can help me with. I belong to Angie's List and looked for hospitals in the Tri-Cities area and found HORRIBLE things written about the ones in Kpt and JC. I don't know if it was just dissatisfied people who took the time to write them up or what, but can anyone tell me someone positive about any of the hospitals in the area? I have to admit that finding that on Angie's list kind of shook me up because we've always been under the impression that there was good medical care available in this area. Help! If you live in the Tri-Cities area and had to go to an ER, where would you choose to go??

Thanks for any help you can give us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
From personal experience, Johnson City MC is an excellent award winning hospital, Indian Path is also good in Kingsport. JC has by far the broadest range of services, while Indian Path is more limited.

The other hospitals I can't comment on, but one would think the new hospital in Johnson City (Franklin Woods) would be excellent as well.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I've used Franklin Woods ER a couple times. Seemed okay to me, other than the outrageous attempts to overmedicate/overtreat to get more insurance money - but that happens at every hospital in the nation!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I would go to either Johnson City Medical Center or Indian Path Medical Center. Franklin Woods is also good for minor emergencies.

Over treating and over medicating is so subjective.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 10,379 times
Thank you all so much for your input! It makes me feel a whole lot better. Not that I plan to be visiting or staying in any of the hospitals anytime soon but since we still need to find primary care doctors, I checked out the hospitals first in case certain drs are affiliated with certain hospitals. We are just so happy to have made the move; love our new house (old house new to us!) and the wonderful people that we've met so far.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
You are in Kingsport, for "emergencies" like cardiac symptoms, respiratory arrest, trauma, broken bones, etc I'd go to an Emergency room, Holston Valley Hospital in Kingsport seems good (the only one I've been in). For Johnson City, JC Medical center is where you'd want to go.

For "Urgent" things like, back pain, strep, fever, flu symptoms, dehydration, nausea/vomiting, etc, etc. I'd go to an Urgent Care, generally quicker and cheaper. I've not been to one in Kingsport, but I'm familiar with several in JC. From what I've been told the new Franklin Woods ER generally sends the Cardiac and Trauma cases to JCMC.

And of course, "Chronic" things should be treated with a primary care doctor.

One of the drawbacks in going to the ER for healthcare is the increased cost, and there are tons of people who go to the ER who don't need to be there which slows down the process for people who do need to be there.

Remember there are 3 hospital systems in the Tricities area, Wellmont, Mountain States and the Veterans hospital with clinics. Patients have positive and negative experiences with all of the systems, I personally like Wellmont the best, but that's my personal bias.

What I recommend to anyone going to ANY hospital, is take someone with you to help keep track of what is said/done/advised that way you have help remembering what has been done and what needs to be done. With any field healthcare will have the good/bad, but the overwhelming number of people you meet want to help, but sometimes a small question or observation can make a huge difference to your overall experience and increase the likelihood of a positive outcome for all parties involved.

Good luck to you, welcome and hope you enjoy your retirement and hopefully your good health continues for many years to come.

Tony

Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times
Indian Path is the one we use for our family. They have always been prompt and courteous. I have not had good experiences at JC or Wellmont in Bristol. These are not just with my medical care but others as well. Never went to Holston Valley so far so no opinion on them.

The only problem I have with the area (since I have been here about 5 years) the lack of willingness to give pain meds. Not really the Hospitals fault since this area is bad for prescription pain med abuse. I am just guessing the Doctor hands are tied by Hospital Policy.

I have a chronic problem and can use pain meds. They offer me Lydocain (spelling) shots but after my first one..not again. No pain meds so I have to bear with it.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 PM

295 posts, read 750,550 times
My girlfriend has worked as a cardiac/cath RN in several hospitals in the MSHA group and has worked in another MSHA E/R.

Not going to go into too much detail about what she's shared but from my perspective I'd prefer to go to JCMC. Your mileage may vary. If you need emergent cardio vascular intervention then most of the surrounding institutions will stabilize you, put you on 'Wings' and send to JCMC which I understand has some very good doctors in that specialty.

And yes, if you're in need of pain meds for your conditions then many doctors in the area can be a bit 'gun shy' about that as pain med abuse is, sadly, a very real issue in this part of the country from what many of my medical worker friends tell me from dealing with drug seeking patients.

s

Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
I would go to the Johnson City Medical Center.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
I wouldn't put much stock in Angie's list. It is a very narrow sample, and usually people post because they have a gripe. I have had them call me up and beg me to post about contractors and other services which i have used in the JC area. Thanks, but no thanks. i PAY for the service, and now they want me to post information so they can charge others to access it? CD does a very good job....for free. Just out of curiosity, are there more responses here, or on Angies List, about JC area hospitals?

My observation has been that the JC hispoitals are good, and that the place in Kingsport is also very good. Have not heard anything really critical about any of the places. Fortunately, i have never been through the door of any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol