U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 AM

9 posts, read 19,010 times
Default Housing and jobs

o.k everybody I am posting again to hopefully get some more info about Kingsport. We are wanting to move in August and I had asked about welding jobs in the area I did get some posts and I do appreciate them. I have done research online and I did not find to many jobs in the welding field. So is the economy good in kingsport or are there 100 applicants for 1 job. I have also researched that and I'm get mixed reviews the paper said there are new jobs added everyday and then I read about how people can't find jobs so If anyone has any info on that I would really appreciate it or if there are jobs in the surrounding areas I would really love to live in the Sullivan county school distriict because from what I gather they have a really good school system and we have 4 children so that's really important. Also rentals not seeing to many in the paper or craigslist are there other places I should be looking or is it better to just drive around and find them. We will basically be homeless when we get there so I just want to be sure we will be able to find a home. We would need atleast a 3 bedroom outside of town but will not be picky about that at all. I also have a working backround in nursing homes and retail are there jobs that pay decent in that area. Once again I just want to thank everyone in advance for any info that you may be able to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,218,916 times
I wouldn't give a blanket recommendation to Sullivan County Schools. North and South are pretty good, but East isn't that great, and Central is just bad.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM

363 posts, read 537,356 times
There are rentals listed on this Tri-cities classifieds- http://theeclassifieds.com/?catId=72 . Places listed here are more commonly in and around Kingsport (and at South Carolina beaches).

I don't know if I would agree with the negative view of certain Sullivan County high schools. The schools on the west end of the county may offer more opportunities due to the more urban influence but I think the results depend mostly on the students and the parents- not the school in Sullivan.

The larger employers in this area don't usually list operations and craft job openings on-line since these are recruited from the local labor market. You about need a spy network to know when things are happening. It is usually only the non-exempt technical and managerial job openings that are listed on-line since those are recruited nationally. Most newspaper jobs are listed only in the Sunday editions but I think most of those are on the various newspaper on-line editions.

I believe thing are better in the local job market than two years ago- but that isn't saying much

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM

12,508 posts, read 17,946,427 times
Do not come here without jobs lined up. I love this area and everyone has to live somewhere but please heed the advice. Times are tough here, very tough. Unless you are willing to take minimum wage jobs, and even those are hard to find at times, please don't have false expectations. You already have a job post up so this is very much a duplicate which is not allowed. As far as Kingsport itself and schools there are a lot of great posts already out there that will be wonderful for you to read. Kingsport is a nice place to live if you have things in order. It is a small town though, so if you have a job and lose it there are very few other employers out there to pick up the slack. I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to be realistic.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 19,010 times
Thanks Beretta sorry for the repost on jobs I was just looking for more feedback and I do appreciate your honesty. I do not want to move if we do not have jobs that would be very bad. Again thank you for all the info

Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM

973 posts, read 592,652 times
By the time the News says on the TV, "Local Company hiring..." it's already to late

or it at least seems that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol