Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,843 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just moved to JC area a few months ago and was wondering if anyone knows of any local bluegrass bands looking for a bass player. I am 25 years old and just looking to either jam or play local gigs on the weekends. Does anyone know anybody or any good local places to catch some Bluegrass music? Also wanted to thank everyone here at this site. I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and really enjoy this site. I love the area. East TN is the best part of TN hands down!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM

15 posts, read 35,125 times
Well, you need to check out the Down Home in Johnson City.
Also, a lot of students hang out at the Acoustic Coffee House also in JC.

There are tons of players in this area.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,244,984 times
Check out the Bus Pit in Kingsport too.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM

510 posts, read 1,378,144 times
One of the three hosts of Mountain Music Showcase, Linda Wright, has a website with lots information, links, and listing of the regional bluegrass music activity. See it here: Page Title

The Lazy Time Pickin Parlor in Weber City, Virginia (near and south of Food City on US-23) prides itself as a refuge "for the homeless and hen-pecked musician". It's a good place to buy fiddle strings and such. Seems like there is always some folks, mostly guys, jamming there.

On Friday nights there is an open jam at the old Allison Gap School, now Ruritan Club, just north of Saltville Virginia as Allison Gap. There is also a Saturday night jam in Chilhowee, Virginia called the Smith County Jam. See here: Smyth County Jam - Home One of the well known mandolin players up there, Ron Brickey, has well documented the goings on at both locations on his YouTube channel "RonsVideoKeepers". See here: YouTube - RonsVideoKeepers's Channel

Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
Hey Off the top of my head:

Bristol Pickin Porch (Bristol Mall) - Various times/dates I think... you could google and call them.
Rheatown Store (Saturday nights roughly 7-10) - Rheatown/Chuckey Tennessee (Google it)
Red Barn - Sciota Road in Unicoi (either Friday or Saturday nights I think... I forget :/)
Fletcher Feed and Seed - Fletcher NC Feed & Seed - Bluegrass, Old time gospel, non-alcoholic family friendly concert venue and church in Fletcher, North Carolina. , NC.
Bowmantown Music Barn Collins Rd. Bowmantown, TN (Friday nights - a GOOD venue, very intimate)
The Cranberry Thistle - downtown Jonesborough, various days/nights and jams, including old-time

The ones I'm most familiar with are Rheatown, Red Barn and Bowmantown. The people that own the Bowmantown Music Barn are some of the friendliest people I've ever met, and there's food served too!

Welcome to east TN. It's a pickin' heaven. I think there's also a hardware store in downtown Rogersville??? that has jams. Not sure on that one.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM

510 posts, read 1,378,144 times
One other location I didn't mention earlier because it is seasonal and won't start happening for a couple of months is jamming on Broad Street in downtown Kingsport on Friday nights. This has apparently been going on for some considerable time and the "Bluegrass On Broad" free concert series (featuring local and touring bands) is supposed to have grown out of this jamming. From what I have observed this Friday night jamming still continues both during and after the "Bluegrass On Broad" concerts. Two usual locations are just outside "Cafe Blue" and outside "TK's Dogs and More".

I have a YouTube channel that has a couple of clips from these after-concerts jams. See here:

YouTube - Bluegrass On Broad- Jamming On Friday Night After Bluegrass Concert (24 July 2009)

and here:

YouTube - "Wayfaring Stranger"- Savannah Vaughn, Fall Creek and Friends jamming on Broad Street 24 July 2009 .

There are a number of clips on this channel from "Bluegrass On Broad" concerts: YouTube - jlw37663's Channel

Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,779,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I think there's also a hardware store in downtown Rogersville??? that has jams. Not sure on that one.
You're probably thinking of Bellamy Hardware in Surgoinsville. My parents have been there several times and really enjoyed it. Like you said, there's no shortage of pickin' places in these parts!
Bluegrass at Bellamy (http://www.bluegrassatbellamy.com/detail.html - broken link)

Welcome to NE Tennessee, uprightbass25!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,843 times
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Will be sure to check these places out.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 11,842 times
Bowmantown Music Barn is on Collins LN. Limestone TN. Not Collins Road in Bowmantown. I made that mistake my first time going. I thought my GPS had lost it's mind. Great place to go. It is a couple of miles off of US highway 11-E on the Washington County, Greene County Line. There is a 15 or 16 year old Young Man that will amaze you with his fantastic Banjo pickin.[/b]

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,842 times
I need a base player in a New Gospel Band
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol