Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,360 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I'm a black, undergraduate Psychology major who is looking into potential graduate schools. I like East TN State University, but my parents are concerned that I might not be safe in this region. My family and I have always associated with people of different ethnicities, and we are accustomed to being the "token" black people in most social situations (church or school). I think my parent's fears stem from them having an unfair perspective of East TN being "backwoods" compared to Memphis or Nashville. I do respect their judgment, however, so I am doing some research. I have learned that Johnson City is over 90% white, but I still need some more information to make a wise choice. What are your opinions? Thank you all in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
ETSU is a very VERY open-minded campus. Likewise Johnson City is far from "backwoods".

UMOJA is a pretty cool festival that happens annually in Johnson City for the purpose of celebrating unity. It's coming up in August.

News
UMOJA JOHNSON CITY, TN | Facebook

Also: "According to Black Enterprise magazine, Johnson City is among the top places in the United States for African-American retirees."

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2008/...ns_-ar-250360/

Whether or not you choose ETSU, I wish you great success and that you will be able to impact your parent's view of our region.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
IMO Memphis is worse as far as race relations, a fair amount of racial tension and animosity in both directions. If I were your parents I'd be more concerned for your safety in Memphis than I would be in JC, and that opinion comes from a recent Memphis resident.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

243 posts, read 692,363 times
As someone who has gone to school (undergrad and grad) at ETSU and worked as a GA there, I can tell you that relations on campus are great. You definitely do not have to worry. However, if your parents are truly concerned, have them contact the multi-cultural affairs office. If you would like their number or the name of the lady in charge, just send me a message. I'm not sure I can post that on here, since things often get removed.

As someone has already mentioned, JC is home to the UMOJA festival, which is a great festival. I do not feel that JC is "backwoods," but there are smaller, more rural areas in NE TN that would be considered that. I have never witnessed anything that would raise concern, especially on or around the ETSU campus. Yes, you might run into some idiots, but you will get that anywhere you go.

I've lived in Nashville (2 years) and would be more concerned for safety there than in JC (though not because of race, but just because of the crime in general). I cannot speak for Memphis, but I have family who do live there and are looking for any way to move. My aunt was mugged (the guy tried to do other things) close to her home in a "safe" neighborhood there. Your parents should keep in mind that crime is going to be everywhere. Johnson City has been lucky in the fact that they have escaped a lot of "serious" crime.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,545 times
JC is pretty different to other areas around here. It just has a different feel to it. You would be fine going to School there. Just got to remember, idiots are everywhere. You cannot escape them completely unless you buy your own island.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,360 times
Thank you all for your input. ETSU is looking better than before

Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 46,549 times
Greetings, Mrscruff1.

My husband and I were there last month for his interview for a position at the University. I will be honest in that my original fears included those of the area being 'backhills.' I was proven very wrong. The people are very friendly and the area is spread out in the Tri-City area but very beautiful! I was impressed with the area, my husband was impressed with staff and faculty at the University, and we will move there next month!

Best of wishes to you!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

26 posts, read 46,549 times
Time is growing closer! We wish we were there already! The movers will be here the 19th and hopefully we will be moved into our new place by the 23rd. I will have to find a job fairly soon, but it will be a treat to learn more about the area, find some good places to volunteer, and then find a good job.

Any help with Tri City jobs - accounting, finance, busniess managment - half way through my MBA. Positive outlook on life, like people, and hardworking/honest.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Since you will be at ETSU, their career development office will be able to help you find jobs in those fields.

Bonus, ETSU's School of Business and Technology is one of the best values (quality for price) in the nation.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 PM

19 posts, read 30,316 times
Default Diversity

It is true that Johnson City is mostly white. But it is also a university town, and that makes a big difference.
Although I am white, I work in a department with 7 other residents and we have quite a bit of diversity. None are black, but I think Muslims run up against similar if not greater prejudice in parts of the country. Of the 8 of us, one is Indian, one Egyptian, one Pakistani and one Russian. 2 are Muslim, one Hindu. One of the muslims covers her hair. All of them like it here and I've heard no complaints about interaction with the general public. People are pretty nice here.
As for safety, you're safer here than in memphis regardless of race, religion or orientation.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol