Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:10 PM

20 posts, read 60,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LhasaPoo View Post
Actually, I'm kidding. Hope you don't mind.

The way we found Tri Cities was to give the decision much consideration and prayer, and waited on some confirmations from the Lord.

The main one was my mom, who lives with us, and my sister, living in Asheville. We want mom to be able to visit back and forth as often as she wishes. Difficult to do from here, as she doesn't handle flying as well as before she turned 80.

In light of my opening remark about the darts and map, another method was to use a map of all areas within a three hour radius of Asheville. With an old fashioned compass, I drew a circle, and began eliminating cities we just didn't want to live in based on high crime rates, negative reputations, experiences we had when living in them (I'm originally from SC, better half is from NC), rumors from family members who've lived in them, and so on.

Also ran the roads to and from for time. After six months, we narrowed it down to a two hour circle, then later, to one hour. That way, mom could drive if she wanted...still does...during the day.

Then we made a list of other reasons for the move. One of those was medical. With the VA being there, (which I may need one day), Johnson City came on the list of "keepers" rather quickly.

Through a lengthy process, it remained 'til the end.

We also did a lot of silent watching on various forums around those areas, and finally made our decision. You'd be surprised how much one can learn quietly listening (actually reading, but you catch my drift) to the chatter of others...

We feel the proof in the pudding that our move to Tri Cities is right, will be when the buyer shows up here in Southern California to purchase our Ranch!

Of course, we have to do our part...prep the place, clean it up, put it on the market, etceteras....and we're doing that, less the 'on the market' part. I've placed some ads, but they're just feelers...have one on craigslist.org in Tri Cities, in fact.

The recent down turn in prices doesn't seem to effect "one of a kind" properties as much, particularly with the accompanying amenities (working worm farm, nursery, dog kennel).

We feel it will be sellable, at a fair price to us and a buyer, whom we're eagerly awaiting. Besides, the kid doesn't graduate until next summer (2008), so we do have time.

I'm visiting in late Oct - early Nov to take a peek, look at some land, meet some folks...just scout the area out.

So, I don't think everyone has to be as complicated as I think I made this decision, but "that's our story, and we're stickin' to it!"

Good luck on your decision matrix.

Wherever you choose to live, be thankful that you live in a country where you can make the choice to move when you want.

Most of the world cannot.
you are so right we are blessed to be able to choose these things in life . just a little joke back at ya you choose for family we pick east TN for beauty and NASCAR oh and the sound of NHRA . now thats throwing darts ha ha.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 31,702 times
Default Have you thought about the Sevierville Area?

I live in the Sevierville area. It is growing by leaps and bounds. Have you thought about Sevierville? We moved here 3 years ago and absolutely love it. We actually live in Kodak which is right off Exit 407. We have a new Bass Pro Shop, a Semi-Pro Baseball Stadium, We have a new shopping complex coming in just to name a few things. I also recently heard at a local restaurant that Disney is looking into putting a water park up toward the exit, and a Six Flags.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 AM

27 posts, read 59,614 times
Default Citrus growing in Tri-Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Citrus can't be grown outdoors anywhere in Tennessee, gets way too cold in the winter. With a minimally heated greenhouse it's possible. When I was in college I worked at a nursery that propagated citrus from cuttings as house plants. The mother plants were grown in enormous pots and kept in plastic houses that were heated enough in the winter to keep the minimum temperatures in the low 40s or high 30s. The plastic was removed from the frames in summer. They grew as large as the available space and bore fruit.

Thanks yarddawg, I appreciate the input. Does your "handle" indicate that you're in the gardening industry, or hobbyist?

Is the nursery you worked at still in business?

What availability is there of nurseries with local production & sales of soil amendments, fertilizers, etceteras?

I'm not asking about the garden centers of Lowe's or Home Depot, but private, independent operations.

Thanks again for the previous, and any future info.

Regards,

Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
I'm looking for a place w/friendlier people, Floridians, for the most part, are just not friendly. And it is HOT here!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 PM

36 posts, read 108,150 times
Yes, Florida does suck! I was born and raised here and we are moving there at the end of October, along with my brother and his kids (who equally hate Florida) and his best friend and her kids, who does not care where on Earth she lives, as long as it is not in Florida! Also, 6 families that I work with (Walgreens) have moved to Tennessee in the last 30 days - I'm the one who mentioned it 1st and all those suckers beat me there! (looks like I'm the sucker)

By the way, my brother will be opening a new breakfast & lunch restaurant shortly after we arrive, so make sure y'all come in for some fantastic home cooking!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Whenever I mention Johnson City to ANYBODY in FL they haven't seem to heard of it. Is this "phenomenon" of exodus into the Tri Cities area unique to the CD boards? I have heard of people moving to Charlotte for the cost, Raleigh and Atlanta to build their career, but besides the obviously BEAUTIFUL scenery , what are some of the other main draws to the Tri Cities area that make it so much better than anything in the state of Florida? I can understand wanting different for sure, but besides from that...

Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 AM

383 posts, read 918,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Whenever I mention Johnson City to ANYBODY in FL they haven't seem to heard of it. Is this "phenomenon" of exodus into the Tri Cities area unique to the CD boards? I have heard of people moving to Charlotte for the cost, Raleigh and Atlanta to build their career, but besides the obviously BEAUTIFUL scenery , what are some of the other main draws to the Tri Cities area that make it so much better than anything in the state of Florida? I can understand wanting different for sure, but besides from that...

Opinions vary but here's my list to get you started:

1) traffic - i have relatives in florida still (lived there in my youth) and can't stand driving down there because of the traffic. here, you have a dozen days a year when the traffic is bad and it's usually when there is a race at bristol. other then that, very little traffic. (but, i must admit that, having lived all over the east coast and mid-west, the drivers here are the worst I have ever encountered...by far...so you have to be alert!)

2) weather - of all the places I've lived, the weather here is unbeatable. low humidity, pleasant breeze even when it's 90 degrees outside, mild winters, fabulous fall and spring. also, when it's 85 during the day, it still drops 30 degrees at night for great sleeping weather. it's difficult to find that type of fluctuation in temps but it's the norm here.

3) low crime - almost all the crime here is either drug busts, people who know each other, or people stealing copper wire. charlotte, atlanta, raleigh..robbery, car jackings, etc are getting out of control. gang violence is on the increase. (a little less in raleigh then the other two..charlotte is the new atlanta)

4) schools - my youngest has been attending a local high school and the incidence of problems here compare to charlotte is a joke. almost every day in charlotte police were called to the school to arrest somebody...doesnt happen here. in charlotte there were constant classroom problems and interruptions..doesnt happen here.

5) cost of living - wages here are lower for many jobs and much of the citizenry lives outside the cities. i wouldnt call the area depressed but your dollars do go further then most places I've lived.

6) It's not necessary for me to speak a foreign language.

7) people - i'm a hermit..my wife is social. so she has friends and the only places that know me are the gym, the liquor store, the golf course, and my favorite restaurants.

i could probably think of more but i'm not going to put any more thought into it this early .

here are a few things I miss and hope we get:

1) a dinner theater closer then abingdon - i love a good play and dinner but don't want to drive to abingdon.

2) a good minor league baseball team - doesnt have to be triple a but a real nice small ballpark with a double a team would be great.

3) a venue that brought in some bigger acts - comedians, shows, etc

any of the three cities here could pull off number one but it would probably take all three working together to get 2 and 3 done above. i'll just wait..the weathers fine in the meantime.

hope that's helpful.

ljay

Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
Opinions vary but here's my list to get you started:

1) traffic - i have relatives in florida still (lived there in my youth) and can't stand driving down there because of the traffic. here, you have a dozen days a year when the traffic is bad and it's usually when there is a race at bristol. other then that, very little traffic. (but, i must admit that, having lived all over the east coast and mid-west, the drivers here are the worst I have ever encountered...by far...so you have to be alert!)

2) weather - of all the places I've lived, the weather here is unbeatable. low humidity, pleasant breeze even when it's 90 degrees outside, mild winters, fabulous fall and spring. also, when it's 85 during the day, it still drops 30 degrees at night for great sleeping weather. it's difficult to find that type of fluctuation in temps but it's the norm here.

3) low crime - almost all the crime here is either drug busts, people who know each other, or people stealing copper wire. charlotte, atlanta, raleigh..robbery, car jackings, etc are getting out of control. gang violence is on the increase. (a little less in raleigh then the other two..charlotte is the new atlanta)

4) schools - my youngest has been attending a local high school and the incidence of problems here compare to charlotte is a joke. almost every day in charlotte police were called to the school to arrest somebody...doesnt happen here. in charlotte there were constant classroom problems and interruptions..doesnt happen here.

5) cost of living - wages here are lower for many jobs and much of the citizenry lives outside the cities. i wouldnt call the area depressed but your dollars do go further then most places I've lived.

6) It's not necessary for me to speak a foreign language.

7) people - i'm a hermit..my wife is social. so she has friends and the only places that know me are the gym, the liquor store, the golf course, and my favorite restaurants.

i could probably think of more but i'm not going to put any more thought into it this early .

here are a few things I miss and hope we get:

1) a dinner theater closer then abingdon - i love a good play and dinner but don't want to drive to abingdon.

2) a good minor league baseball team - doesnt have to be triple a but a real nice small ballpark with a double a team would be great.

3) a venue that brought in some bigger acts - comedians, shows, etc

any of the three cities here could pull off number one but it would probably take all three working together to get 2 and 3 done above. i'll just wait..the weathers fine in the meantime.

hope that's helpful.

ljay
Good response, although I do challenge a couple of aspects.

1.As a Broward County resident, I agree about the drivers, disagree about the traffic. I really haven't had any traffic issues down here, although I have in other parts of the state (chiefly Orlando and Miami).

2.Sounds beautiful . I would like to get out here to see some of the foliage.

3. In my area, most of the crime here is...uhh....well I have to go 10 miles east and or 10 miles south to really get above what you mentioned. We have your typical burglary (although never one recorded in my neighborhood), theft, occasionally robbery once in a while, but in general this is a safe area within a wide span of me in Florida...

4. I graduated high school in Davie in South Florida within the past 5 years. I saw one fight, managed to get out of school without trying pot but maintain a social life (Still talk to my HS friends), and we had two really bored security guards at my school!

5. I think this is the root is why people are fleeing Florida. They can get a lot of the same I am getting for less.

6. Me neither. My area averages about 20-40 percent Hispanic but almost everybody speaks English. My high school was about 20 percent Hispanic, and to tell you the truth, you couldn't really tell. Maybe about 1% of my school was ESOL

7. I am not quite sure how to interpret that.

I do thank you for your input, and I do understand that all of this is tied together by an extremely low cost of living and some beautiful scenery up there in the Tri-Cities area.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,185 times
We are looking to relocate to the Tri City area more in Johnson City we were there last year Loved the area very beautiful we will be there in March of 08. I have lived in florida for 17 years I have had great times here. But the real estate has went crazy and the jobs don't pay that well I am in Fort Myers Florida

We are moving to the Tri City area as well I am currently in Ft.Myers Florida. I would say things started getting bad when the real estate took a dive first everything was sky high then it all stopped Prices are comming down now but alot people are losing money. The jobs here are also suffering work is really slow. The pay dosen't compensate for the high electric, taxes, and forget insurance prices are sky high. We came to see the area last year and fell in love we checked out other areas but I really like Johnson city. The people were all very nice. Is there any areas I should know to stay away from?

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-27-2007 at 08:36 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 04:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
And that's a bad thing?

Personally, I would want to stay out of Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta. Wherever the sheeple are overcrowding is a place that needs to be avoided.

What makes Tennessee better than Florida? City-Data does not have enough bandwidth for me to ever begin to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol