U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM

30 posts, read 27,833 times

Advertisements

I regularly look at the satellite view of the Tri-Cities area (couple times a week). It always seems like there is cloud coverage shown running north and south. Starting just north and east of S. Holston lake and extending south past the eastern part of Lake Watauga and on down to N. Carolina. The rest of the surrounding areas generally seem clear. What is causing that phenomenon? Are the eastern portions of these two lakes generally cloudy?

In addition, looking at the same satallite map, it appears the area east of 75 is green while the area west of 75 is much more browner. Why is that? Looking forward to reading everyone informative replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,285,962 times
It's hard to say w/o seeing what you're seeing. Is there a way you can link what you're looking at or post a picture?

Are you talking about a regularly updated sat image or something like google that's updated about every 5 years?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM

926 posts, read 731,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearing Retirement View Post
I regularly look at the satellite view of the Tri-Cities area (couple times a week). It always seems like there is cloud coverage shown running north and south. Starting just north and east of S. Holston lake and extending south past the eastern part of Lake Watauga and on down to N. Carolina. The rest of the surrounding areas generally seem clear. What is causing that phenomenon? Are the eastern portions of these two lakes generally cloudy?

In addition, looking at the same satallite map, it appears the area east of 75 is green while the area west of 75 is much more browner. Why is that? Looking forward to reading everyone informative replies.
Those images are not updated frequently. Some are from years ago. The reason you have a mixture of brown and green foliage, or lack thereof, is that the images are a composite of images taken at various points. You might have one image that is from 2010 next to a 2007 image.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM

367 posts, read 564,963 times
Those clouds you describe are definitely a feature on the sat view being used by Google maps and some other sites that link to the Google image. This can get really strange if you are looking at a site (one I frequent) such as Weather-Underground's "WonderMap" and select the satellite view background with current cloud view. You get to see the current clouds mixed with the three year old clouds that others here mentioned.

Those brown, green, and other shades on the sat view have nothing to do with vegetation issues here. That's just a result of their quilting together images from different sources made in different times and seasons.

I think you have to work for NSA (or the Russians) to get live sat view like those on Google maps.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM

30 posts, read 27,833 times
Default Duh, I didn't know the Google satallite map was that old!

I am sure glad I posted this request for information. I have viewed this satellite map perhaps 50 times during the past two years since I want to retire near Lake Watauga or S. Holston Lake. I was beginning to think both had perpetual gray skies; and, I am more of a sun shinning kind of guy.

My wife and I will be visiting next summer for a week. We are planning to camp at two state parks. Could anyone recommend a nice state park with electrical hook ups near both lakes. Though, we will be sleeping in a tent, we like to have running water and electric. Need the power to brew coffee in the am, and to run our blender in the evening, etc. We want to spend three nights near both lakes.

You are all so helpful to us out-of-state folks looking to learn more about your beautiful area. Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Nearing Retirement; 10-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Mis-spelled word

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,285,962 times
If you want to see current cloud cover, these sights are good, but the background map still won't be current... hopefully the links work.

Intellicast - Weather Active Map

Satellite Images - NOAA's National Weather Service

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Infrared Satellite

Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,388 times
These are "smoky mountains", esp. Fall and Winter at higher elevations.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 PM

50 posts, read 60,849 times
My husband and I are building our retirement home near Lake Watauga with a view of Holston Mountain and I can assure you we have many days of bright blue skies.

One very nice campground that is right in that area is Watauga Dam Tailwater TVA campground. ( TVA: Camping and Recreation Areas ). During the height of the summer it's pretty hard to find an open camp site, but it is one of the prettiest campgrounds I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol